Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 08:24 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

No to mention, just how long did Gov. DoNothing wait before he decided the states transportation problem was important enough to address, around the same time he decided he needs a "Win" politically to run on for reelection? Pennsylvania's Transportation problems were brewing long before either Obama or DoNothing took office, so its not something that happened overnight.
and then urban democrats decided that not allowing corbett a win was more important than funding infrastructure. it cuts both ways, with the exception of VA, both political parties have shown a inability to govern effectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 08:27 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I don't like the term "obstruct" as it is divisive and implies malevolent intent.
The House has now held 40 votes to repeal the ACA. Obstruct is a pretty good word for what is happening.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:29 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The House has now held 40 votes to repeal the ACA. Obstruct is a pretty good word for what is happening.

Obstruct on whose part?

Some would say that the Democrats and President Obama are obstructing the way to ACA repeal- else 40 votes wouldn't have been necessary.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Some would say that the Democrats and President Obama are obstructing the way to ACA repeal- else 40 votes wouldn't have been necessary.
Those 40 votes weren't necessary. They are in fact complete pointless except as campaign fodder. The Senate hasn't held even a single vote since Obama won and the House can't do anything by itself.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:32 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Actually, the number of railroads has really dropped off since I was a kid. Maybe its time for a "Trails to Rails" program if that is going to be a reality.

The other possibility is to make better use of the rivers for moving freight, a lot less industrial traffic out on Pittsburgh waterfront that there was in the past.
actually, inland shipping is the most havily subsidized form of transportation. It isn't inherently bad I suppose, but unlike the railroads that actually benefit from government inaction (although railroads receive government funding, they largely fund improvements on their own and don't engage in endless political wrangling over what projects to fund) the inland shipping system is reliant on congressional action. I'm not an expert but as I understand it, it's been poorly funded for years and the funding they have had has gone to dubious projects.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:36 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Those 40 votes weren't necessary. They are in fact complete pointless except as campaign fodder. The Senate hasn't held even a single vote since Obama won and the House can't do anything by itself.

The 40 votes might be a waste of time, but wasting time isn't "obstruction".

Old 08-09-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
The 40 votes might be a waste of time, but wasting time isn't "obstruction".
Doing something pointless when you can't pass something necessary, like a transportation bill, is pretty much the definition of obstruction. And that's exactly what happened last week. (Which bring us back to infrastructure. Hooray.)

Old 08-09-2013, 08:41 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
and then urban democrats decided that not allowing corbett a win was more important than funding infrastructure. it cuts both ways, with the exception of VA, both political parties have shown a inability to govern effectively.
Still Gov DoNothing had AMPLE opportunity to get out in front of this, and he chose to place it on the back burner until he needed it politically and now its too late, why should the Dems give him a "Win" when's he's done nothing but thumb is nose at this issue up until it became critical. Sorry I have no sympathy for DoNothing, he brought this on himself.

The Republican Congress, John Boehner, Mitch McConnell....Have said themselves, out of their own mouths, they were sent to Washington to Obstruct this President, they will be judged based on legislation they can Repeal not Pass. They are doing just that, yet no-one see the need to hold them accountable for the Country's mess, its all at the hands of the mighty O.... GMAFBreak.

Now you have members of Congress talking that "Shut down the Government" BS again in order to kill the Affordable Care Act. UGH!

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 08-09-2013 at 08:50 AM..

Old 08-09-2013, 08:49 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,574 times
Quote:
The Stimulus was passed, and that was supposed to cure the infrastructure problem...
I'm reasonably sure that you're ascribing motivations and promises to the Stimulus in hindsight that were not promised in real time.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:05 AM

21 posts, read 33,717 times
The answer to problems like this are actually pretty easy:
Give the bridges to private businesses. Require that they carry a $10B insurance policy.

Whatever company is formed to hold the bridge will charge an appropriate toll and keep the bridge in shape. $10B is a big incentive not to allow problems, and the insurance company will be very motivated to make sure the bridge stays in good shape. It's also enough to pay families $10M per person for 1000 deaths should something catastrophic happen. It wouldn't bring anybody back, but again, it's a big incentive for the business to keep the bridge in shape.

The users of the bridge will pay for it's upkeep through tolls, as they should. Taxpayers who do not use the bridge will no longer be forced to pay for it.

You might be worried that the business might try to jack up the tolls, which I'm sure they will. But in the city of bridges, people have a lot of options for getting from point A to point B, including other paths, mass transit across the bridge, and carpooling across the bridge, or even working from home when possible. In the end, that will keep tolls in line with the value of crossing the bridge. You might not allow the same business to own more than one bridge, just to make sure there's competition.

Michael
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh