Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 12:59 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
God forbid anything being said incorrectly about Clairton
Ummm...that is not the point really. The point is that Clairton is not a neighborhood or anything of Pittsburgh (technically, it is a suburb; but there is very little reason for a person to come to Clairton unless it's to see someone they know or if they are one of the 200 people who work in the USX Clairton Works...there's not even a grocery store here!). Therefore, whenever someone lists "Clairton" in a thread referencing "Pittsburgh's bad neighborhoods", you can tell they are just fishing for names to make their list long.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:21 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Ummm...that is not the point really. The point is that Clairton is not a neighborhood or anything of Pittsburgh (technically, it is a suburb; but there is very little reason for a person to come to Clairton unless it's to see someone they know or if they are one of the 200 people who work in the USX Clairton Works...there's not even a grocery store here!). Therefore, whenever someone lists "Clairton" in a thread referencing "Pittsburgh's bad neighborhoods", you can tell they are just fishing for names to make their list long.
When people refer to Pgh area, they could be referring to one of the bordering communities which could,at least for conversation sake,be considered Pgh.Although technically, it's not.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:56 PM

5 posts, read 18,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I was raised in Penn Hills and the people in those projects ruined the East Hills shopping center and that particular section of Penn Hills. As far as I am concerned,all of these morons can continue to shoot and kill each other.In your post,you act as if all this gang and "being cool" BS (and that's what it is)is a good thing.It is that type of mentality that is the ruination of what was once a decent area.You act as though you are proud of being raised in this type of atmosphere.Get an education,learn how to spell and grow up!

lol actually i am proud of where im from, it may not be the perfect place to grow up , but it is where I grew up, and as for your assumation that i am uneducated . . . it just goes to show your bias toward people from the 'hood'. simply because i am from east hills you thought i was ignorant. how wrong you are. don't be so quick to judge people by where they're from or by they're common vernacular . . . it's just the way i type . . . . . ***** lol

Old 03-23-2009, 08:51 PM

421 posts, read 1,566,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Who should be arrested? If a white cop sees a black youth dressed in baggy slung low pants with a bandanna hanging out his pocket does that make him a gang banger or a wannabe? Would that same cop arrest a white kid dressed the same.....I don't think so.
And that is ridiculous!!! Some of these white kids are violent, drug dealing and using thugs who should be thrown in prison and left to rot like the filth that they truly are. Drug use and violence are learned behaviors. A young man of any skin color can become a delinquent.

In recent years, there seems to be an epidemic, in small towns, of white kids dressing this way. For some, it is just dress, and is harmless, just as is true for plenty of black youth. If you scratch the surface of a lot of these white so-called wannabe gangster kids, though, a lot of them are most definitely NOT straight A students. They do not just happen to wear hateful looks on their faces, listen to hateful gangster rap music, go around mumbling expletives about women, and refuse to communicate respectfully with adults. All of that stuff is not just an act. Many of these white teens who are into this gangster rap culture are constantly starting fights, picking on nice kids, and are very much into drugs. They are into the gangster rap culture, and that is a culture of killing, drug use and dealing, and disrespecting women. Anyone who thinks that these kids being white means they are not scum is just being ignorant. Bad behaviors do not have racial boundaries any more than good behaviors do. If these white kids are just posers, than why are small towns, in recent years, showing so many drug problems?? Why is there suddenly a bunch of crime in DuBois?? The police in these small towns need to wake up and start looking at the effect of this gangster rap culture on the kids in their towns. If this culture created a crime wave in black neighborhoods, it can do the same in poorer white areas if the teens prone to look for heroes and role models in gangster rappers are not properly supervised by adults.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysiple23 View Post
lol actually i am proud of where im from, it may not be the perfect place to grow up , but it is where I grew up, and as for your assumation that i am uneducated . . . it just goes to show your bias toward people from the 'hood'. simply because i am from east hills you thought i was ignorant. how wrong you are. don't be so quick to judge people by where they're from or by they're common vernacular . . . it's just the way i type . . . . . ***** lol
In the words o Bill Cosby, "You are all a bunch of knuckleheads". And as for Ebonics, it is nothing but bastardized English. Oh please let me grow up in "the hood". What a wonderful place to raise a child.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:33 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
I didn't read the entire thread, but I do know for a fact that the gangs in Pittsburgh still exist and are still active. Its not as bad as it was back in the early 90's where you couldn't wear the color red in Homewood or the color blue in Garfield, and football players who excelled really well from Homewood couldn't attend Perry Traditional Academy, on the North Side, because of the neighborhood they were from, for example, but gang activity has been on the rise again within the past 2 years, after it had calmed down over the past 10 years or so. You still have to be REALLY careful and especially careful if you're a young black male entering a neighborhood you're not from. If you are a guy from the Hill and he wants to go visit a girl he likes in Homewood, it may not end well for the guy from the Hill. Yes, the neighborhood rivalries are quite ridiculous, STILL.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
I didn't read the entire thread, but I do know for a fact that the gangs in Pittsburgh still exist and are still active. Its not as bad as it was back in the early 90's where you couldn't wear the color red in Homewood or the color blue in Garfield, and football players who excelled really well from Homewood couldn't attend Perry Traditional Academy, on the North Side, because of the neighborhood they were from, for example, but gang activity has been on the rise again within the past 2 years, after it had calmed down over the past 10 years or so. You still have to be REALLY careful and especially careful if you're a young black male entering a neighborhood you're not from. If you are a guy from the Hill and he wants to go visit a girl he likes in Homewood, it may not end well for the guy from the Hill. Yes, the neighborhood rivalries are quite ridiculous, STILL.
Thanks for the bold print, my eyes are getting bad at my age, anyway I can't believe that some of you people(Dysiple 23) actually think this is a great place to live. If it is so wonderful in da hood then maybe you should move back there and raise a family.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:46 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Orwelleaut, that was a interesting rant, but what did that have to do with what I said? Don't be confused, I was referring to PITTSBURGH not some some town in the middle of nowhere. The police do and will continue to harass young black males who decide to dress like they just come out of jail under the presumption that they are up to no good. Many of the officers that I have talked to don't view a young white male dressed the same way as a threat ...just a wannabe thug.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:50 PM

Dys, You are absolutely correct. I have grew up on the hill, hung out in East (philly)Hills and had a girlfriend in Homewood, so I can relate to what you are saying. Hey but opinions are like ----------and everyone has one

Old 04-06-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysiple23 View Post
are u sure about that, because i ckuld take u 2 a few places on the hill and prove that there are gangs there.
Where? these were people that called themselves a gang b/c of the area i.e "the MAD Circle- Warring Court, Weedside Rd - Whiteside Rd, Rob-it-son Court - Robinson Court, and Elmore Square and Bentley Drive had their own crews at the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh