Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:41 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The roughly 1.5 miles of lanes, which will cost $188,000 in money Mr. Peduto said was budgeted by former Mayor Luke Ravenstahl's administration, will feature independent lane markings and bollards to separate cyclists and motorists.
That's much cheaper than I was expecting. It gives me a lot of optimism that Peduto will be able to continue to lead the charge for more bike infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 12:41 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,103,012 times
Brighton to Marshall is much better now with the bike lanes, and it's super wide. Check it out on the weekend!

Old 07-03-2014, 01:16 PM

733 posts, read 987,582 times
Yeah, that part of Brighton is super wide and has a bike lane. I use it all the time, and it's actually pretty stress free.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:04 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I don't know the future, but whatever happens, I think it will be VERY slow and I will be dead before there is any real huge changes. I do hope people get more healthy and ride more. It is all positive and really nothing negative about it, other than some folks whining about cyclists on the roads.

There is a general trend toward biking to work, but most Pittsburghers live sufficiently far, and over busy enough highways from their homes to their place of employment, it will never be predominant.

Riding out to Robinson from Ross on a bicycle is pretty impossible.

Even riding from the close south hills in the city to town is insane.

Years ago, the P-G had an annual story about biking to work. They always had a junior staff member who lived somewhere like Dormont bike into work one day and write a story about the ordeal.

From some locations it might be practical, for most, not really.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:20 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,886 times
so which will people adopt first? riding the PAT or biking into the city? since clearly most don't care for either.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Brighton to Marshall is much better now with the bike lanes, and it's super wide. Check it out on the weekend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
Yeah, that part of Brighton is super wide and has a bike lane. I use it all the time, and it's actually pretty stress free.
I gave this route a shot yesterday on my way back from the vintage grand prix. It wasn't too bad! Granted it was a Sunday, but I was pretty impressed with the cars giving me plenty of room; I expected them to cut it closer since there is a bike lane. I do have a question though, when heading North on Brighton and trying to turn left to Woodland, what do you do? Signal and take the car lane then turn when it's safe (trusting cars behind you to wait for that moment)? Or just stop in the bike lane and wait for it to be safe to cross both lanes of traffic?

Also I made the mistake of choosing to get there via the North Shore right after the Pirates game got out . Not only that, but I didn't know the Open Streets event was going, so I missed out on some easy car free downtown riding

Old 07-21-2014, 08:33 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,136,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCom View Post
I was building an electric bike because of this, but unfortunately I lost my job before completing it. It could go like 20 to 30mph up the steepest of hills.
Shoot, a moped will perform well on hills and they get around 100 mpg.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:54 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,103,012 times
Ferraris, I'll usually wait until both lanes are clear. The speed is something like 35mph there, people do close to 50mph on that stretch.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:02 AM

733 posts, read 987,582 times
In general, I tend to take the lane a bit before the turn I want to make and put my hand out a few times to signal as I approach.

But in this case, I agree with norcider. People really fly on that section of the road, so it's certainly safer to just stop and wait.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the tips norcider and CaptainPittsburgh. There's usually not much bike traffic in that lane, so stopping and waiting in the bike lane itself sounds like the safest and easiest option.

The other thing that stuck out to me was Allegheny Center. Not so much from a safety standpoint, but just a "What am I expected to do here?" standpoint. I just rode on the sidewalk ultimately. I hope the Peduto administration does something with that soon -- it seems like it would be a a non-controversial no-brainer to add some (protected) bike lanes around the loop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh