Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 07:42 PM

8 posts, read 15,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnedYinzer View Post
Callmetrica, You said you just came back from Philly, and you are dare to compare heroin addicts, crime, bars to here. I lived in Philly, bars close at 2, not 3-4. IT IS A STATE LAW, not a city law. They have after hour clubs in Philly that close later, the same that they have in Pittsburgh. Philly is also a much larger city then Pittsburgh.
I've lived in both cities. Grew up in Pgh and moved to Philly 8 years ago.

While you are technically correct about the 2 AM law, I know what Callmetrica is referring to. Philly's downtown (and other parts) just stay open later into the night than Pgh. There are a good deal of afterhours clubs, diners, even house parties that are busy until 4-6 AM. Plus, a lot of people live in downtown Philly (I think its pop has grown to 100k, only Chicago and NY have more pop living downtown) so when the bars let out a lot of pedistriation and taxi traffic fills the streets in places like Old City, Rittenhouse, and South Street.

It's a shame that Pgh has such a struggling downtown. It often bothers me that the good ol' pols can't seem to turn things around. Hopefully, Pgh someday will have a mayor like Nutter.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
I couldn't let that slide. So sue me.
Never say never. I usually just make these promises to myself, then I can break them and no one knows but me!

Old 12-31-2007, 03:20 AM
BVH

944 posts, read 606,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Actually it's incumbent upon the White (majority) community to recognize the roots of the plight of Black people and recognize their role in it.
How much responsibiliity are we expected to take? We have created so many social programs I have lost track. Due to affirmative action, blacks are guaranteed jobs, education, welfare before their fellow white citizens.

Instead of reaching out and taking the help that is offered, many would rather just complain about how unfair the world is, and how bad of a hand they have been dealt. I assure you, I am no Donald Trump sitting on top of my piles of money, and I am TIRED of supporting these programs from my tax dollars.

I think it is way past time for the blacks to take RESPONSIBILITY for their actions and lack thereof. It is NOT the white community's fault that they are dealing drugs and destroying their neighborhoods; It is NOT the white community's fault that some people refuse to speak proper english or pull their pants up above their butt cheeks and walk around trying to intimidate people like the low-level thugs that they are. It is THEIR choice.

My whole point here is that if you WANT to be accepted in society, you must be ACCEPTABLE to society. I am sure that it must be an absolute embarrasment to the decent black folks in this country. One only has to listen to folks like Bill Cosby to see the disappointment and anger radiating from within the black community itself, yet, nothing changes.

An interesting historical note to this fashion statement of low-hung pants: The whole trend of wearing pants pulled down below the butt so that the boxers/underwear are showing was popularized in California prisons by "queens" announcing that they were "available" to provide "services"! Yea, that's what I want to advertise!

Old 12-31-2007, 05:57 AM

107 posts, read 350,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyamensing View Post
I've lived in both cities. Grew up in Pgh and moved to Philly 8 years ago.

While you are technically correct about the 2 AM law, I know what Callmetrica is referring to. Philly's downtown (and other parts) just stay open later into the night than Pgh. There are a good deal of afterhours clubs, diners, even house parties that are busy until 4-6 AM. Plus, a lot of people live in downtown Philly (I think its pop has grown to 100k, only Chicago and NY have more pop living downtown) so when the bars let out a lot of pedistriation and taxi traffic fills the streets in places like Old City, Rittenhouse, and South Street.

It's a shame that Pgh has such a struggling downtown. It often bothers me that the good ol' pols can't seem to turn things around. Hopefully, Pgh someday will have a mayor like Nutter.
Pittsburgh is having a major change in it's downtown right now. Right now there are 2 major condo/apartment highrises that opened. Old buildings are being turned over to apartments. New residences are being added every year. Market square is undergoing a huge renovation, a new PNC tower with apartments, hotel, and office space is going up. It will be changing for the better, but many independent stores are being turned into chains, which sucks.

Pittsburgh is unlike Philly, and more like other cities in the country where downtown is for buisness, and the happening areas at night are on the corners of downtown, like Carson St., and the strip. Philly, has a nice mix in center City.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:54 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,781,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
How much responsibiliity are we expected to take? We have created so many social programs I have lost track. Due to affirmative action, blacks are guaranteed jobs, education, welfare before their fellow white citizens.

I'm garunteed a job? Really? I didn't know that! Who can I call about that?

Affirmative action is such a joke. Quotas put unqualified people into jobs that could go to a more qualified person; no matter what their race. Not to mention, even if you ARE qualified, people think you are not -- and that you only got your job due to AA. I ran into that all the time in the aviation industry by the way.

If I were you, I would be getting a lot more upset at your tax money being used for far more pointless things...like, oh 2 million dollars in cell phone charges paid on phones sold by a county employee on e-Bay (as just one small example that happened this past summer).

I agree that Bill Cosby is awesome. But if you really listen to him, he talks not to just the Black community...but to the all parents of young people. He does specifically reprimand the Black community for placing blame on White people for all of their problems; not for working with the White community for advancement where it's needed (and it direly is). There is a difference between going around a lamenting that the "White Man" is keeping you down (which I don't do, and no one in my family does) and speaking out when White people point fingers at the Black community and say, "Look at you people! Failures! Fix your own problems!" That's crazy. That's like men complaining to women who are trying to raise awareness about sexual harassment and workplace inequality issues.

If you don't like us or want to help, that is perfectly fine. Perhaps you can arrange with your local politicians to have your tax money re-routed (or move to a more lily-white place). This is a free country, and you have your rights. But to tell us we need to do this or that; ok, I'm sure the Black community will get right on that when you decide that you are in on the game as well.

One encouraging thing about the future is that young people (like teenagers today) don't get so hung up on skin color. Injustice is injustice with no weight taken away because someone is the wrong color. It's great to see that most of the Jena 6 supporters on Facebook are White; most of the anti-racism cause donators are White. Loss of categorizations is really the only way any more progress can be made.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:21 AM

919 posts, read 3,185,757 times
An interesting historical note to this fashion statement of low-hung pants: The whole trend of wearing pants pulled down below the butt so that the boxers/underwear are showing was popularized in California prisons by "queens" announcing that they were "available" to provide "services"!

Good lord, I had no idea.... but I am not surprised either.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:33 AM

511 posts, read 1,937,658 times
Quote:

I'm garunteed a job? Really? I didn't know that! Who can I call about that?
I agree one hundred percent with BVH, and to add to it, there is a black gentleman that I work with that has a terrible dispositon towards people, he always sounds like you are bothering him when someone needs help. If I were to act like that towards customers, I would most certainly be written up or even fired.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:45 AM
BVH

944 posts, read 606,292 times
Quote:

But to tell us we need to do this or that; ok, I'm sure the Black community will get right on that when you decide that you are in on the game as well.
That is exactly what I was saying. NOBODY can make any suggestions regarding the black community or they get indignant. But, I suppose all of the terrible injustices that occurred 150+ years ago justify continued sub-par behavior indefinately, right?

Old 12-31-2007, 11:05 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,072,915 times
Quote:
An interesting historical note to this fashion statement of low-hung pants: The whole trend of wearing pants pulled down below the butt so that the boxers/underwear are showing was popularized in California prisons by "queens" announcing that they were "available" to provide "services"! Yea, that's what I want to advertise!
He's so right. Actually, a TON of the style that young black men sports (stereotypically, I know) stems from how prisoners look. Sad.
Quote:
Pittsburgh is having a major change in it's downtown right now. Right now there are 2 major condo/apartment highrises that opened. Old buildings are being turned over to apartments. New residences are being added every year. Market square is undergoing a huge renovation, a new PNC tower with apartments, hotel, and office space is going up. It will be changing for the better, but many independent stores are being turned into chains, which sucks.
Downtown is coming back alive. I'd say once the RiverParc Project gets on it's feet, too, we will be seeing major changes. There is DEMAND to move downtown. And with demand will come people, and with people will come business and retail and food.

It'll happen. It already is.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:40 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,781,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
That is exactly what I was saying. NOBODY can make any suggestions regarding the black community or they get indignant. But, I suppose all of the terrible injustices that occurred 150+ years ago justify continued sub-par behavior indefinately, right?
Bad behavior is never, ever justified. If you commit a crime, you should go to jail...no matter what your race is. And it's a normal thing to get "indignant" to those who gripe and complain but don't do anything to help change the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh