Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:31 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
I hope you get a $50 ticket.
I won't. It's a complimentary space, not a legally enforceable space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I love those hybrid/green car parking spaces. They're up front & usually empty & I know there's no actual law that you can get ticketed for parking in them
Exactly. I have never seen one, but I'll purposely park in it if I see one. Not for convenience. On principle.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Heh. I've seen a couple hybrid/alt fuel spaces, lower level of EastSide development near (where else?) Whole Foods. It's been a while and I never really noticed if it was always adhered to or not, seemed like perhaps not. That parking lot is jammed much of the time and I could see people getting frustrated. Still, they are not exactly up front. They are down by the Starbucks. At the Wexford Whole Foods they actually have two charging points for electric vehicles. Probably could use each one from any of several spaces around it. I leave a space open near it just in case, although there's no signage about it at all and I think I've seen a car plugged in once or twice. It's just as easy to get a space a few more feet away, not a big deal there.

Giant Eagle has the new and expectant mothers spaces.

The Sheetz no van/suv spots are so they can maintain a clear view from inside.

Spaces for the disabled, I would err on the side of assuming the person has a problem as long as they have a placard or plate. I don't feel like I witness much if any abuse to these but I'm not sure. Normally I just see a car parked in one from time to time, and it typically has a placard or plate.

What drives me more nuts is that people insist upon driving around with the long mirror placard still in place. Please, for the sake of all of us, put that thing away while driving because it's blocking your view.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:10 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,678 times
Can someone explain this completely incomprehensible hatred of spaces for (more) environmentally-friendly vehicles? The bizarre rationale so far seems to be that they shouldn't exist because they "aren't legally enforceable." A lot of matters of store policy or common courtesy aren't legally enforceable -- does it also make you furious when Aldi charges $0.25 for shopping carts? Should I call the police next time they ask for their usurious, unenforceable cart tax?

The ironic thing is that the people this likely bothers most (i.e., Republicans) would be the first to defend a private organization or corporation's right to exclude based upon, e.g., orientation or race. Suddenly when the exclusion is of gas-guzzlin', gun-totin' embodiments of America, we have a problem.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:23 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Can someone explain this completely incomprehensible hatred of spaces for (more) environmentally-friendly vehicles? The bizarre rationale so far seems to be that they shouldn't exist because they "aren't legally enforceable." A lot of matters of store policy or common courtesy aren't legally enforceable -- does it also make you furious when Aldi charges $0.25 for shopping carts? Should I call the police next time they ask for their usurious, unenforceable cart tax?

The ironic thing is that the people this likely bothers most (i.e., Republicans) would be the first to defend a private organization or corporation's right to exclude based upon, e.g., orientation or race. Suddenly when the exclusion is of gas-guzzlin', gun-totin' embodiments of America, we have a problem.
I have no issue with charging for carts - unless I pay a quarter for one with a tack or flat spot in the tire.

Look at this way - Aldi is the supermarket version of a discount airline. You're free to go there and take advantage of lower prices, but if you want frills, you're going to pay.

Spaces for hybrids near the door just don't make sense to me from a marketing or business perspective. I don't understand the motive. I'd rather see more efforts put into bringing your own bag or recycling the ones they give you (which are always too many for what you actually bought).

Old 10-28-2013, 10:45 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
They should make a law where gas guzzlin, Murican monster machines are against the law. The only time a vehicle is allowed to get 3 MPG is when it's a food truck serving me organic free range locally grown gluten free sustainable fair trade vegan heirloom artisan hormone free certified humane non GMO kim-chi lentil burritos.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:46 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,088 times
Quote:

I am the furthest thing from a Republican, and I think spaces for particular kinds of cars are silly. Especially if a company gets points towards LEED certification for them. The building should be green, not the parking lot. Especially since the owner of the building can't really control what cars are coming to their business. I wouldn't park in one of those spaces. Especially if I owned a hybrid.

And btw, Aldi's doesn't really charge $.25 for carts. You get the $.25 back when you return the cart. It's more akin to a refundable deposit for borrowing one. And I think all markets should do that -- it cuts down significantly on the number of carts littered about the parking lot.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:50 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
They should make a law where gas guzzlin, Murican monster machines are against the law. The only time a vehicle is allowed to get 3 MPG is when it's a food truck serving me organic free range locally grown gluten free sustainable fair trade vegan heirloom artisan hormone free certified humane non GMO kim-chi lentil burritos.
For the record, I do think that food trucks are pretty ironically wasteful and I don't understand the current hipster love affair with them remotely.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:53 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
For the record, I do think that food trucks are pretty ironically wasteful and I don't understand the current hipster love affair with them remotely.
Haha yeah, wasn't trying to be a jag towards you directly, just goofing.

Hypocrisy runs rampant round these parts, might as well poke fun at it.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:

I'm only registered as a Republican so I can undermine the party during the primaries. I'm very liberal and usually vote Democrate. I oppose the environmental parking spaces because they are only created to get green certification for buildings. If the building isn't doesn't have enough points to qualify as green without those parking spaces, the building isn't green. It's downright silly for preference to be given to physically able bodied people just because they drive a special car. I would only respect a parking space like that if it had a electrical outlet for charging the vehicle. That makes sense. Giving a space simply to get green certification doesn't make sense. It's further silly that the people who drive these cars think the spaces are there to reward them for having the money to buy an expensive new car, or for carrying more debt than they can handle because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh