Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 09:10 AM

419 posts, read 446,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
What more do you want? There is plenty already there.
I hope plans to get that Movie theater on 6th Street on the former Bally's Sport location come to fruition. I also have heard rumblings of a bowling alley. As for a full scale supermarket, I think that is overblown. It would not be possible to carry eight, ten, twelve bags bag to your flat or hotel room even if you are only a block or two away. Shopping carts would not be allowed to leave the premises and be on Downtown sidewalks. I suppose an East Liberty Target style grocery store with a dedicated parking garage could be built Downtown, but that would require more square footage in a tight Downtown. Although I am sure many in nearby East End neighborhoods may walk to that Target, I doubt that they are doing large scale shopping. They most likely have one or two or three bags. People need their car any way. Suburbanites drive to the grocery store to do major shopping and so do city dwellers. Downtown would be better served to add more specialty stores like Market Street Grocery and other small retail. I could possibly see a Giant Eagle Express built on the fringe of the Golden Triangle, possibly where the Goodyear currently is. This would also give Downtown visitors a place to gas up, which it has not had in nearly twenty years since that gas station closed on Fort Duquesne Blvd. on land now owned by the Cultural Trust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 09:15 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket88 View Post
As for a full scale supermarket, I think that is overblown. It would not be possible to carry eight, ten, twelve bags back to your flat or hotel room even if you are only a block or two away.
I walk to Market District in Shadyside, Whole Foods, and Aldi all the time. I have never bought "eight, ten, twelve bags" at one time. I buy what I can carry, and go back when I need more. I suspect I'd do the same if I lived downtown and there were a supermarket there. And I wouldn't live downtown if there weren't.

Last edited by jay5835; 08-13-2015 at 09:25 AM..

Old 08-13-2015, 09:19 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I walk to Market District in Shadyside, Whole Foods, and Aldi all the time. I have never bought "eight, ten, twelve bags" at one time. I buy what I can carry, and go back when I need more.
Yeah. I mean, when I lived in DC, I shopped via walking and biking, only using the car for my work commute to the suburbs. I shopped 2-3 times a week, buying only a bag or two of groceries at a time.

It's of course not feasible if you're a family of four, but that isn't who would be living downtown (except in rare circumstances) anyway.

That said, I can't imagine anyone shopping for staples mainly at Market Street grocery. I've been browsing in there since opening, and can never find anything worth buying. IMHO their deli counter needs to be scaled way back, and they need to have more space dedicated to prepared foods and a hot bar.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:20 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
I hope plans to get that Movie theater on 6th Street on the former Bally's Sport location come to fruition. I also have heard rumblings of a bowling alley. As for a full scale supermarket, I think that is overblown. It would not be possible to carry eight, ten, twelve bags bag to your flat or hotel room even if you are only a block or two away. Shopping carts would not be allowed to leave the premises and be on Downtown sidewalks. I suppose an East Liberty Target style grocery store with a dedicated parking garage could be built Downtown, but that would require more square footage in a tight Downtown. Although I am sure many in nearby East End neighborhoods may walk to that Target, I doubt that they are doing large scale shopping. They most likely have one or two or three bags. People need their car any way. Suburbanites drive to the grocery store to do major shopping and so do city dwellers. Downtown would be better served to add more specialty stores like Market Street Grocery and other small retail. I could possibly see a Giant Eagle Express built on the fringe of the Golden Triangle, possibly where the Goodyear currently is. This would also give Downtown visitors a place to gas up, which it has not had in nearly twenty years since that gas station closed on Fort Duquesne Blvd. on land now owned by the Cultural Trust.
If there were a real grocery store downtown, residents wouldn't need to be doing a month's worth of shopping in one trip.

Also: ROLSER - Official Website

I don't have a cart anywhere near as nice as those, and can tote two weeks worth of meat, vegetables and sundry from the Strip.

Last edited by doo dah; 08-13-2015 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: on review, what ^^^ they said

Old 08-13-2015, 09:35 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I'll can assume that you haven't been downtown lately. There are many options in downtown and the immediate area. This summer has been amazing for downtown night life.
I doubt it, but go ahead and tell me of all these nightlife developments that have sprung up downtown recently.

Only thing that comes to mind is that bit between 8th & 10th on Penn and Liberty that I'd call new. Everything else has been there for the most part.

And what of the shopping that's sprung up downtown?

Now nearby is another story, but I've always assumed downtown living was about convenience. Have you tried driving around Pittsburgh?

Also, to the other poster about a regular movie theater going in downtown I'm not sure if that'll happen. There used to be a movie theater downtown, but they always had trouble with kids being rowdy. Would be nice though.

Years ago there was a big bookstore downtown, which would be another thing that it would be nice to see open again.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:39 AM

419 posts, read 446,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I walk to Market District in Shadyside, Whole Foods, and Aldi all the time. I have never bought "eight, ten, twelve bags" at one time. I buy what I can carry, and go back when I need more. I suspect I'd do the same if I lived downtown and there were a supermarket there. And I wouldn't live downtown if there weren't.
Then the next question is would it be feasible to build a large scale grocery on very expensive urban real estate when the average customer is spending $20.00 as opposed to an amount substantially higher. I guess it all comes down to volume in the end, but there is a lot of shrinkage in the grocery business. Retailers usually look for a certain price point from the average customer. Plus, all of those East End places mentioned have their own parking, which allows more soccer moms to load up the back of the van after dropping $150.00 at Market District to feed hubby, junior and sissy. Customers like that help the bottom line .

Note: I know it is more than "soccer moms" that shop in the East End. This was only an example.

Last edited by Rocket88; 08-13-2015 at 09:48 AM..

Old 08-13-2015, 10:08 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I doubt it, but go ahead and tell me of all these nightlife developments that have sprung up downtown recently.

Only thing that comes to mind is that bit between 8th & 10th on Penn and Liberty that I'd call new. Everything else has been there for the most part.

And what of the shopping that's sprung up downtown?

Now nearby is another story, but I've always assumed downtown living was about convenience. Have you tried driving around Pittsburgh?

Also, to the other poster about a regular movie theater going in downtown I'm not sure if that'll happen. There used to be a movie theater downtown, but they always had trouble with kids being rowdy. Would be nice though.

Years ago there was a big bookstore downtown, which would be another thing that it would be nice to see open again.
I'm here to tell you this is indeed the case. Town has had a resurgence of new bars, restaurants and other attractions. I was up on the 9th floor of some hotel's beer garten last Friday and it was packed. Maybe not nightlife as in clubs like the strip's heyday in the late 80's early 90's but the nightlife otherwise in town has increased dramatically. Town needs and will get some sort of market, matter of time.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:17 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Most restaurants had a 90 minute+ wait for walk-ups on Sunday evening. Town was nuts....

Old 08-13-2015, 10:27 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Then the next question is would it be feasible to build a large scale grocery on very expensive urban real estate when the average customer is spending $20.00 as opposed to an amount substantially higher. I guess it all comes down to volume in the end, but there is a lot of shrinkage in the grocery business. Retailers usually look for a certain price point from the average customer. Plus, all of those East End places mentioned have their own parking, which allows more soccer moms to load up the back of the van after dropping $150.00 at Market District to feed hubby, junior and sissy. Customers like that help the bottom line .

Note: I know it is more than "soccer moms" that shop in the East End. This was only an example.
If it's feasible in The Chicago Loop and Wall Street, I think it's feasible in downtown Pittsburgh.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:35 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
I've lived where I've done most of my shopping in an urban grocery store that had no parking & it worked out fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh