Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:33 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Couple this with passing by bus after bus after bus that had people packed so that their faces were in each other's armpits, and I still don't understand why the popular next "T" extension will be to Cranberry Township instead of through the East End.
I think it's just easier because of terrain and such (better than nothing). Even just extending to Oakland would be a big help.

I'd take it out to the airport before the East End, but that's probably because I'm on the Parkway West much more often than East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 09:35 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. Traffic at rush-hour this evening was just brutal. There were vehicles lined up all the way from the light in Schenley Park at Boulevard of the Allies/Greenfield Road/Bartlett Road back to around Ward Street in South Oakland. When I tried making a delivery from Mad Mex in South Oakland to the Pittsburgh part of Regent Square traffic was backed up on outbound Forbes Avenue from Braddock Avenue almost to Dallas Avenue. Even LATER this evening it took me three light cycles to get INTO the Strip District via the 28th Street Bridge from Polish Hill, and it also took me three light cycles to get onto Bigelow Boulevard from Paulowna Street, which was backed up in its entirety.

Couple this with passing by bus after bus after bus that had people packed so that their faces were in each other's armpits, and I still don't understand why the popular next "T" extension will be to Cranberry Township instead of through the East End.
That sucks man. I used to deliver for the Greenfield Vocelli's. I can't ever remember Schenley being backed up that bad.

My fiance's after work bus, scheduled for 6:15, didn't show up. When she caught one at 7:30, the bus driver blamed the bad traffic. Clearly, there was more at play than that (and she called him out on it). Regardless, traffic DOES cause problems for the extensive bus system, and the buses don't help the traffic. There has to be a better, and ultimately less expensive way.

We need expansion of the T and/or proper use of Bus Rapid Transit (i.e. use the busways properly) in all areas of this region. When my fiance lived in Dormont, commuting was a breeze (except on Sundays, which will probably never change, no matter how much infrastructure is improved).

Old 10-18-2013, 12:28 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,435 times
This is the more detailed version of the map, shows exactly what streets and rail lines these routes would be utilizing.

From my quick analysis, it appears that only the eastern halves of the Orange, Red, and light blue lines would have the extra logistical issues of needing new track investment on city streets.

All of the other lines plus the western portions of the lines in question would be following already extant right-away and in most of those cases the rail infrastructure is still intact.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:34 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
why wouldn't the west busway line come in at the point, join the current T at wood st, and continue on to oakland? seems like to would be a lot faster to the major points

Old 10-18-2013, 12:41 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
Thanks.

The current system of half-assed bus service
Stop right there,

There is just so much that could be done with the bus service that could turn Pittsburgh's transit from a negative into a positive, and it would all cost less than a fraction of what it would to implement this fantastical rail system.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:44 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
All of the other lines plus the western portions of the lines in question would be following already extant right-away and in most of those cases the rail infrastructure is still intact.
Yeah, but whose right-of-way? Rail companies are not exactly known for their friendliness when it comes to sharing their trackage with public trains.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:47 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
... would all cost less than a fraction of what it would to implement this fantastical rail system.
My first thought on seeing this was that it was impractical even for a day dream. The more detailed map airwave09 provided really drives home that point. That's just a phenomenally dense network of rail lines.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:50 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,965,362 times
Is this supposed to be all underground? Should come in anywhere between $10 and $20 billion, minimum. No problem. I'm always fascinated when people suggest light rail for the 279 median to the north, thereby completely bypassing the dense neighborhoods of the North Side and North Hills where people actually live.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:50 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Yeah, but whose right-of-way? Rail companies are not exactly known for their friendliness when it comes to sharing their trackage with public trains.
the T is also trolley gauge. It would be much easier to run latrobe-beaver "commuter" service along freight trackage using traditional commuter rail. the expensive part would be shoehorning an extra track in areas where the east busway infringed upon the rail right of way. that right of way is among the busiest in the country but as long as capacity is improved it should be able to accomodate additional service. luckily for pittsburgh the main line used to be four tracks from NY to Chicago which means restoring track rather tha building new right of way. It's currently 40 minutes by train from Pittsburgh to Greensburg which is half the bus trip and competitive with driving. seems like the way to go for a regional service.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:04 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
This is the more detailed version of the map, shows exactly what streets and rail lines these routes would be utilizing.

From my quick analysis, it appears that only the eastern halves of the Orange, Red, and light blue lines would have the extra logistical issues of needing new track investment on city streets.

The orange and purple lines show how the creator of this map was looking solely at a street map. There is absolutely NO WAY these lines could be done in this fashion with the topography, at least near the "Greenfield" station and the portion of the orange line between Mt. Oliver and the River. So yes, definitely a fantasy.

The real question is, which of these lines is most sorely needed and/or which line is most likely to be completed next? Sadly, the answers to questions are most likely mutually exclusive, i.e. "Spine Line" and the Parkway North or Airport corridors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh