Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 04:56 AM

14,357 posts, read 17,115,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I agree with this for the most part. Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely hate the commute to Baden, but according to google it would take me 37 minutes each way to get there which is probably less time sitting in the car then most of the people that commute into the city do every day
I would value being near my social peers & having lots of things to do within easy reach when not at work over the bad commute.
When I was in my early 20s, I got a job in suburban Maryland. There was no way I was going to live out there however, so I found an apartment in DC, and did a reverse commute of roughly the same length. It was the only thing I used my car for actually, since I could get all of my shopping done via bike or subway. And I was very, very happy with my decision, because if I had to drive into DC and find parking all the time, I'm sure I would have missed out on a lot of shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 05:15 AM

6,360 posts, read 5,083,081 times
i think they should live separately. let him live in the north hills, or in Beaver County, and her, in the north side, or within the rivers. i think their relationship would be much stronger if they were to remain together.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:11 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,591,002 times
It just occurred to me that there is no way the north shore is going to work in their budget if $1000 for a 2br is a hard number. There's one at 1270 Decatur but that's more Manchester. So it may have to be Sewickley.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:23 AM

Or, yknow, a 3br house in Bellevue.
2000 Stonelea Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15212 - HotPads
I am poking around on rentjungle.com, is where these are all coming from.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,314,228 times
I noticed last night that the North Shore and Central North Side are out of their budget. Bellevue has places in their price range, but she might have to give up the hardwood floors or the dishwasher. Most of what I saw was old and outdated, which is normal for rentals.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:23 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,905,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
It just occurred to me that there is no way the north shore is going to work in their budget if $1000 for a 2br is a hard number. There's one at 1270 Decatur but that's more Manchester. So it may have to be Sewickley.
Oh right - I had forgotten that my initial post was going to be something along the lines of probably not going to find much in any of the more desirable city neighborhoods meeting your criteria for that budget.

So yea, back to the burbs.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Oh right - I had forgotten that my initial post was going to be something along the lines of probably not going to find much in any of the more desirable city neighborhoods meeting your criteria for that budget.
In b4 North Shore Housing Crisis

Old 03-18-2014, 07:37 AM

14,357 posts, read 17,115,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I noticed last night that the North Shore and Central North Side are out of their budget. Bellevue has places in their price range, but she might have to give up the hardwood floors or the dishwasher. Most of what I saw was old and outdated, which is normal for rentals.
This seems close enough to me.

I think we ought to wait until the OP comes back before discussing this stuff in more detail. She hasn't said, for example, where her boyfriend actually works/what he does. It may be possible it's something temporary he's gotten until something better comes along, meaning locating close to his work isn't the best.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:50 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,905,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
In b4 North Shore Housing Crisis
Though I don't think you have to limit things to the north shore as there are other areas where you can easily hop on the highway from the city.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,314,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Banjos? Two things come to mind, Steve Martin and Deliverance.
Maybe that'swhy we're so intrigued!

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i think they should live separately. let him live in the north hills, or in Beaver County, and her, in the north side, or within the rivers. i think their relationship would be much stronger if they were to remain together.
That certainly extended my sister's marriage. After he finished his Ph.D., he landed a great job in another city and my sister's employer made an offer they couldn't refuse for her to stay in NYC. They lived apart for almost 6 years with her employer paying her airfare every weekend. They divorced within less than a year of living together again. I have no doubt they would have divorced much sooner if they shared the same residence throughout the marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh