Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 04:38 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,014,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Great thread idea, and thanks for sharing, Mr. Curtis!
A few things...

Quote:
Right now I see yinzers in pick-up trucks and old Buicks driving IN the bike lanes on Liberty Avenue in Bloomfield and on Wightman Street in Squirrel Hill, to name a few. I was nearly clipped by an elderly driver the other day as I was standing beside my driver's side car door along Wilkins Avenue in Squirrel Hill---IN a bike lane. Until enough gentrification occurs so that these people are forced out of the city the only way a bike lane will be "safe" for cyclists is it there are jersey barriers of some sort between the driving lanes and the bike lanes, although, as I said, that will pretty much eliminate ALL on-street parking.
So you're now pro-East End housing crisis?

Quote:
If I were to sell my car and bike everywhere, I'd be able to save/invest $12,000/year OR pay off my remaining ~$12,000 student loan balance over the course of one year.
Would you be able to keep your current job/open up your prospective delivery business without a car? Not trying to chide you, just asking.

Quote:
I'd also be able to buy my first home in a heartbeat instead of listening to the armchair quarterbacks on here making fun of me for being car-poor vs. house-poor. It's staggering. Truly staggering.
Has anyone really made fun of you for that? I think some people (myself included) are frustrated by the inconsistent statements/blanket generalizations you make on the subject, but I don't recall anyone ever taunting you for it. If it really has happened, that's patently unacceptable behavior, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 05:56 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post

Has anyone really made fun of you for that? I think some people (myself included) are frustrated by the inconsistent statements/blanket generalizations you make on the subject, but I don't recall anyone ever taunting you for it. If it really has happened, that's patently unacceptable behavior, of course.
For someone who has stated they have local political ambitions, SCR is basically creating the content for his downfall on here. His regular use of 'yinzers' in my mind borders on racist/classist, and the flow of random generalizations and ever changing opinions is fuel for some of the funniest and most destructive political advertizing I can imagine.

I'm suspect the political ambitions are just hot air too, but even so, please, think before posting, SCR. I kno wit's a novel concept.

Back on topic - San Fran is seriously hilly around downtown, but is the rest of the city as undulating consistently as Pittsburgh? I know the Berkeley hills and areas between the bay and coast are, but in between seems pretty flat? And winters are less harsh.

I assume much of that land is reclaimed? I may be wrong ....

Old 07-01-2014, 07:26 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Fine. I'll replace my usage of the word "yinzer" with "urban redneck". Better?

Old 07-01-2014, 07:31 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Quote:
No.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:37 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
No.
Not even a little (nor is it all that accurate).

Old 07-01-2014, 10:06 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
The worst part of commuting via bike, which I have done in both urban and suburban settings, is inclement weather. There was nothing worse than sitting through a lecture drenched to the bone. When I biked to my summer jobs, I would make alternate arrangements if the weather was bad; in general, you can't show up to work soaking wet.
Weather is definitely an issue, but I would think if you became a dedicated bike commuter it wouldn't be all that hard to store a spare set of clothes at work or even carry them in a bag on your bike.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:38 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times
hmm.. maybe in the next 10-20 years if growth keeps up, but not really a big impact before then imo.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:33 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Weather is definitely an issue, but I would think if you became a dedicated bike commuter it wouldn't be all that hard to store a spare set of clothes at work or even carry them in a bag on your bike.
That's what I do - bunch of work clothes at work and I cycle them with new ones every couple of weeks. And nasty weather isn't fun, but with good waterproofs, it's doable ...

Old 07-02-2014, 07:21 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCom View Post
The problem is the areas where you can bicycle commute are now areas where people who would want to, are priced out.
Etna and Sharpsburg are priced out?

Old 07-02-2014, 07:40 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Etna and Sharpsburg are priced out?
I think the larger issue with that statement is the implication that people only want to bike to work if they can't afford other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh