Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 01:26 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
I watched a couple games there the other night as well. Pretty low-key, the beer was cheap, and the bartenders were super friendly. Outside of myself, a token hispanic gentleman, and the Italian-born owner of the place, no one had more than a very passive interest in the game, but that was actually a welcome change of pace after the USA match.
I must say, ive been enjoying myself explaining why the goalies wear different colors than their teams and refs. also explaining that each team uses different strategies like formation (4-3-3, 2-5-3,etc) and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 04:44 PM

12 posts, read 14,028 times
the brazilian cheering squad has been watching together at Roland's Grill (1904 Penn Ave)

Old 06-21-2014, 06:59 AM

876 posts, read 1,144,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
I must say, ive been enjoying myself explaining why the goalies wear different colors than their teams and refs. also explaining that each team uses different strategies like formation (4-3-3, 2-5-3,etc) and such.
Heh. I had to explain the goalie kit colors to somebody last night as well. Didn't really get into tactics with him, which is a shame, because I'd love to show off everything I learned from getting crushed by my Turkish friend at Pro Evolution.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:30 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I semi-chuckle when people equate an interest in soccer with a higher level of sophistication.
Soccer is such a snooty sport, I really can't get worked up for something as sophisticated like soccer.

Nascar and wrestling (the professional game) are a lot more friendly to watch for ordinary people.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:51 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,094,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Soccer is such a snooty sport, I really can't get worked up for something as sophisticated like soccer.

Nascar and wrestling (the professional game) are a lot more friendly to watch for ordinary people.
A perception only in America.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:51 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,599 times
Quote:
There's nothing snooty about soccer. Watch it with me and most people I know and it's simply a torrent of cheering, semi coherent abuse of the opposition, ridiculous jokes and beer. It's about as working class as you can get

Ghana did the US no favors last night by not lying down and getting whipped - the second half was a superb spectacle though. Huge game tonight - South Side here we come!

Old 06-22-2014, 07:32 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,884,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Ghana did the US no favors last night by not lying down and getting whipped - the second half was a superb spectacle though. Huge game tonight - South Side here we come!
Germany's Draw With Ghana Was The Best Possible Outcome For The US At The World Cup - Business Insider

Old 06-22-2014, 08:06 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,032 times
Quote:

Sarcasm detector on red.

But I'd probably agree that adding right turns to NASCAR would make it too complicated.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:15 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,599 times
That's the kind of flawed sporting logic you get from the Business Insider As they say in their article:

Winning the group would be huge as the runner-up from Group G will face the winner from Group H. That will almost certainly be Belgium, the ninth-best team in the world according to ESPN's Soccer Power Index (SPI).
However, if the U.S. can win Group G, they would likely face either Russia (#23 in the SPI) or South Korea (#35 in the SPI) in the round of 16. That is a much more favorable match-up and a better shot at reaching the quarterfinals.
[LEFT]
If Germany had won, they'd only have needed a draw in the last game against the US regardless of tonight's result (unless US win by a bucketful - unlikely). And if US beat Portugal tonight, they were both through and could then put on their smoking jackets and sit at the bar for the last game. Now Germany need to win to secure top spot. A motivated German team is a scary beast.

My prediction - 1-1 draw tonight, and my hope is Ronaldo is pathetic as I he makes my mind grapes hurt. If its a draw, strap yourselves in tight for the last game next week as it'll be a wild ride!!
[/LEFT]

Old 06-22-2014, 02:18 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
There's nothing snooty about soccer. Watch it with me and most people I know and it's simply a torrent of cheering, semi coherent abuse of the opposition, ridiculous jokes and beer. It's about as working class as you can get
*Whoosh*

You aren't sophisticated enough to pick up on American sarcasm*.

*Unless I'm overestimating I Like Spam's sense of irony. In which case, never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh