Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 04:36 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
You know whats funny about this? The fact that cleveland is so much worse than pittsburgh, but has so much more revenue coming in. How do you figure that?

Cleveland city budget for 2013 was 1.3 billion dollars and they had a 50 million dollar surplus. Pittsburgh's city budget for 2013 was 460 million and either broke even or had a 3 million surplus max.

How is cleveland able to pay 176,000 for a public safety director, operate hopkins airport, and still show a 50 million dollar surplus? While people claim pittsburgh as all of these jobs and new people coming in but cannot pay its bills or come close to offering the same salary as cleveland. Pittsburgh charges 3 percent wage tax while the city of cleveland is 1 percent.

I am sorry I do not buy all of these feel good articles about pittsburgh being the greatest. Nor do I buy these articles stating cleveland is the worst.
How can you argue with experts! People who write news articles are experts! Especially according to you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 04:45 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Um......Cleveland has much more revenue coming in because they have a larger population?

Old 02-26-2014, 04:50 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
You know whats funny about this? The fact that cleveland is so much worse than pittsburgh, but has so much more revenue coming in. How do you figure that?

Cleveland city budget for 2013 was 1.3 billion dollars and they had a 50 million dollar surplus. Pittsburgh's city budget for 2013 was 460 million and either broke even or had a 3 million surplus max.

How is cleveland able to pay 176,000 for a public safety director, operate hopkins airport, and still show a 50 million dollar surplus? While people claim pittsburgh as all of these jobs and new people coming in but cannot pay its bills or come close to offering the same salary as cleveland. Pittsburgh charges 3 percent wage tax while the city of cleveland is 1 percent.

I am sorry I do not buy all of these feel good articles about pittsburgh being the greatest. Nor do I buy these articles stating cleveland is the worst.
Huh? looks to me like Cleveland's budget for 2013 was 538.9 mil, on revenue of 491.8 million. according to their official books. given that the city pop. in Cleveland is higher, this is a lower budget per person than Pittsburgh's.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:58 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Huh? looks to me like Cleveland's budget for 2013 was 538.9 mil, on revenue of 491.8 million. according to their official books. given that the city pop. in Cleveland is higher, this is a lower budget per person than Pittsburgh's.
Cleveland Mayor releases budget for 2013 - 19 Action News|Cleveland, OH|News, Weather, Sports

Old 02-26-2014, 04:59 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
However to get this back on topic, I do agree that there is some great architecture in downtown Cleveland. I went there for work last Fall and stayed at the Arcade (not sure if that is the Renaissance or not) and it is an amazing building.

I also agree about the vast areas of parking, it is a strange feeling esp coming from Pgh since we have very little open land downtown, yet topography has driven these cities to grow in very different ways.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:17 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Trimont and ohio city are wonderful neighborhoods. The public market building is nice. It appears to be a former train station. Trimont and Ohio City is comparable to shadyside minus Walnut St. I did see several smaller retail areas. The modern infill housing was top notch.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:18 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
I don't know what number they are reporting there, but you need to compare the same things in each city. Usually people talk about the General Fund when they are talking about the budget. Cleveland's was about 538 mil, Pittsburgh's was 470 mil for 2013.

City of Cleveland budget hearings start Tuesday | wkyc.com

here is the official stuff

City of Cleveland :: Forms & Publications

2013 link, page 55

http://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/mayor/2...dget_FINAL.pdf

page 26

Old 02-26-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
However to get this back on topic, I do agree that there is some great architecture in downtown Cleveland. I went there for work last Fall and stayed at the Arcade (not sure if that is the Renaissance or not) and it is an amazing building.

I also agree about the vast areas of parking, it is a strange feeling esp coming from Pgh since we have very little open land downtown, yet topography has driven these cities to grow in very different ways.
The Arcade is the Hyatt Hotel. The arcade itself is architectual gem. The sun lit glass topped atrium is beautiful. The empty retail store fronts reminds me of our union trust building. Sad to see under utilized spaces like that. We will never build beautiful buildings like that again.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post

or perhaps it was the land value tax. actually cleveland is a lot more typical of the midwestern urban landscape than pittsburgh...and even older america in general. detroit and cleveland both have insane amounts of downtown surface parking. those two cities are very close cousins. pittsburgh is somewhere between them and the east coast in terms of landscape. to be honest, i found cleveland behind milwaukee in terms of being a desirable place to live. their downtown really ccouldnt have gotten much worse than it was ten years ago without ceasing to exist

Old 02-26-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
or perhaps it was the land value tax. actually cleveland is a lot more typical of the midwestern urban landscape than pittsburgh...and even older america in general. detroit and cleveland both have insane amounts of downtown surface parking. those two cities are very close cousins. pittsburgh is somewhere between them and the east coast in terms of landscape. to be honest, i found cleveland behind milwaukee in terms of being a desirable place to live. their downtown really ccouldnt have gotten much worse than it was ten years ago without ceasing to exist
The rail service puts Cleveland way ahead of milwaukee in my opinion. Milwaukee has some nice modern infill though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh