Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:46 AM

618 posts, read 692,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
The Connect Card sux. It needs to be eliminated!
I suppose we should pay in quarters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 09:51 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
I suppose we should pay in quarters?
Hey, at least quarters register!

I stopped buying Connect Cards after two of them stopped working after 2 days/4 days of light use on a weekly pass. One driver got a huge attitude with me and said that he would "kick me off the bus" since I didn't have the fare. Sorry...fix your technology before you let it go live. Or do what everyone else does....take credit/debit cards!

Old 05-13-2014, 09:52 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
They cut the 501 right as we were moving to the North Side. It went from the corner by our house right to my wife's (then) office in Oakland. Part of our decision making process for moving to our house was based on the existence of that route and then they took it away.
This is a big reason that people prefer rail.

I really wish they would combine some 13/16 and 61/71 routes to recreate the 500/501 routes again. It seems like such a simple fix that would have a big impact and few negatives.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:56 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:

I stopped buying Connect Cards after two of them stopped working after 2 days/4 days of light use on a weekly pass. One driver got a huge attitude with me and said that he would "kick me off the bus" since I didn't have the fare. Sorry...fix your technology before you let it go live. Or do what everyone else does....take credit/debit cards!
Who (by which I mean what transit system) uses debit/credit cards? how do they prevent double charges?
When we were in New York, we had Metro cards, and in Chicago, Ventra cards.

Last edited by doo dah; 05-13-2014 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: add'l info

Old 05-13-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Who (by which I mean what transit system) uses debit/credit cards? how do they prevent double charges?
I never caught a bus in NYC, but I used the Metro card for the Subway countless times. I never, ever had a problem with my Metro Card not working. Meanwhile, other random people at stops have told me that their Connect Cards have also stopped working.

Sorry, but if your technology solution is buggy/broken/unreliable, it's better that it goes away until you get the kinks ironed out! It's not fair for someone to pay for a "pass" that ends up not working in the end.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:11 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Sorry, but if your technology solution is buggy/broken/unreliable, it's better that it goes away until you get the kinks ironed out! It's not fair for someone to pay for a "pass" that ends up not working in the end.
I've been using my Connect Card for a year, and I have never had a single issue. I think it's faaaaabulous. Seriously. It's one of those "How did I ever live without this?" kinds of things.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I've been using my Connect Card for a year, and I have never had a single issue. I think it's faaaaabulous. Seriously. It's one of those "How did I ever live without this?" kinds of things.
You must have received a good card. Buying two dud cards + the attitudes from the drivers within less than two months time was enough to me. I'll just continue to use cash. I might get the side eye from people for being slow...but at least I don't have to argue over my fare!

Old 05-13-2014, 10:22 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Quote:
I never caught a bus in NYC, but I used the Metro card for the Subway countless times. I never, ever had a problem with my Metro Card not working. Meanwhile, other random people at stops have told me that their Connect Cards have also stopped working.

Oh I've had number of problems with the MetroCards.... Magnetic Strips like MetroCards are vastly unreliable to RFID of Cards like the CC. One time my MC malfunctioned right as I was swiping for the subway. It let me GO but little did I know until I tried to use it again that the damn thing wiped my entire balance I had left on the card ~18$. Plenty of time you get that "Please Swipe Again" message, just as the train is coming into the station and keeps saying that until the Train doors are ready to close then magically it tells you "GO".... It's like a sick Joke.

Chicago was have a lot of problems with the Venture Card as well.... People loved the Chicago Card (same as the Connect Card now) it was so seamless and easy to use, never a problem... With the Venture card you can't just tap your whole Wallet/Purse to the reader, because it would also deduct fare from any of your Credit/Debit Cards that have the Pay wave "))))) symbol" technology in them. So you must remove the Venture Card from your wallet and only tap that card itself. Plus there was also issues of people whole balances just disappearing from the Cards.

The thing PAT does need to do, is Allow for all GEs to be able to swap out Malfunctioning CCs... I find extremely inconvenient to have to go all the way into Town to have your card swapped out.

I would definitely go back to using Cash, if the only other option was using my Credit/Debit card at the farebox...I don't trust that in the slightest...especially not after what I read was happening in Chicago with the Venture Card.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:39 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,811 times
What they do need to do is to integrate transfers with the connect card so that you don't need that damn slip of paper.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:20 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
PAT really is confusing, especially for new-comers to the city. There are some things that are just absurd in my opinion:

- Pay as you exit the bus but only sometimes bro. Wait.... why can't I get out of this back door?
- Am I zone 1 or zone 2? Do I need a transfer? Da hell is this piece of paper for?
- Downtown and the North Shore are a free zone (yayyyy). However, that free zone does not include Station Square (whaaaaa)
- So you're telling me that nearly all of the buses have to go downtown first? That's why I can't get there from here?
- Wait, you mean I can't refill this Connectcard online? WTF
- When do the buses and the T stop running? Da fuq if I know.
- WHERE THE HELL ARE THE MAPS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh