Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 07:16 PM

145 posts, read 183,084 times

Advertisements

I'll echo the common theme here and encourage you to make the move. You'll be comfortable and have job security, go for a few years and then reevaluate your opinion of Pittsburgh vis-a-vis Raleigh. You can always look for a new job in Pgh or elsewhere in a few years if you don't like it.

I was in a similar predicament two years ago (I'm 28), having spent my life there and had an offer to move south and took it, not because I don't love Pittsburgh because I do and most of my family and friends are there, but because I believe everyone should get out and gain some perspective at some point (there many similar threads on this forum over the years and almost everyone in the same boat as you has been given the advice to DO IT). Almost everyone seems to go back, I know I will eventually as well, it'll always be there and your time away will fly by.

FWIW I've had two friends move to the tri cities area of NC, one was a lifelong Pittsburgher who moved to Durham for grad school and the other was an "adopted son", a Chinese national who spent 5 years and absolutely fell in love with Pgh who moved to Chapel Hill for his PhD and both of them love living there and plan to raise their families there.

One day I will make a long post about the pros and cons of Pittsburgh vs my new city (which is very highly regarded, but has a long list of cons that does not make it into the tourist brochures....sneak preview, Pittsburgh wins, sometimes you don't appreciate what you have until you don't have it anymore!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 11:08 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,397,068 times
I like the fact that Pittsburgh still holds onto its steel mill roots, it reminds the world that this city can compete with anyone at any task. We have such a diverse population that seems to work well together.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:50 PM

419 posts, read 446,426 times
The internet is now about twenty years old and I have been posting on Pittsburgh based web sites for just about as long. In the early days of posting, the supposed "cool" cities among many of the younger posters were the cities that were newer, had a lot of sprawl, and tended to be in warmer climates. The tone of many that soured on Pittsburgh wanted to go to "you know, cool cities, like Atlanta, Charlotte, Phoenix or Dallas! where they have SOOO many shopping centers"! Nothing against those cities. Just using for example.
The funny thing is, within the last decade, the older cities, like Pittsburgh, with intact business districts, walkable neighborhoods, and an urban feel, are considered the cool ones. The first thing that I thought when I read the OP was that it was like a post from the the 1990s. Maybe, just maybe, many of those who were younger and made their their way to what they perceived as a cool city in the 1990s found their way to a city like Pittsburgh and felt that their tastes had changed in what was cool and what was not.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:39 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,946,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
The internet is now about twenty years old and I have been posting on Pittsburgh based web sites for just about as long. In the early days of posting, the supposed "cool" cities among many of the younger posters were the cities that were newer, had a lot of sprawl, and tended to be in warmer climates. The tone of many that soured on Pittsburgh wanted to go to "you know, cool cities, like Atlanta, Charlotte, Phoenix or Dallas! where they have SOOO many shopping centers"! Nothing against those cities. Just using for example.
The funny thing is, within the last decade, the older cities, like Pittsburgh, with intact business districts, walkable neighborhoods, and an urban feel, are considered the cool ones. The first thing that I thought when I read the OP was that it was like a post from the the 1990s. Maybe, just maybe, many of those who were younger and made their their way to what they perceived as a cool city in the 1990s found their way to a city like Pittsburgh and felt that their tastes had changed in what was cool and what was not.
I've literally NEVER heard any of Atlanta, Charlotte, Phoenix, or Dallas described as "cool".

Old 06-10-2015, 05:27 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
I've literally NEVER heard any of Atlanta, Charlotte, Phoenix, or Dallas described as "cool".
Atlanta is cool. The city is also in a great central location. If I was to move back South, Atlanta would be in my top 5 choices. From what I have heard of Dallas since I was last there, the city is going through a lot of changes and becoming cool. Charlotte and Phoenix are rather dull, in my opinion.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:49 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,792,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Atlanta is cool. The city is also in a great central location. If I was to move back South, Atlanta would be in my top 5 choices. From what I have heard of Dallas since I was last there, the city is going through a lot of changes and becoming cool. Charlotte and Phoenix are rather dull, in my opinion.
Thanks for the love as these forums tend to be very one region minded I mean for example what some people might call dull in Pittsburgh is what someone might call new in Phoenix. Its all difference of opinion. I'm a occasional poster on other state forums just to see what is going on and I realized the Florida forum is probably the least "catty" forum I've seen. Like everybody generally either likes the state or doesn't. But the Indiana, Ohio, Pittsburgh, and Phoenix forums can be very cut throat with very little deviation. My general impression of Pittsburgh even though I never been there is a very nice, interesting, and unique city with a lot to offer. However it might lack some things people like that are more common out west or down south. Like I said in the Ohio forum the other day, Pittsburgh needs to embrace and capitalize on its assets if it wants to compete with very "popular locations" such as Florida, California, Colorado, Arizona and Texas. Those states take their natural assets(beaches, Mountains, Deserts, Nice Weather) and present them all over national tv. Come to think of it I have seen commercials of California, Michigan,and Florida but never of Pennsylvania. Economic assets are important to so Texas gets lots of buzz because of that. My whole point is that we should appreciate all what our country has to offer.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:47 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Like I said in the Ohio forum the other day, Pittsburgh needs to embrace and capitalize on its assets if it wants to compete with very "popular locations" such as Florida, California, Colorado, Arizona and Texas.
But see, that is the difference between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Cleveland is a regional city...more thoughtful of developing a NE Ohio brand by welcoming growth in other NE cities. Ohio hit rock bottom so they want to improve. Residents are gung ho on growth. In addition, except for California and Colorado, the states you mentioned don't have the heavy bureaucracy of PA.

Pittsburgh is very lone wolf. The cities all stand alone. There is a reason why you don't hear much about people coming from SWPA. Instead, they come from Mt. Lebanon, Cranberry, Washington, etc. It takes the city of Pittsburgh over 6 years to decide whether or not they want a BRT route. Pittsburgh will always be playing catch up because of the attitudes and government red tape. We won't be able to compete with states that offer a united vision and plans for the future.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:36 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,776,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
But see, that is the difference between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Cleveland is a regional city...more thoughtful of developing a NE Ohio brand by welcoming growth in other NE cities. Ohio hit rock bottom so they want to improve. Residents are gung ho on growth. In addition, except for California and Colorado, the states you mentioned don't have the heavy bureaucracy of PA.

Pittsburgh is very lone wolf. The cities all stand alone. There is a reason why you don't hear much about people coming from SWPA. Instead, they come from Mt. Lebanon, Cranberry, Washington, etc. It takes the city of Pittsburgh over 6 years to decide whether or not they want a BRT route. Pittsburgh will always be playing catch up because of the attitudes and government red tape. We won't be able to compete with states that offer a united vision and plans for the future.
I'm no expert on this, but I believe that Cleveland is in fact still in decline, while Pittsburgh is going through a long term renewal.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:28 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,762,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
That means you didn't start using the internet until about 10 years ago. Back in 2000, people couldn't shut up about how awesome Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Dallas, Phoenix or Las Vegas were.

Then 2008 happened...

Old 06-11-2015, 08:45 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,946,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
That means you didn't start using the internet until about 10 years ago. Back in 2000, people couldn't shut up about how awesome Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Dallas, Phoenix or Las Vegas were.

Then 2008 happened...
It's not like I didn't realize these places were "popular". But "cool" is a different phenomena altogether. "Cool" was Portland, Austin, Seattle, San Fran, Brooklyn, Denver...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh