Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:33 PM

7 posts, read 17,818 times

Advertisements

what would the estimated commute time be if I worked in Murrysville and lived in the city? downtown area? I don't see that there is any public transportation, so I am assuming its a driving commute. Any thoughts on amount of time? I am an early bird, so if I were to leave around 7/7:30, how long would it take to get to Murrysville?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 07:43 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Honestly from downtown to Murrysville you are looking at a 45 minute commute with traffic, possibly more on the way home. I once had a job interview in Murrysville and it took me 45 minutes to get there in rush hour (I live 7 miles from downtown). I had no interest in the job with that kind of commute.

Now that amount of time is my commute daily, heh.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:58 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,146,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vast View Post
what would the estimated commute time be if I worked in Murrysville and lived in the city? downtown area? I don't see that there is any public transportation, so I am assuming its a driving commute. Any thoughts on amount of time? I am an early bird, so if I were to leave around 7/7:30, how long would it take to get to Murrysville?

thanks.
Unfortunately the only public transit I know of between Murrysville and Pittsburgh goes TO Pittsburgh three times in the morning and BACK to Murrysville in the evening. (I have no idea why they wouldn't accept riders on the reverse ride, since presumably they go back to Murrysville to pick up more passengers... but what do I know?)

As such, yeah, driving is probably your best / only option. When you say "downtown," do you mean our actual "Golden Triangle" Downtown -- i.e., the area below 11th Street, between Fort Duquesne and Fort Pitt Boulevards? Or do you, as some people do, refer to all of the city proper as "downtown?" Because living in Regent Square or Squirrel Hill -- both nice, relatively dense neighborhoods within the city -- would make your commute substantially shorter.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:20 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
The commute would be 30 minutes. You are going against traffic and the commute is easy. On the way back it might be a little longer due to people going to the city from suburbs though. Might be as much as 40 minutes. Not too bad.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
7/7:30 am isn't early bird. That's the time most people leave their houses if they start work at 8 am.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:30 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vast View Post

thanks.
If you're relocating from elsewhere, I'd recommend looking closer to the East End (Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Lawrenceville, East Liberty, Highland Park, etc., depending on your preferred neighborhood environment). Regent Square, a cute neighborhood which spans both the far eastern fringe of the city, and parts of Wilkinsburg, Edgewood, and Swissvale, might be your best bet, commute-wise.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:04 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
7/7:30 am isn't early bird. That's the time most people leave their houses if they start work at 8 am.
Seriously, in this town, 5:30 is early bird, 7:30 is pretty standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Regent Square, a cute neighborhood which spans both the far eastern fringe of the city, and parts of Wilkinsburg, Edgewood, and Swissvale, might be your best bet, commute-wise.
Agreed. Regent Square offers a breezy reverse commute to Monroeville/Murrysville, as well as a quick connection to Downtown via the busway. It's a quaint little way station over here.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:24 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
MUST you live in murrysville? my advice - dont do it. you are looking at a life of misery with daily commutes. you will be a slave to your car. this is putting it mildly.

otherwise - i agree with others - be on the road no later than 6AM.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:33 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
MUST you live in murrysville? my advice - dont do it. you are looking at a life of misery with daily commutes. you will be a slave to your car. this is putting it mildly.

otherwise - i agree with others - be on the road no later than 6AM.
He's working there and (sensibly) doesn't want to work there.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:14 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
If you are already living in town, its not a terrible commute going against the main flow of traffic less than 30 minutes in the a.m., maybe a tad longer in the evening as the Squirrel tunnels have a tendency to back up coming in anytime of day or night.

If you aren't, you might want to consider moving out to North Huntington, Irwin or Jeannette. Westmoreland County is a nice community out there, good schools, plenty of shopping. You'd save yourself a lot of grief by staying away from the Parkway East on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh