Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 05:25 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolsea View Post
Can anyone give me any information on the intersection of Edgerton and Peebles? Rebecca Ave also intersects here. I am driving to Pittsburgh this weekend and was considering some apartments here. It is two blocks west of Kelly Elementary School. I have already gotten some good information from this forum, but nothing on this specific block. Based off the information here, it seems to be just in the middle of the good and sketchy parts of town. It looks like it is only a few blocks from Regent Square, about which I have heard nothing but good things.
That block is fine. There's a bit of sketchiness not far away but Edgerton, Peebles, and Rebecca are safe and quiet, from everything I can tell. The only street in that part of the neighborhood I've heard bad things about is South Street, but there's not really any reason to ever walk down it at night anyway.

On the whole, that's a pleasant location with a lot of close amenities on Penn Ave, and it's not too bad of a stroll to the Regent Sq business district, which is less useful but more aesthetically pleasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 06:53 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,960,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolsea View Post
Can anyone give me any information on the intersection of Edgerton and Peebles? Rebecca Ave also intersects here. I am driving to Pittsburgh this weekend and was considering some apartments here. It is two blocks west of Kelly Elementary School. I have already gotten some good information from this forum, but nothing on this specific block. Based off the information here, it seems to be just in the middle of the good and sketchy parts of town. It looks like it is only a few blocks from Regent Square, about which I have heard nothing but good things.
Its actually closer to the city of Pittsburgh neighborhood known as Park Place. It is in walking distance to Regent Square though. If that area was in the Pittburgh Public School District, I would move there in a hearbeat. Some blocks in that area do appear to be sketchy but it would not stop me from moving there. Its proximity to the East Busyway, East End Food Co-Op, Construction Junction, Walnut St. and East Liberty out weighs the sketchy concern. Most of the homes in that area are beautiful. The streets are treelined and there are lots of good people working to improve the area. If you are used to urban tightly packed diverse neighborhoods, you should be fine. Ride through during the day and talk to some of the people living there. Ride through at night as well. You can get a feel of the neighborhood.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:57 PM

I did not mention Frick Park. Just remember to look both ways before crossing Braddock Ave.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I did not mention Frick Park. Just remember to look both ways before crossing Braddock Ave.
.... and RUN!

Frick Park is really the heart and soul of Greater Regent Square. Parts of the neighborhood just feel like an extension of the park where houses have been packed in amongst the trees. The sky is brighter than in the rest of the East End due largely to the park providing a buffer from the urban light pollution. Wildlife there seems just a little more wild.

Last edited by JimboPGH; 05-13-2014 at 07:38 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
.... and RUN!

Frick Park is really the heart and soul of Greater Regent Square. Parts of the neighborhood just feel like an extension of the park where houses have been backed in amongst the trees. The sky is brighter than in the rest of the East End due largely to the park providing a buffer from the urban light pollution. Wildlife there seems just a little more wild.
Fox, dear, and bears! Oh my.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more of rabbits and squirrels. But very brazen rabbits and squirrels.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more of rabbits and squirrels. But very brazen rabbits and squirrels.
I used to frequent the trails in Frick Park. That was until that black bear was spotted on Penn and Braddock of all places! Officers and Animal Control chased the bear back to Frick Park. He was never found. I never went back. I do schenley and river front trails now.

The red fox in this area are beautiful. Smaller than i thought.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:48 PM

697 posts, read 778,488 times
Quote:
Quote:
Don't forget the two pigs that take walks there!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X06b5aPmEfI

Old 05-13-2014, 08:55 PM

4 posts, read 4,609 times
Thank y'all for the info, I really appreciate it. It doesn't sound too bad.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:22 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,381,103 times
This corner is near the Frick Park Apts, yet the property question is not bordering Frick Park. Also this area is way more like Kelly West/Pebbles Sq than Greater Park Place/Whitney Park. This is honestly a part of Wilkinsburg which is not gentrified but rather currently gentrifying.

I still recommend this neighborhood in which the property in question is located, just know that you're not in 'la-la land' if you live there. The area is improving and safe, yet there's still an element of old Western Wilkinsburg which is still present on Pebbles at Rebbeca. [Again your area is not unsafe but quite a few shady characters are still in that area, yet it's nowhere near the level of Rebbaca/South/Franklin/Ross across the tracks/busway]

Last edited by Uptown kid; 05-13-2014 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh