Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 07:32 AM

831 posts, read 879,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiegman View Post
Bike lanes are restricted to pedestrian and bicycle travel. They are open to motorized vehicles under the ADA (Disability Act) for disabled individuals. Wheelchairs and other wheelchair-like devices are covered under that act as are Other Mobility Devices (OMD's). The OMD's can't be internal combustion, the electric motor is less than 750 watts (this varies from trail to trail), must be less than 100 lbs, must be less than 36" wide, and have operating pedals that allow the device to be driven without the electric assist.

That applies to most of the bike trails in the area and is suspect that the bike lanes are an extension of the trails.

The legislation passed in 2014 defines an electric bicycle. The reason for the passage of that legislation was that electric bikes were being used on highways and there was confusion as to them being a bicycle or a motorcycle. The later needs to have certain safety features, a serial #, and a license. That bill was aimed at electric bikes on roads and highways.
Honestly, it's not that I don't believe you I'm just curious where I would find the actual law. All the laws that I found were from the perspective of the bike, not a car (Title 75 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 07:35 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
There is no law, just because it is called a bike lane does not mean it is exclusively for bikes, I am a believer that it should be bikes only, but until a law is passed it is free game for any legal vehicle.

The bike lane sign is just as enforceable as an employee of the month parking spot or an expecting mother parking, someone may be a dick for parking there but is a crime committed.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:38 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiegman View Post
Bike lanes are restricted to pedestrian and bicycle travel. They are open to motorized vehicles under the ADA (Disability Act) for disabled individuals. Wheelchairs and other wheelchair-like devices are covered under that act as are Other Mobility Devices (OMD's). The OMD's can't be internal combustion, the electric motor is less than 750 watts (this varies from trail to trail), must be less than 100 lbs, must be less than 36" wide, and have operating pedals that allow the device to be driven without the electric assist.

That applies to most of the bike trails in the area and is suspect that the bike lanes are an extension of the trails.

The legislation passed in 2014 defines an electric bicycle. The reason for the passage of that legislation was that electric bikes were being used on highways and there was confusion as to them being a bicycle or a motorcycle. The later needs to have certain safety features, a serial #, and a license. That bill was aimed at electric bikes on roads and highways.

Bike trails (again, I'm not as clear about bike lanes) are owned by a variety of entities. In Pittsburgh a trail such as the Eliza Furnace Trail is owned by the city. Beyond the city, in some sections the Great Allegheny Passage is owned by a private group (the Regional Trail Corp.), Ohiopyle State Park, and Somerset County. The regulations allowing or disallowing various mobility devices depends on the group/agency that owns the trail so if you are going to use a particular type of device you need to check with the individual group responsible for the trail.

pgw
Bike trails maybe connected, but they are not an extension by law. This is why Philadelphia had to pass its own laws.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
There is no law, just because it is called a bike lane does not mean it is exclusively for bikes, I am a believer that it should be bikes only, but until a law is passed it is free game for any legal vehicle.

The bike lane sign is just as enforceable as an employee of the month parking spot or an expecting mother parking, someone may be a dick for parking there but is a crime committed.
Ok...that must be why the cops never stopped me when I was on my motorcycle in the bike lane.

Anyway, thanks...that's good info to know.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:09 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I'm pretty sure this is wrong. The code says drivers have to obey the signs and that local government can place traffic control devices. Pedalcycles are what is in the code and they are defined as human powered.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I'm pretty sure this is wrong. The code says drivers have to obey the signs and that local government can place traffic control devices. Pedalcycles are what is in the code and they are defined as human powered.
You may be right...that's why I'm looking for the specific motor vehicle code to be sure.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:49 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The code says drivers have to obey the signs and that local government can place traffic control devices.
No, that can't be! Signs are just decorations, right?

Old 10-06-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
No, that can't be! Signs are just decorations, right?
Show me the law...it's pretty simple.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:17 AM

111 posts, read 114,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Show me the law...it's pretty simple.
Title 75 of PA Consolidated Statues, Section 3309, captioned, "Driving on roadways laned for traffic.":

Whenever any roadway has been divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic the following rules in addition to all others not inconsistent therewith shall apply:

(3) Lanes limited to specific use. — Official traffic-control devices may be erected to restrict the use of specified lanes to specified classes or types of traffic or vehicles, including multioccupant vehicles or car pools, and drivers of vehicles shall obey the directions of every such device.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:20 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
There's nothing in the Pennsylvania State Code that says the placekicker can't be a mule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh