Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 12:49 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,841,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie312 View Post
How might the North Shore work for a commute to Baden?
Thanks for the lead for Sewickley ----
Budget is $1000 for a 2 bedroom ---

This forum is really helpful, keep the advice coming, we want to minimize his commute and I am OK doing public transportation to Pitt
Sewickley is a horrible suggestion for a Pitt student.

The North Side is the perfect "midpoint" for your Baden-bound boyfriend and your Pitt student life... and a 2br for $1000 is certainly attainable in the North Side while the housing stock in the East End is significantly more expensive.

To get to Baden from the North Side is a cinch... as the Ohio River Expressway is easily accessible... and your boyfriend will be doing the "reverse commute"... so traffic shouldn't be that much of an issue. And you'll be able to take transit to Pitt... it's too much of a hassle trying to get to Oakland from some distant suburb... and your educational experience will suffer from geographic isolation.

The North Side is convenient enough that you can easily get to class, meet with classmates for projects or social events, meet with professors, study at the library, etc. The life of the grad student will place many more demands on your presence in Oakland than the predictable commute to a job in Baden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 12:57 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,592,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post

The North Side is the perfect "midpoint" for your Baden-bound boyfriend and your Pitt student life... and a 2br for $1000 is certainly attainable in the North Side while the housing stock in the East End is significantly more expensive.

To get to Baden from the North Side is a cinch... as the Ohio River Expressway is easily accessible... and your boyfriend will be doing the "reverse commute"... so traffic shouldn't be that much of an issue. And you'll be able to take transit to Pitt... it's too much of a hassle trying to get to Oakland from some distant suburb... and your educational experience will suffer from geographic isolation.

The North Side is convenient enough that you can easily get to class, meet with classmates for projects or social events, meet with professors, study at the library, etc. The life of the grad student will place many more demands on your presence in Oakland than the predictable commute to a job in Baden.
Agreed. An hour each way on the bus for someone to whom time is money. Really not a good idea. It's not made easier by being able to study on the bus as it is rather difficult to write a dissertation that way. There is no other region where the drive north is tolerable and you're on a bus route to Oakland, none I can think of anyway.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,382,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post

The North Side is convenient enough that you can easily get to class, meet with classmates for projects or social events, meet with professors, study at the library, etc. The life of the grad student will place many more demands on your being in Oakland than the predictable commute to a job in Baden.
It's not a midpoint at all. His commute will be 40 minutes to Baden. Oakland is 9 minutes from North Shore by car, 15 tops by bus. This isn't just a Pitt student. This is also a boyfriend who is financially supporting a Pitt student. The life of a grad student doesn't take precedent over everything else in the world.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:10 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,592,211 times
I can't find a fifteen minute routing, it's closer to half an hour for me. How did you do it?

Old 03-17-2014, 01:16 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,154,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
15 tops by bus.
How does this work?

Old 03-17-2014, 01:25 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,744,344 times
I got a house, about 10 min to Baden, about 30 to Pitt. Want to buy it? I'm ready to sell.

So, everything that makes it easier to get to Baden makes it harder to get to Pitt and vice-versa. North Side is fine but even with zero traffic it takes at least 30 minutes to Baden. And most if not all bus routing to Pitt will require a transfer unless you're on the Pitt side of the river.

The Ohio River Blvd towns aren't a bad idea, they're just not particularly filled with much to do in the off hours unless you are all the way in Sewickley.

Here's something to find out though: the Baden zip code, 15005, allowing for no other city name according to the post office, extends quite a ways from Baden, including into parts of Marshall Township in Allegheny County. I don't know what the business is, but there are conceivably some possibilities that really mean a commute up 279 rather than a commute on Rt 65/Ohio River Blvd. Best to clarify that before deciding to reside in Bellevue, Avalon, etc. If residing in the city North Side, it really doesn't matter that much as the two routes converge there.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I can't find a fifteen minute routing, it's closer to half an hour for me. How did you do it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
How does this work?
I just did it off the top of my head. I can't get it shorter than 21 minutes via Port Authority's website.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:27 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,744,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I just did it off the top of my head. I can't get it shorter than 21 minutes via Port Authority's website.
Pittsburgh travel time estimate. (For our newcomers, the natives often estimate low on travel time.)

Old 03-17-2014, 01:29 PM

I'll agree that taking the bus from Sewickley to Oakland isn't reasonable. She could drive her car. Public transportation isn't mandated.

Bellevue would be the perfect midpoint. The problem with that is it's not hip with cool restaurants and there are zero bars.

I simply take issue with everyone acting like the student experience is more important than the life of the actual person who is making it financially possible for her to be a student.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:29 PM

29,804 posts, read 34,638,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
How does this work?
It's a flying bus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh