Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:41 PM

39 posts, read 54,733 times

Advertisements

I had the opportunity to walk around wilkinsburg a lot the past week. I was amazed at the amount of abandoned homes on rebecca, and whitney ave areas. many of them looked really neat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 10:05 AM

458 posts, read 656,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It has been a while since I've spent significant time in Wilkinsburg. From all the negativity towards the area on this website, I assumed it went way down hill. Wilkinsburg wasn't the greatest for as long as I can remember so that's saying something.

When I was driving through today, I was impressed with how vibrant it is. It was packed with people walking everywhere. There was incredible traffic. I noticed there were lots of businesses -- an Asian market, a very large low priced women's clothing store. I passed the East End Coop and decided to visit Construction Junction. Afterwards, I decided to drive around some more. Even the warehouses had interesting businesses.

City Data isn't giving Wilkinsburg credit. It's way more vibrant than Garfield. Let's use this thread to share the great things Wilkinsburg has going for it. Please share any interesting restaurants, small businesses, community events, etc.
I haven't been around in quite a while, but here's one of the greatest examples of you not knowing what you are talking about. The landmarks and businesses you mentioned are in North Point Breeze.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
They are. They're in Point Breeze North. So is the Walgreen's, and I'm pretty sure also Peppi's Subs.
Yep, Peppi's subs is right across the street from Walgreens

Old 04-25-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
I've been to two art shows at Percolate on Trenton Ave. Love Biddles Escape coffee shop... I believe that's also Wilkinsburg.
I believe it is too, you have to go like one block further south of Biddles to be considered Edgewood.

We live on East End Ave, which is approximately two blocks north of the border of Wilkinsburg. There's definitely more blight than bling in Wilkinsburg. The exception would be that border of the city and Wilkinsburg at the intersection of Trenton Ave and Biddle before you get to Edgewood.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:52 PM

8 posts, read 12,328 times
Default Princeton Park Run-in

I was cleaning up from the winter today (a bit late I'll admit but I've been waiting until I was sure there was no more snow), getting some leaves and vines squared away. I've mentioned on this thread before, I live in Wilkinsburg's Princeton Park and that I like it here, good neighbors, hard working folks, and a mix of all kinds of professionals and working class folks trying to get by, but with much respect for each other.

This young man pulled up in a new, black car, rolled down the window, and said, "Hey man, you remember me?" I didn't and said so. He told me that almost a decade ago, that I sold him my grandfather's Monte Carlo. He told me he pimped it out a bit and drove it for many years and sold it not too long ago to another fellow. He was driving quite a nice new car, we talk briefly, wished each other a good day and he told me, "I just wanted to say hello and tell you that was a good deal on that car, that it ran well, and for a long time." He drove away, I finished cleaning up, and then it began to rain.

Good Vibe Stuff like this happens all the time here. Like the time I had lots of extra peppers and tomatoes from my garden and gave them to a guy I always see getting his kids home from school. He always says hello to me now, no matter the weather. His kids too. I don't want to make it sound like we're all like The Andy Griffith Show up here, it's definitely not Mayberry. But it is just another day in the life here from Princeton Park, Wilkinsburg, not Mayberry, but also not the Eastern Ukraine.

Oh, and I forgot. Recently, I've seen a whole bunch of investor types cruising through this neighborhood looking at the houses for sale across the street. Now this always happened before, but not by slick, young-hip-looking investor types driving cars worth more than most of our houses, (well, I'll just speak for myself, worth more than my house that is). When they're out there, I've been able to overhear a lot of talk about short and long term investments. I've been here 11 years and I've never seen or heard that. So, something's changing up here...though I'm not sure if it will be good or bad.

Last edited by 501 Carthage; 04-25-2014 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 04-25-2014, 10:03 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,381,103 times
The criminal info about Princeton Park. The dominate gang in the section is the J-Town Hoods. However, the gang controls some streets, while certain streets have no gang presence at all. So some streets have non-affiliated drug dealers/crews, and of course some blocks don't even have drug dealers I'm guessing...

There have been four murders since 2008. One double homicide in 2012 was a result of a love triangle; one homicide in 2011 was a result of a supposed argument; and one in 2008 from a potentially insane person killing his neighbor. There was gang-related broad day drive by killing at the bus stop of Penn Ave & Princeton Blvd, though that was back in 2010 too... Shootings really aren't that high too. So P.P. has hardly the bite of places like the bad parts of: Hazelwood/Homestead/Perry Hilltop/Garfield, let alone others.
Though I will say that the bad streets and bad blocks are consistently 3 times better than Hamnett Place or western Wilkinsburg. And the worst blocks of Southern Swissvale or N East Liberty or Upper Manchester, are way nicer than the worst blocks of Princeton Park.

All in all, the Princeton Park area is much better safer compared to the: Singer Place area, Upper Central area, Sperling area, Hunter Park, Highschool area, Franklin & Park Triangle area/southern Laketon areas.

Last edited by Uptown kid; 04-25-2014 at 10:13 PM..

Old 04-26-2014, 06:23 AM

8 posts, read 12,328 times
Uptown,

I appreciate the crime data. I've been around for all of those and from what I can tell from my "intel" I think you're accurate on each one. I tend to be all nebby in the hood so I keep my ears and eyes open. There have also been a few murders attributed to us that weren't really accurate. One person was found dead in a car (behind my garage!) back in 2006-7 (I think) that had been killed elsewhere and the car was abandoned in the alley.

As far as the drug crews, that's our current troubles on Shelbourne, which is overall a pleasant street except for this independent drug crew who moved in on sometime last year. A family moved out, couldn't sell, then these relatives moved in. It's been the standard hassle since, lots of coming and go, drop offs and pick ups, then on Christmas Eve I think it was the J-Town Hoods who delivered a message to this crew, a message in the form of two armed kids at 2a.m. who each emptied a magazine into the front of the house. No one was hurt, but the cops were involved and have since, REALLY upped their presence on the block and Princeton Park overall. I've talked to the Chief of Police and she seems to be on Princeton Park. I've also seen some of the unaffiliated crews rolling through now and then, but by and large I would agree with you that PP is far less "fierce" than the other places you mentioned. I've seen the police more since that shooting than I did all of last year.

That said, I would like to add a note about your stats and gun violence. I'm sure you are aware of it as you seem dialed in to the facts, but sometimes people read those and think, "well I must be in danger if I am going to X." Using the homicide stats from above (and from what I know of them nation wide) one is far more likely to get killed by someone they know, a family member even, or even more ironically with a weapon from their house, then they are from some stranger or odd occurrence on the street. I don't have a positive number (and they vary from study to study, interest group to interest group) but I think the "far more likely" is accurate for that statement. Again, and this is just my personal opinion, it's the fear that gets things all warped and twisted my head, and often the fear isn't quite representative of reality. By that logic I gotta keep a closer eye on my own affairs and less so on the random dude on the street walking by to get to the bus stop.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501 Carthage View Post
Oh, and I forgot. Recently, I've seen a whole bunch of investor types cruising through this neighborhood looking at the houses for sale across the street. Now this always happened before, but not by slick, young-hip-looking investor types driving cars worth more than most of our houses, (well, I'll just speak for myself, worth more than my house that is). When they're out there, I've been able to overhear a lot of talk about short and long term investments. I've been here 11 years and I've never seen or heard that. So, something's changing up here...though I'm not sure if it will be good or bad.
I get worried when investors buy for long term. They let buildings sit empty for decades. It prevents neighborhoods from improving. People who want to buy property can't find it because all of the investors are sitting on them waiting for a big payoff. Braddock has this problem with all of its empty storefronts all owned by investors.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:07 PM

32 posts, read 70,323 times
This thread is/was nothing but another tired attempt to verbally bash the people/community of Wilkinsburg. Why can't we just leave them alone? Why must we continually beat up this community? What is this psychological need to beat a dead horse?

People are going to see and believe what they want to believe about Wilkinsburg. For those who don't live there, be happy and grateful that you don't----and respectful of those who do live there.

There are proud people who live and work in Wilkinsburg, and they would appreciate it if people would just leave them alone and stop pointing out the negatives.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:32 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin37 View Post
This thread is/was nothing but another tired attempt to verbally bash the people/community of Wilkinsburg. Why can't we just leave them alone? Why must we continually beat up this community? What is this psychological need to beat a dead horse?

People are going to see and believe what they want to believe about Wilkinsburg. For those who don't live there, be happy and grateful that you don't----and respectful of those who do live there.

There are proud people who live and work in Wilkinsburg, and they would appreciate it if people would just leave them alone and stop pointing out the negatives.
Quite a few of us gave positive comments and reviews concerning Wilkinsburg. This was a balanced thread considering the topic and the average Pittsburgh poster.

I love Wilkinsburg and I enjoy patronizing many of the establishments there. I think the borough should focus on stabilizing the historic structures and there are many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh