Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:09 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.davon24 View Post
WoW now that's sad... I can't beleave people are still raising their kids to be like that. AVEJOHN honestly I think your a your a cool guy. I just want you and everyone else to see what we see living in the Hood. I think neighbors could help each other. I admit it was odd to see other races in the hood but, mainly it was for the wrong reason.
differently. I think there are or could be some issues on both sides. Some of the stuff, I couldn't believe. Why wouldn't the chief answer questions? What's up with the spray paint? I also found that the one that said it was racially motivated was actually White, not Black if you read the story again. Profiling seems to be occurring too. I think some of the incidents were enough to put people on edge and the fact that the community is probably small in terms of square miles, doesn't help with that either. Also, what is this VCAG group in this community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 04:38 PM

374 posts, read 1,285,356 times
It does seem weird that everyone is trying to down play the issue. How they going to break up a good program thats keep the youth busy?

Old 08-13-2008, 07:07 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
differently. I think there are or could be some issues on both sides. Some of the stuff, I couldn't believe. Why wouldn't the chief answer questions? What's up with the spray paint? I also found that the one that said it was racially motivated was actually White, not Black if you read the story again. Profiling seems to be occurring too. I think some of the incidents were enough to put people on edge and the fact that the community is probably small in terms of square miles, doesn't help with that either. Also, what is this VCAG group in this community?
The woman that said it was racially motivated is a very close friend of Mrs Berry and I believe she has several interracial children.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
What about McKeesport, West Mifflin, Penn Hills, Duquesne, New Kensington, Monroeville, Clairton, Carnegie, McKees Rocks, Braddock, East Pittsburgh, Avalon and so on?
I live in New Ken,the Parnassus section and it is fairly diverse.The thing about living in a diverse area is people tend to be clanish and live around people of the same cultural they feel comfortable with.When one talks about racial issues,I always see it as a cultural issue not a color issue.Blacks(some) seemed to have formed there own culture in this country and it is causing a further separation of the races.People will hang with whom they feel comfortable with,this is just a fact.Although I have several black friends,you will never catch me or any other true white boy hangin with the "boy's from the hood",I would feel uncomfortable and wouldn't know how to act.Cultural clash is much more difficult to overcome than color itself.A friend invited me to a cook out at his house for his brothers b-day.I was the only white person there.I have to admit I felt a little uncomfortable at first,but I took something away from there that day.Although these people ,looked a little different,talked a little different and acted a little different,they were just like me and were just working class people trying to make ends meet. My point is,this was a good experience for me and I learned to look past race as a judging factor as to who a person is.I thank god for this experience before I die.I was truly humbled and thanked my friend for inviting me.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:10 PM

374 posts, read 1,285,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I live in New Ken,the Parnassus section and it is fairly diverse.The thing about living in a diverse area is people tend to be clanish and live around people of the same cultural they feel comfortable with.When one talks about racial issues,I always see it as a cultural issue not a color issue.Blacks(some) seemed to have formed there own culture in this country and it is causing a further separation of the races.People will hang with whom they feel comfortable with,this is just a fact.Although I have several black friends,you will never catch me or any other true white boy hangin with the "boy's from the hood",I would feel uncomfortable and wouldn't know how to act.Cultural clash is much more difficult to overcome than color itself.A friend invited me to a cook out at his house for his brothers b-day.I was the only white person there.I have to admit I felt a little uncomfortable at first,but I took something away from there that day.Although these people ,looked a little different,talked a little different and acted a little different,they were just like me and were just working class people trying to make ends meet. My point is,this was a good experience for me and I learned to look past race as a judging factor as to who a person is.I thank god for this experience before I die.I was truly humbled and thanked my friend for inviting me.

Now, that is this a very good story. I wish every took the chance to do something like this including black folks. I had my humbling experience growing up in Mckeesport. Although my parents raised me not to turn my nose up to other races. My first bestfriend was a white kid named Steven, we used to get in a lot of trouble. Good for you John...

Old 08-13-2008, 07:02 PM

It's all about accepting people for what they are.It doesn't matter as long as they treat me decent.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:07 PM

Default That is ironic......

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
The woman that said it was racially motivated is a very close friend of Mrs Berry and I believe she has several interracial children.
That the friend brought that up and not Ms. Berry though. I think an older lady in the article did too and I believe she was white as well.

Anyway, it is good John that you got to experience that, because some wouldn't even think about it, let alone actually go to the function. How else are people going to honestly know for themselves? Personally, I just don't know any better because I went to schools where I was one of the few Black people in a grade. Interestingly, I was voted the captain of the football team my senior year at a school that was only about 2-3% Black and around 91-94% White. Our best player was the other main captain and he was a deaf Black kid that that came from a housing area but went to our school. He also was the state player of the year in our classification. So, as much as people know that I speak out, I can put things into perspective too.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
That the friend brought that up and not Ms. Berry though. I think an older lady in the article did too and I believe she was white as well.

Anyway, it is good John that you got to experience that, because some wouldn't even think about it, let alone actually go to the function. How else are people going to honestly know for themselves? Personally, I just don't know any better because I went to schools where I was one of the few Black people in a grade. Interestingly, I was voted the captain of the football team my senior year at a school that was only about 2-3% Black and around 91-94% White. Our best player was the other main captain and he was a deaf Black kid that that came from a housing area but went to our school. He also was the state player of the year in our classification. So, as much as people know that I speak out, I can put things into perspective too.
I wonder what ever happened to that kid??

Old 08-14-2008, 12:27 PM

Well, he was in Faces in the Crowd section of Sports Illustrated for having a monster game against our rival school by rushing for 445 yards and 6 TD's. He rushed for 1892 in 8 games(NY). He ended up going to a D3 school, but left sometime during during hiss first or second year. His girlfriend, now wife, was clingy, as was his mom. He's working and living a normal life now.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Well, he was in Faces in the Crowd section of Sports Illustrated for having a monster game against our rival school by rushing for 445 yards and 6 TD's. He rushed for 1892 in 8 games(NY). He ended up going to a D3 school, but left sometime during during hiss first or second year. His girlfriend, now wife, was clingy, as was his mom. He's working and living a normal life now.
Very good. Do you keep in touch with him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh