Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:27 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,724,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz-momof2 View Post
Although our zip code is Baden, we pay water/sewer to Harmony Township, and our borough is Byersdale.
Just so you know there's no actual borough of Byersdale, though. It's part of Harmony Township. Baden zip code on your address, Harmony Township is the municipality where you live. Byersdale is just a lingering name from the past. Some parts of Harmony Township have the Ambridge zip code instead. Economy Borough where I live works the same way. Zip codes are Baden, Sewickley, Ambridge or Freedom depending upon which parts. Zip codes do not care about municipal or sometimes even county borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 07:49 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,557,461 times
I think the OP is in a tough spot.

Years ago I would have been concerned about living close to the action but not anymore. When I was around 30 I moved from Shadyside to Point Breeze and hated it. Too far from the bars, restaurants, shopping and the Busway. Moved back 5 months later. I guess it depends on how much evening socializing, shopping and drinking they plan on doing. And the other question is will they do it with grad school friends or by themselves. Most of my friends from grad school that had spouses or significant others didn't exactly hang out with young, drunk and single grad students.

For those of you that have never been to Sewickely there is a great Y there and a Sharp Edge. Sure if you are going out 5 nights a week that may not be enough but if you are grabbing a drink once a week it probably is enough.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:17 AM

101 posts, read 191,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Just so you know there's no actual borough of Byersdale, though. It's part of Harmony Township. Baden zip code on your address, Harmony Township is the municipality where you live. Byersdale is just a lingering name from the past. Some parts of Harmony Township have the Ambridge zip code instead. Economy Borough where I live works the same way. Zip codes are Baden, Sewickley, Ambridge or Freedom depending upon which parts. Zip codes do not care about municipal or sometimes even county borders.
Yeah, I know that the actual borough of Byersdale doesn't really exist anymore. However, after we moved here, I had many people look at me like I was confused when I said we lived in Baden but when I would describe where we lived, they would correct me and say we were in Harmony or Byersdale. Giving directions to my family when they fly/drive in (from the Midwest) is fun. All the different boroughs/municipalities and lingering names from the past are too much for them. I just tell them to look for Sheetz and then Ba-runi's and they know they are close.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:33 AM

6,360 posts, read 5,083,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I think the OP is in a tough spot.

... Most of my friends from grad school that had spouses or significant others didn't exactly hang out with young, drunk and single grad students.
exactly! i think the OP is misguided. graduate school is a *****. you want your space, and relative silence. how much time do you have to get your drink on? i honestly suggest they live apart for 1 to 1.5 years.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz-momof2 View Post
Yeah, I know that the actual borough of Byersdale doesn't really exist anymore. However, after we moved here, I had many people look at me like I was confused when I said we lived in Baden but when I would describe where we lived, they would correct me and say we were in Harmony or Byersdale. Giving directions to my family when they fly/drive in (from the Midwest) is fun. All the different boroughs/municipalities and lingering names from the past are too much for them. I just tell them to look for Sheetz and then Ba-runi's and they know they are close.
LOL I hear ya. Basically, you can get away using the zip code name for where you live as long as the zip code name is NOT an actual municipality. Examples: Wexford, Gibsonia, Allison Park. Nobody questions those as where you live, although you could just as easily say Pine or Richland or McCandless or Hampton (the townships mostly covered by those zip codes).

In our cases, where our zip code name is the name of a real borough, it'll confuse the locals if you use that. For me it's not descriptive either; I'm several miles from the nearest part of my zip code name's real borough and in a totally different spot. I'm closer to Cranberry than to those Ohio River boroughs!

Old 03-20-2014, 05:41 AM

Did we scare away the OP with so many posts? Annie, did you get any help from all this?

Old 03-20-2014, 12:16 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,093,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
Yes, that situation almost dictates that you live in the North Hills.
Baden is in Beaver County, so there is not even any transit that runs there.
And a lot of the North Hills is suburban cul-de-sac that does not seem to fit
what you are looking for (though there should be public transit to Oakland)
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but there is some transit in Beaver County. I don't know how good it is, or (obvi) I don't know how it would mesh with the BF's job.
Visit Beaver County | Transportation

Old 03-20-2014, 12:36 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,093,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The East End would not be fair to the boyfriend. I'm going to recommend Sewickley. Your boyfriend will be commuting more than you during rush hour traffic. You don't need to live near other grad students. You need to make life easier for the breadwinner of the household. Sewickley is a great little town with lots of restaurants and shops. It's near great places to go hiking and walking.
Even after reading the whole thread, I agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Sewickley is a horrible suggestion for a Pitt student.

The North Side is the perfect "midpoint" for your Baden-bound boyfriend and your Pitt student life... and a 2br for $1000 is certainly attainable in the North Side while the housing stock in the East End is significantly more expensive.

To get to Baden from the North Side is a cinch... as the Ohio River Expressway is easily accessible... and your boyfriend will be doing the "reverse commute"... so traffic shouldn't be that much of an issue. And you'll be able to take transit to Pitt... it's too much of a hassle trying to get to Oakland from some distant suburb... and your educational experience will suffer from geographic isolation.

The North Side is convenient enough that you can easily get to class, meet with classmates for projects or social events, meet with professors, study at the library, etc. The life of the grad student will place many more demands on your presence in Oakland than the predictable commute to a job in Baden.
Well, grad students aren't undergrads (no duh, there Kat!), and if the OP is with her bf she's probably not really into the bar scene. They'll be like any other young couple. I don't know the demographics of Sewickley, granted, but I have known lots of Pitt students who commuted to Pitt from there, and even from places farther west in Beaver County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
There's really no perfect option for this.
^^This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh