Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 10:48 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Urban sprawl likely has nothing to do with this. It appears the woman let someone in her house voluntarily, and she was someone who assumed the best about people. This could happen anywhere, regardless of the neighborhood.
I really dislike the 'blame the victim' mentality that often seems to occur when crime victims live in a neighborhood that isn't Sewickly or Fox Chapel.
And it seems dangerous to decide who the killer was and post information about him without concrete evidence. Does anyone remember Richard Jewell?
Yeah sure, whatever you say. Not blaming the victim either, I am just pointing out in bad areas there is a lot of crime and one heck of a lot of people with guns. It is what it is in a lot of the city proper. That is why there is urban sprawl. Kind of obvious really and not worth the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 11:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Yeah sure, whatever you say. Not blaming the victim either, I am just pointing out in bad areas there is a lot of crime and one heck of a lot of people with guns. It is what it is in a lot of the city proper. That is why there is urban sprawl. Kind of obvious really and not worth the discussion.
I'm sure most of your neighbors have guns, Curtis. We do. Most of our neighbors do too. If anything, the city is filled with more liberals who are less likely to own guns. Out in the suburbs, you have many conservatives who own many guns. Gun ownership is higher in the suburbs than in large cities. The fact is states with higher gun ownership have lower violent crime rates. Suicides by firearms are higher in suburban areas.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:04 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm sure most of your neighbors have guns, Curtis. We do. Most of our neighbors do too. If anything, the city is filled with more liberals who are less likely to own guns. Out in the suburbs, you have many conservatives who own many guns. Gun ownership is higher in the suburbs than in large cities. The fact is states with higher gun ownership have lower violent crime rates. Suicides by firearms are higher in suburban areas.

The number of legally registered firearms are definitely higher in suburban areas, the total number of guns in each area is necessarily not completely known. Although there may be polls on the issue, who is going to admit to some character taking a poll that they have an illegal weapon.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:31 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The number of legally registered firearms are definitely higher in suburban areas, the total number of guns in each area is necessarily not completely known. Although there may be polls on the issue, who is going to admit to some character taking a poll that they have an illegal weapon.
Hey, you beat me to my response and of course you are correct.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:36 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
And only illegal guns can be used to kill people. And everyone who lives in the suburbs is mentally stable and law abiding. What am I waiting for--if I stay in the city I deserve something bad to happen to me, and it's only a matter of time!

Old 03-02-2014, 08:33 AM

50 posts, read 66,289 times
Yes, the suburban areas are immune to gun violence!

Old 03-02-2014, 09:02 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by macharoni View Post
Yes, the suburban areas are immune to gun violence!
Obviously no one is "immune", but there are things called statistics. There are shootings all the time in the city. Of course you can pull out a couple of suburbs in your argument that are also full of gunfire.

Regardless of all this, this murder is horrible and I am sad to see that it isn't solved. The longer it goes unsolved, the less chance they will catch the guy. Scary and I feel for those living around that area in the city. I am sure it is pretty unsettling.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 AM

50 posts, read 66,289 times
Quote:
Obviously no one is "immune", but there are things called statistics. There are shootings all the time in the city. Of course you can pull out a couple of suburbs in your argument that are also full of gunfire.
I don't think anyone is going to argue that large urban areas have the highest rates of murders by gun.
But it can also be argued that the majority of mass killings occur outside of the urban area. And also the majority of these same mass killers got their guns legally.

Quote:
Regardless of all this, this murder is horrible and I am sad to see that it isn't solved.
That's what this thread is about -and I agree!

Old 03-03-2014, 02:29 PM

248 posts, read 326,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This thread is derailed for sure but that "datamash" shouldn't be read as evidence of anything. In fact the data behind it actually shows the opposite, that states with low gun ownership have less violent crime.

Look at the table instead of the map, then go down the list looking for violent crime rates that seem lower than the others. Then look across to gun ownership. The map is an awesome example of someone creating their own math to create "evidence".

Old 03-03-2014, 02:40 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoh View Post
This thread is derailed for sure but that "datamash" shouldn't be read as evidence of anything. In fact the data behind it actually shows the opposite, that states with low gun ownership have less violent crime.

Look at the table instead of the map, then go down the list looking for violent crime rates that seem lower than the others. Then look across to gun ownership. The map is an awesome example of someone creating their own math to create "evidence".
Yup. Some examples

Massachusetts - Violent crime rate of 431.5. 1% of households have loaded gun.

South Carolina - Violent crime rate of 788.3. 8.9% of households have loaded gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh