Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:05 PM

8 posts, read 15,674 times

Advertisements

Ligonier is the new place to be. Thriving downtown and new homes and condos going up on Main Street. Music every night of the week in one of the many cafes or dining options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 11:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 711tbh View Post
Ligonier is the new place to be. Thriving downtown and new homes and condos going up on Main Street. Music every night of the week in one of the many cafes or dining options.
That's great news! Thank you for letting us know.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:39 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
If you folks have music every night, I think you are more cultured that Pittsburgh. We have a TON of TVs though and lots of sports and crap on them. No one talks to each other, but we have big screens here. Nice to hear there is someplace with MUSIC and wow it is actually LIVE!

Old 04-02-2014, 07:25 AM

288 posts, read 511,476 times
Quote:
Where has live music in Ligonier and what type? I was there for Ligonier days and it is a very nice community. Very old money though and far away from high paying jobs. Strikes me as a place that could become a huge hipster community like Thomas, WV.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:05 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Ligonier? Ha, April Fool!

Old 04-02-2014, 03:28 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,596 times
The one time I was in Ligonier, I did see a ska band playing at a bowling alley, FWIW.

Also, they have the taxidermy bar to end all taxidermy bars. That damn squirrel archer haunts my dreams...

Old 04-03-2014, 07:53 AM

632 posts, read 853,610 times
You want one that would shock everybody? Mount Oliver.

Reasons being:

1) It is just a quick coast down South 18th. Street to the hot and hip South Side
2) It has fallen on such incredibly hard times that it is dirt cheap
3) Despite it's current condition, the Brownsville Rd. business district has tons of potential

Might be crazy given the nightly gunplay going on in neighboring Beltzhoover,
but I think it has a shot.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:16 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
Might be crazy given the nightly gunplay going on in neighboring Beltzhoover,
but I think it has a shot.
From everything I've heard Beltzhoover has gotten pretty quiet now. Sort of similar to Larimer and California-Kirkbride, so much has been demolished that it's become more of a ghost town than a raging ghetto, and the real rough stuff has moved to Knoxville and Allentown.

Mount Oliver has great bones, but I don't think I see it being brought back by gentrifiers. I think it would work great though if some immigrant community settled in there, as the Nepalese have been doing in Carrick.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:53 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
^Compared to the the early and mid 2000's yes The Zhoove is getting better, but there was gunplay recently (some body was shot at for the second time this year...wonder what business he does for a living?) And there IS gun play every month. Three people were brutally gunned down there last year. Two of them were law abiding- a mother of six kids and an honors student... And the young man who was potentially a gang banger was shot over ten times as he collapsed and killed infront of his family home. The rounds of gunfire woke up 1/4th of the neighborhood. One of the city's most violent gang rivalries is ongoing partially in Beltzhoover and it will never stop.
-Allentown south of Cres Way is bad and its badness is a bit under estimated by many due to the population of "yinzer whites"/"Cheddar Bob whites" (opposed to "Emeniem whites")... However the blocks of Beltzhoover Ave, Eureka Street, and McLain Street are safe and lacking several negative ascpects that the core of Allentown has. That area is comparable to parts of Mt. Washington and parts of Carrick. Same can be said for the area on the other side of Arlington Ave.
-Knoxville is where there's now the most trouble on the S.Hilltop. A kid recently got killed playing "army". There's alot of encroachment of territory between gangs in Northern Knoxville so there's a lot of: disorderly conduct, criminal activity, fights and shoot outs.
-Southern Knoxville's rough too, just not at the level of the core of Allentown let alone Mt. Oliver Boro let alone Beltzhoover/Northern Knoxville. Luckily the Moore Avenue Crips gang gets along with the Smash Gang Darccide Crips.
The Beltzhoover rivalry moved to Southern most Knoxville/Mt. Oliver Boro when St. Clair Village closed even Northern Knoxville has people from St. Clair Village so that has heated things up in the last 5-9 years.
-Mt. Oliver Boro has a large part that is gang free and fine, yet the bad part is as bad as the worst parts of Homestead or Hazelwood or Garfield or Perry Hilltop. Decline seems simply enviable. Gangs are worse now than when they moved from St. Clair Village back in 2005-2010, as they've settled in.

-Much of Carrick doesn't deserve its rep and its badness was overblown by me and other forum members back in 2011-2012. Yet parts of the neighborhood and Brownsville Rd are bad.
-Arlington is the place where things ARE notably getting quieter/turning around. Arlington Heights 7 remaing buildings are no joke, yet they're mostly quiet these days too. I'd rather live in Glen Hazel than Arlington Heights if I had to live in Pittsburgh housing authority.
Mt. Oliver (city proper) can be trashy on some blocks but most of the area is just a stagnant lower-working class Yinzer area with a few other ethnic minorities & a black population who often live proportionally worse off.
-Brentwood near Carrick is starting to get stagnant.
-Beechview has parts riddled with wannabee gangsters and low lives of all colors. Though most of Beechview is fine...
^As with Mt. Washington's seedy areas.

Common trend with the Southside Hilltop is that there is likely a higher percent of low income blacks than working class blacks while there is a higher percent of working class whites than low income whites in alot of areas. Yet the people who have it the worst aren't always people from the most awful blocks of Beltzhoover/Knoxville. For example, The poorest whites from Allentown/Mt. Oliver Boro & the poorest African American residents from Mt. Washington/Carrick generally have it worse than the average blacks from Betzhoover/Knoxville.
So the classes of neighborhoods don't always determine the badness & the safety of neighborhoods doesn't always determine the population of stuggling people.

Last edited by Uptown kid; 04-03-2014 at 03:29 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 03:00 PM

632 posts, read 853,610 times
Glad to hear Beltzhoover has quieted down. My uncle taught school there for many years. I think he went to work wearing body armor. Any friends I had living there got smart and moved out thirty years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh