Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:37 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
If you drive to NYC, you're going to pay like $50 each way in tolls.
I understand its $13 to go through the Lincoln Tunnel, but besides that it is easy enough to go without tolls on I80
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 10:00 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I understand its $13 to go through the Lincoln Tunnel
Yowzah. I'm old. It was $1.50 to go through the tunnels when I started driving. Fifty cents each way when I was a kid.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:49 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
every week?! Have fun!

Old 10-26-2013, 10:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I understand its $13 to go through the Lincoln Tunnel, but besides that it is easy enough to go without tolls on I80
If driving, it's probably easier to park at a NJTransit or PATH (Harrison has the easiest parking) and take the train in.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:55 PM

43 posts, read 150,586 times
I always liked Amtrack since the seats are large and roomy and you can walk around or go to the snack car, but it seriously is the slow boat to China between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg and I frequently hear they want to cut service to Pittsburgh.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:04 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbob2 View Post
I always liked Amtrack since the seats are large and roomy and you can walk around or go to the snack car, but it seriously is the slow boat to China between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg and I frequently hear they want to cut service to Pittsburgh.
for the time being the service is safe, it is very slow between harrisburg and pittsburgh but a lot more comfortable than the bus. they have a good rewards program. in the end it's tradeoffs, the bus is much cheaper but the ride to ny is a little long for my tastes (on a bus). I do wish they'd fix the pittsburgh run. they're knocking two hours off the run from detroit to chicago, why not Pittsburgh Philly/NY?

Old 10-26-2013, 06:21 PM

369 posts, read 463,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiemyshoe View Post
I'm currently a CMU grad student and I need to go to NYC every week for recruiting.

I've looked into several transportation methods to get to NYC and was wondering if I may have missed any:

1. Megabus - $150
2. Flight - $400
3. Fly to BOS then take bus to NYC - $160 ($70 one-way + $10 bus)*2
4. ???

Thanks!
I found round trip to LGA for as low as $235 on Delta using some random dates a month or so in advance.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:30 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times
Hitch hike or Craigslist ride shares.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:58 AM

271 posts, read 332,241 times
I have done NYC to PIT many times to visit family via car, bus and flight. Only trip I haven't taken is Amtrak because there is only one train per day that goes straight from PIT to NYC and takes more than 9 hours; there is another train that that takes you to NYC via Washington, D.C. and takes between 11-12 hours. There is no easy way to do the trip that is both cost and time effective.

CAR: Getting into and out of NYC will be the biggest hassle, depending on where you need to be in NYC. I live in Brooklyn and go through Staten Island via the Goethals and Verrazano bridges, and you cannot escape the bridges and tunnels tolls no matter which way you go. I've also gone through the Holland Tunnel (both in and out), and it's not uncommon for it to take me an hour to get out of the city. You haven't lived until you sat at a stoplight on Canal street for 15 minutes without moving an inch. Then, once you're out of the city, you can either take 80 (I've never done this, but this is the route that Megabus takes, since it stops in State College), NJ Turnpike to PA Turnpike (my preferred way, although there are always issues and/or traffic on the NJ Turnpike), or 78 through Allentown to the PA Turnpike through Harrisburg. Tolls on the turnpike are costly, but I like the frequent rest areas (Starbucks at each one, most have been remodeled in the past 3 years) and decent roads. My record time is under 6 hours, but the drive has also taken me as long as 9 hours.

BUS: I have only done Megabus, and it takes betweden 8 and 9 hours depending on traffic. There is always two stops between PIT and NYC - one a rest stop near Hazelton, another in State College, and then a final stop at the Convention Center in Pitt. Cost usually runs between $35-50 each way, depending on weekday/weekend, etc. I've mainly done it on the weekends when the bus is packed. Megabus is great because it has internet, power outlets, and not too many crazy people on the bus (mainly students and younger folks, for the most part).

FLIGHT: Fastest way, depending on which airport you fly into. You can fly into EWR/Newark, LGA/Laguardia, or JFK. EWR and JFK will give you the best access to public transport to get into the city, LGA you will need a cab or other ride (you can do bus to subway, but not an easy connection). Will be the costliest, but there are direct flights on Delta and US Air. Has cost me between $125 and $400 each way when I've done this. I usually don't fly because the airport is not near family that live south of Pittsburgh, and I am not a huge fan of the PIT airport. Flying time is about 1 hour in the air and doesn't include the hassle/time/cost of getting to and from each airport.

TRAIN: As I said, I've never done this, and can't imagine why you would, and this is coming from a person who loves Amtrak. It is never convienent for the time I need it, it costs about $120-150 each way, and if I'm paying that much, I'd rather just fly. That said, if you have time to kill and love the train, I suppose you could do worse.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSantoRules View Post

TRAIN: As I said, I've never done this, and can't imagine why you would, and this is coming from a person who loves Amtrak. It is never convenient for the time I need it, it costs about $120-150 each way, and if I'm paying that much, I'd rather just fly. That said, if you have time to kill and love the train, I suppose you could do worse.
I found $73 each way from Amtrak's website, if you book ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh