Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:59 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
He's working there and (sensibly) doesn't want to work there.
Really wish so many of our employers weren't establishing themselves in places like this just to cut corners and save a few bucks on office rent and to offer free parking for employees. I turned down job offers when I moved here because I had no desire to live in the city and drive to work in Cranberry Township or Robinson Township. Many peers have done the same. This new wave of fresh young educated talent moving into the region OVERWHELMINGLY favors the city over the exurbs, and many corporations who choose to settle in the exurbs will have a hard time "selling" their jobs in the future to a young urbanite who would have a 45-minute driving commute each way---"reverse-commute" be damned. Even if businesses would settle in an inner suburb like Ross Township it would be much better and make the place much more attractive to workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
I have worked both in Monroeville and in Robinson while living in the city. The "reverse-commute" time save is a myth in Pittsburgh. Prepare for 45 minute commute from door to desk in either situation.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:58 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I have worked both in Monroeville and in Robinson while living in the city. The "reverse-commute" time save is a myth in Pittsburgh. Prepare for 45 minute commute from door to desk in either situation.
Reverse commutes are certainly not a myth on Rt. 28. I FLY in the opposite direction all the time. By the way, I was in the middle of a 5:15PM weekday leaving the city on 28N and it was really not bad. It looks really bad at the beginning, due to that one lane, but man it is pretty fast once you get passed that part. It is going to be amazing when it is done.

Anyway, I think the OP would enjoy living downtown and commuting out in the AM. The PM part will be longer in my experience over that way, but come on, it isn't as bad as being with all the other sheep. No way.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:11 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Really wish so many of our employers weren't establishing themselves in places like this just to cut corners and save a few bucks on office rent and to offer free parking for employees. I turned down job offers when I moved here because I had no desire to live in the city and drive to work in Cranberry Township or Robinson Township. Many peers have done the same. This new wave of fresh young educated talent moving into the region OVERWHELMINGLY favors the city over the exurbs, and many corporations who choose to settle in the exurbs will have a hard time "selling" their jobs in the future to a young urbanite who would have a 45-minute driving commute each way---"reverse-commute" be damned. Even if businesses would settle in an inner suburb like Ross Township it would be much better and make the place much more attractive to workers.
I have this situation going on right now. My employer decided to move out to Greentree as part of a consolidation plan from our current spot downtown. Some out of state folks were saying "It's only 4 miles from your current office! No big deal!" Little do they know that 4 miles will take 30 extra minutes in the afternoon.

I will be working from my new Shadyside office. Aka my den that's currently being outfitted with a better desk

If only somewhere in walking distance had better coffee than that mud that Coffee Tree tries to sell as high-end, I'd be set.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:13 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vast View Post
what would the estimated commute time be if I worked in Murrysville and lived in the city? downtown area? I don't see that there is any public transportation, so I am assuming its a driving commute. Any thoughts on amount of time? I am an early bird, so if I were to leave around 7/7:30, how long would it take to get to Murrysville?

thanks.

I will add to the "live in Squirell Hill or Regent Square" contingent, by the way. And yes, it will be a drive. The key to that particular drive will be to position yourself to easily get on 376 E on your desired side of the Squirrel Hill tunnel, aka the east side in your case.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:26 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I will add to the "live in Squirell Hill or Regent Square" contingent, by the way. And yes, it will be a drive. The key to that particular drive will be to position yourself to easily get on 376 E on your desired side of the Squirrel Hill tunnel, aka the east side in your case.
Yes. Regent Square would be ideal for that sort of commute. It's not zero traffic in the opposite direction but is much less vs the traditional commute traffic.

You'll still need to allow half an hour or so I think at those times of day, 7:30ish. Depends upon exact end points.

Anything farther west into the city will just add to the commute time. If you start from truly downtown you're going to have more traffic and could easily double the door to door drive at that time of day.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:36 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
If you aren't, you might want to consider moving out to North Huntington, Irwin or Jeannette. Westmoreland County is a nice community out there, good schools, plenty of shopping. You'd save yourself a lot of grief by staying away from the Parkway East on a daily basis.
I have a feeling that someone who wants to live in the environment of DOWNTOWN PITTSBURGH probably does not want to live in North Huntingdon.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:43 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
He's working there and (sensibly) doesn't want to work there.
Need to stop posting before the caffeine kicks in. He's working there but doesn't want to live there.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:50 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,342 times
I work in Murrysville, and work with two people who do that. They are at around 30-35 minutes, get here at 7AM, and leave at 4PM.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:54 AM

15 posts, read 23,610 times
I did the 'reverse commute'--Squirrel Hill to Monroeville--for a big chunk of my working life & the traffic usually flowed well; BUT be prepared for the sun in your eyes both coming and going. Especially wicked in October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh