Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 10:46 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,867 times

Advertisements

transferred from another thread:

Quote:
I'm trying to organize a movement in Frick Park too, if anyone is interested. There are signs all over the park that clearly state, "Dogs must be on a leash". It's the law, period. The MAJORITY of dog owners in the park disregard that law, or even more insulting, let their dogs run while they walk with the leash in their hand. It's funny to me how most of the dogs all look well groomed and taken care of, but yet the owner(s) insist on letting them run free, approaching people freely. There is a dog owners association called FIDO (Frick Involved Dog Owners) that I have emailed about the problem, and oddly enough, have not returned my emails, and I found a dog meet up group for Pittsburgh that I posted on and of course, none of them have responded either. It's something I take very seriously. There are a number of areas designated for dogs to run, but people insist on letting them run all over the park.
And in response:

gallacus:

Quote:
Can't help ya there, I'm definitely one of them. That's what makes Frick so great for dog owners! It is a SUPER dog-friendly park, and really, the only super dog-friendly park. And to be fair, I'm at Frick once a week and have never witnessed a problem. In fact, the only problem I've ever witnessed at Frick was a Pitt Bull attacking a little dog, both on-leash.
tallysmom:

Quote:
That is a HUGE problem out here in SF -- because dogs need to run. Do you have dog park areas with off leash parts so they can run?

The reason they may not have answered is because it's a hot button issue there, too. SF city council meetings are a riot out here when they discuss dog issues....
ilikepgh:

Quote:
There is indeed an off-leash area in Frick Park so there seems to me no excuse for letting the dogs off the leash in the other parts. Yes, dogs need to run around and Frick Park provides a place for dogs to run around. Why does a dog need to run free on the way to or from that place?

On the couple of occasions when I have complained about this to dog owners standing around while their dogs run all over the main path and around small children, I have been told that so-and-so is very friendly, well-trained, doesn't bite, etc. Well, that's very nice, but apply that logic to traffic laws and we're going to have a lot more accidents.

A few scofflaws would be manageable, but vwscottie is right... dogs are off leash all over Frick Park.

Feel free to discuss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 12:49 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
I suppose there are a lot of responsible pet owners who follow society's rules. But there are a bunch that remain oblivious to the well-being of anyone other than themselves and their dogs. Like it or not, there are laws and restrictions for a reason. To be cavalier about breaking park regulations is to demonstrate flagrant disregard for others. Some people have been attacked by dogs in the past, and for them it's no consolation to hear an irresponsible owner's attempt to justify letting their dog run loose. It doesn't matter how nice you think your dog is... strangers don't know you or your dog- put it on a leash except in designated 'leashless' areas.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:56 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
Quote:
Some people have been attacked by dogs in the past, and for them it's no consolation to hear an irresponsible owner's attempt to justify letting their dog run loose. It doesn't matter how nice you think your dog is... strangers don't know you or your dog- put it on a leash except in designated 'leashless' areas.
I agree. I think leashless areas that are designated as such are wonderful, but Frick park isn't one of them. I don't care how tame or passive a dog is, they are still animals, and can be very unpredictable. I think all animals should be leashed where there are rules for being leashed. I'm not sure how any other dispute could be made.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:00 PM

919 posts, read 3,185,165 times
I was vicously attacked by a dog that was not on a leash, I had to get rabies shots too...

Old 12-10-2007, 07:38 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
I was vicously attacked by a dog that was not on a leash, I had to get rabies shots too...
I was attacked by two Rottweillers at the same time. They were on leashes without chokers, being walked to the the 50-year old female owner's car. She paid a substantial price for her poor decision, and I hated all dogs for years. I am finally cool with friendly dogs again, and I don't want another negative incident to sour me.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:41 PM

511 posts, read 1,937,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I suppose there are a lot of responsible pet owners who follow society's rules. But there are a bunch that remain oblivious to the well-being of anyone other than themselves and their dogs.
There are more than a bunch, they are the MAJORITY in Frick Park. I love animals, but I'll tell you, I don't care how tame it is, I don't care how beautiful it is, IT IS THE LAW, KEEP IT ON A LEASH!!!!

Old 12-10-2007, 07:45 PM

OMG merge! How terrible! I was just a young girl when that happened to me, we were walking home from church, I was in my white communion dress...I was told not to run, but i got scared and ran anyhow...was a flight or fight situation I guess...

Old 12-10-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I suppose there are a lot of responsible pet owners who follow society's rules. But there are a bunch that remain oblivious to the well-being of anyone other than themselves and their dogs. Like it or not, there are laws and restrictions for a reason. To be cavalier about breaking park regulations is to demonstrate flagrant disregard for others. Some people have been attacked by dogs in the past, and for them it's no consolation to hear an irresponsible owner's attempt to justify letting their dog run loose. It doesn't matter how nice you think your dog is... strangers don't know you or your dog- put it on a leash except in designated 'leashless' areas.
Very good points Merge, however, the whole point is, it's the law, and it's just downright ignorant. I do love animals, however, I come to the park to relax and get some excercise. What I end up running in to is ignorat people who let their dogs roam all over the place, and most of them know they are doing wrong. It's pretty darn sad to see Galactapus admitting they take their dog their at least once a week to roam free when it's against the law. There are MULTIPLE areas that are cordoned off for dog use, and these folks feel that the park is theirs to use as a dog playground.

I was finishing a bike ride last week on a very steep hill climb (Tranquil Trail up towards Homewood Cemetary) when a pet owner who had three dogs came down the hill, and one of his dogs came right at me, unrestrained, and I had to stop and unclip from my pedals. The owner thought I was in a joking mood, and he said "Next time, I'll help push you up the hill", Huh huh, I said, "your &%#@#$% dogs should be on a leash". He said, "thank you, sir", and I rode away. I looked back and he said, "that a nice looking bike you have, sir" and I said, "next time, you'll get a closer look at it".

Old 12-10-2007, 08:01 PM

Maybe a more gentle approach here would of helped him see that what he was doing was wrong here? One thing I learned long ago that when you put something nice to someone, it goes alot further and its a win-win deal..what you think of that?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaharbour View Post
Maybe a more gentle approach here would of helped him see that what he was doing was wrong here? One thing I learned long ago that when you put something nice to someone, it goes alot further and its a win-win deal..what you think of that?
Well, when there are signs up all over the park, and someone posts that they are breaking the law, I don't find any room to be nice. I have given a few good verbal lashings to folks in the park the past couple of weeks and don't apologize one bit for it. These people know that it's the law. When you say something to most of them, they put their head down and don't say anything. That's ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh