Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:07 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
No, that is only on the T (and incline):
Port Authority of Allegheny County > Rider Services > Bikes on Transit

(unless you have a folding bike)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Is that even allowed? I've never seen it tried.
I stand corrected. I'm glad they don't allow it actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 11:11 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
I wanted to point out that bicycle theft is at a crazy high level right now and I have heard of two people that have had their bikes stolen off the front of a bus. Seems the bus theft is a pretty easy target, since they just grab it and ride away.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:12 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I stand corrected. I'm glad they don't allow it actually.
Yeah, I had to look something up for someone and saw that. I could imagine someone thinking they could bring a bike on a bus and getting upset and, well, coming online and complaining

Old 07-22-2014, 01:33 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,086,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Meh. I think if you're to to the point that your commute requires a T, bus, or incline, you're not truly bike commuting. It's great that you can incorporate some exercise and fresh air into your commute, but it's still ultimately a transit commute and not a bike commute.
Well, for those that want to be insufferable purists then they can get in shape and bike up a hill one way, otherwise who cares? If the inclines or bus save you the trouble of going up a huge hill, then that is the whole entire point of being in a city and having a well-rounded complete mass transit system at your disposal.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:36 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Say it with me now, the.. buses.. have.. bike.. racks.
How many bikes can fit on each rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I have heard of two people that have had their bikes stolen off the front of a bus. Seems the bus theft is a pretty easy target, since they just grab it and ride away.
I saw this happen on Fifth Avenue downtown one day. The cops were right on the guy. He did not get away with it.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:52 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times
Quote:
Well, for those that want to be insufferable purists then they can get in shape and bike up a hill one way, otherwise who cares? If the inclines or bus save you the trouble of going up a huge hill, then that is the whole entire point of being in a city and having a well-rounded complete mass transit system at your disposal.
I'm not saying that as some sort of "bike pride" thing. I'm saying that realistically, it's a transit commute. Most of the benefit to the city of a bike commuter is lost. Transit still has to be planned, provided, and paid for. If someone takes a bus most of the way then walks to work would you say they had a walking commute?

Old 07-22-2014, 01:59 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
The buses all have bike racks now. Also, the inclines can be used as well.
So then you're taking transit to get to your destination and there's no advantage to biking whatsoever. Just take the transit, that's why you live in a city in the first place right?

Also while I am pro-bike I must reiterate that bicyclists are still very much the minority:

How Low-Income Commuters View Cycling - CityLab

Old 07-22-2014, 03:05 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Biking is out for me as I have to wear a suit (and don't really have anywhere convenient to change before heading into the office where the stuffed shirts would frown upon entering the place sans suit even if I were to immediately change into one) which isn't conducive to cycling in.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:57 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,730,837 times

Has anyone given this little concept any thought ? It could work. Or not - I just thought I'd throw it in here as it seems relevant.
Yac.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:16 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post

Has anyone given this little concept any thought ? It could work. Or not - I just thought I'd throw it in here as it seems relevant.
Yac.
Epic!! One of my favorite memories of Amsterdam was while I was on a run, crossing virtually any canal bridge (very minor brief inclines) you'd see people get off their bikes and push up the 'hill'. Young and old .. I nearly died laughing at times. I guess they ain't used to hills in Holland ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh