Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 03:01 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
A little bird DM-ed me and told me the trolls were back talking about Columbus Ahh .. somethings don't change.

And SCR, I find it incredibly depressing that you think you and your partner are at the apex of their talents and you're still in your 20s. Show some ambition, my friend, learn something new. Stop posting on here and use the time to learn something new that will earn more money. I suspect you're capable of an awful lot more then food delivery.

Been in Seattle 18 days, and it's been constantly sunny with no rain ... I have missed the Pittsburgh Arts festival though as there was some great bands on, and what about them Bucs???

Have fun troll-slaying, kids ...
Nice to hear from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 03:03 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbucci24 View Post
I do take back roads, thats the only reason why I even make it to work in 45 mins, otherwise it would be an 1.5 hours.

The Fiancee and I went to Ashville, NC this weekend for a wedding. Its a Town the size of Harrisburg, maybe even smaller. I have to say is I really liked it, its a bit too small for me, but it was like a Lawrencville, South Side, and Shady side, all mixed into one and a lot nicer and newer. Restaurants, brewery's, shopping, ect. We have a trip planned in another 2 weeks to go to Raleigh. From what I have heard, Raleigh is just a way bigger Ashville, if so, by by Pittsburgh, its been a fun ride.

I'm really hoping you like it and move away! Good luck!

Old 06-17-2015, 03:39 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I'm really hoping you like it and move away! Good luck!
Of all places, Raleigh might be the second to last city I'd move to. (Phoenix being last)

Old 06-17-2015, 05:19 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Of all places, Raleigh might be the second to last city I'd move to. (Phoenix being last)
I agree (and especially about Phoenix).

Old 06-17-2015, 06:44 PM

25 posts, read 21,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
A little bird DM-ed me and told me the trolls were back talking about Columbus Ahh .. somethings don't change.

And SCR, I find it incredibly depressing that you think you and your partner are at the apex of their talents and you're still in your 20s. Show some ambition, my friend, learn something new. Stop posting on here and use the time to learn something new that will earn more money. I suspect you're capable of an awful lot more then food delivery.

Been in Seattle 18 days, and it's been constantly sunny with no rain ... I have missed the Pittsburgh Arts festival though as there was some great bands on, and what about them Bucs???

Have fun troll-slaying, kids ...
Hmm, I assume this post has something to do with me. I wouldn't say I'm a troll for a mere mention of another city, that's pretty absurd....

Old 06-18-2015, 07:16 AM

56 posts, read 62,849 times
Quote:

Why?

Old 06-18-2015, 09:32 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I agree (and especially about Phoenix).
I also agree. As I've said, everyone looks for something different in a city. Raleigh is too sterile, too mega suburb, with about zero character. Nothing there makes me say, "I know I'm in Raleigh, because..." I don't mean to beat the place up, but wow, it is definitely lacking in the personality department in my world.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:37 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Columbus is nice, Pittsburgh it ain't.

When someone moves away from Pittsburgh it appears that there is always somewhere better to come back to. It never looks better than when you're away from it.

Now we all have different tastes and for some it's just not Pittsburgh. Can't convince them otherwise. Why try?

The Grass isn't greener there's no place really better. Pittsburgh has all one really needs, weather it's city life or suburban life, it's all there for one to succeed professionally, personally and with life in general.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:38 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
I think Vegas would be pretty damn intolerable as well.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:14 AM

42 posts, read 69,133 times
This thread is so interesting to me. I have lived in three of the cities that were mentioned; Columbus, Pittsburgh and now I am in Houston. I agree that you sometimes don't know what you have until you lose it, although in may case I had always appreciated Pittsburgh's charm and walkability. Of course, people may enjoy different things; there are a lot of people that are perfectly content with zipping from strip mall to strip mall in their cars in Houston as one poster very accurately put it.

That said, if taken in a vacuum, Pittsburgh is the best and most "city-like" city out of these three. Of course, the most important thing that affects one's perception of a city is the people there; I had a great group of friends in Columbus and I enjoyed my time the most there.

Since I started with Columbus, let me describe what I like about it. People in Columbus are pretty nice, life has a nice pace there. It has some charming neighbourhoods. I lived close to Grandview Heights there and it was nice. Though we used to joke that whoever was the person that gave that name had not seen the grandview avenue in Pittsburgh. Now that is a grand view. Anyway, Columbus is relatively walkable, compared to most American cities I mean, especially around high street. I have no idea how it has a lower overall walkscore than Houston. In Houston, people look at you like you are some kind of hobo if you are trying to walk somewhere. One negative for Columbus is public transportation, then again it wasn't that terrible around OSU.

Coming to Houston, this is just a big giant suburb. I remember asking people about a place with some unique shops where you can do people watching. Rice village is the answer I got, which turned out to be a giant strip mall. How can a metro area of almost 7 million people feel so suburban? How did it become this way? I have no idea. I don't want to dump on it too much; I love my work and daily life isn't too bad. And there is a desire and some effort to make this a better/more urban place.

Now for Pittsburgh, some of the things the OP does not like about it are what makes it great. If not for its topography, Pittsburgh could have more sprawl. Its architecture makes Pittsburgh a unique and interesting place. I used to live in Squirrel Hill. I loved taking a stroll around the city and finding some unique corners and shops on a saturday afternoon. Public transportation is much better than what you will find in most places in the US. And it has so much potential IMO, as more people begin to appreciate urban life and see what a gem Pittsburgh is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh