Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 02:31 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
The issues that we face As I have said in the past, there are 15 to 20 idiots per hood that wreak havoc on the masses. Most black kids want to do good. Most do considering the circumstances. Most black children do not tote guns and fire at will. Most black kids want to feel safe in their communties. Hundreds of young black men attend a 6 week education and mentoring workshop at the Kingsley center in East Liberty. Hundreds of young black men attend 100 Black Men functions that include everything from golfing to college prep. Jack and Jill and the list goes on and on.
I agree with the above what leaves me scratching my head though is how this small minority can continue to operate without being so ostracized by their community that they are pushed out rather then seemingly holding the majority at bay which seems to be the actual case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 03:02 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Probably either 800 block of Mellon or N St Clair. There are a bunch of renovations going on and houses are selling for 400-465k on those blocks.

http://alturl.com/k23be

The overgrown house on the left with the fence looks fantastic and is under contract right now. Was listed at 419k.
Wow! Thats it!!! That price is reasonable for a renovated house that large. From the side you can see how deep the lot really is. Amazing transformation but too large of a house for my family.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:49 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,380,495 times
Quote:
I think that when uptown lumps an entire area, neighborhood, square mile, etc together and calls it a crime zone when the majority of people who live there are not criminals, it is almost as bad when hcurtis says that all of the poor people in east liberty need to be uprooted and sent to another part of town because they are "leaches" or whatever he called them.
Go back to page 3 and look at my post. Clearly I said the opposite of what your accusing of, and Ihad the same problem with h curtis's post.

And if I may ask what are you say about the 600 blocks of Negley-Highland? All I said is that there is a drug crew there (for the record didn't say everybody was a dope dealer) are you denying that or what. Also I am firm believer that gangsters do not make up the majority of there neighborhoods. However their legacy in addition to other flaws of society, often creat a high crime society. Dead men tell tales. If an area has had over 30 homicides in 5 years, its a bad area (ie large residential sections of Homewood, Hill, Wilkinsburg).

I recognize change in East Liberty, not too long ago gangs claimed turf on almost the whole section of northern East Liberty (to be clear thats more gangsters and drug spots which is still a small precent, and not all black men nor the whole neighborhood being filled with drug houses). I didn't use my knowledge that the drug dealers on Negley and Mellon-Highland and Larimer Avenue Hoods street gang have a shaky relationship with the Garfield Bloods, for anything but to bring light to situation regarding the red hoodie statement. I didn't imply that everybody was a drug dealer on either my first or second post here.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I agree with the above what leaves me scratching my head though is how this small minority can continue to operate without being so ostracized by their community that they are pushed out rather then seemingly holding the majority at bay which seems to be the actual case.
A suicidal ruthless murderer can be kind of scary. There are too many adult men absent from the community. All the real men moved their families to thr suburbs. Heck, even the successful drug dealers moved their families tothe suburbs.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:07 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Do you have any idea of how much rent rates have increased in Pittsburgh? Do you understand supply and demand? I would say Pittsburgh is on the move up and people are moving into the city. It is getting better and will progress. Slower than I want, but still in the right direction.
There has not been a population boom by any stretch of the imagination. Pittsburgh was affordable in 2006 when the average income was between 33-35K and rents were 500 to 700 a month. Now the average income is between 37-38k and rents are 900-1200. I just don't see it. We haven't gained 10s of thousands of new residents, jobs or business startups. People are trying to charge these high prices for a market that doesn't exist nor can pay the prices. I have heard some of the newly renovated apartment buildings downtown aren't anywhere near filled with tenants.

There is no way the rise in rental prices will be sustained with the below average wages being paid in Pittsburgh.

Plus, If there was such a shortage of apartments and high demand, why did the owner of allegheny center apartment complex (largest apt complex in the city limits) not put any money into the complex and completely vacate /close one of their 10 story apartment buildings? Especially with its close proximity to downtown? Why would you do that if there is all of this money to be made?

This housing shortage is nothing but smoke and mirrors....

Old 02-18-2014, 04:57 PM

RiverView and the PMC apartments in gateway center are fully leased. These are the latest apartments to hit the market. I dont think there are any new rental vacancies available in downtown. For sale condos are another story though.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:40 PM

461 posts, read 748,928 times
Where should the ghetto move to? What area is less "prime"? There are decent people in middle class and poor neighborhoods, and we don't want gun-toting fools, either. Every city seems to have too many lost souls who really cannot function in society, and we are at a loss for what to do with them or how to help them to change their ways (assuming that is even possible). But please - just because I live in a lower income neighborhood, don't go trying to throw these miscreants next door to me.

Quote:
You just relocate the ghetto to a less prime area. Bye, bye. It is that simple, if the dumb government would let the natural progression take place. The city needs income to progress, not leaches.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:51 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Do you have any idea of how much rent rates have increased in Pittsburgh? Do you understand supply and demand? I would say Pittsburgh is on the move up and people are moving into the city. It is getting better and will progress. Slower than I want, but still in the right direction.
Argue with the ignorant and you become part of the ignorant.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:53 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
Where should the ghetto move to? What area is less "prime"? There are decent people in middle class and poor neighborhoods, and we don't want gun-toting fools, either. Every city seems to have too many lost souls who really cannot function in society, and we are at a loss for what to do with them or how to help them to change their ways (assuming that is even possible). But please - just because I live in a lower income neighborhood, don't go trying to throw these miscreants next door to me.
Neighborhoods change over time, both ethnically and socioeconomically. Change is the only constant, your neighborhood isn't going to stay where its at. No city neighborhood is the same as it was when it was first settled.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:58 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
RiverView and the PMC apartments in gateway center are fully leased. These are the latest apartments to hit the market. I dont think there are any new rental vacancies available in downtown. For sale condos are another story though.
No they aren't. Riverview was around 60 to 70 percent full and PMC has a lot of unleased units on penn ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh