Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2016, 08:45 PM

325 posts, read 323,139 times

Advertisements

Two People Found Dead In Mt. Washington « CBS Pittsburgh

Hope not murders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 04:02 PM

Man dies after being shot multiple times on Wilkinsburg street | WPXI

Add another on to Wilkinsburg... I drove through there the other day and franklin street is possibly the most blighted I've seen in the metro area

Old 12-04-2016, 06:21 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky329 View Post
Man dies after being shot multiple times on Wilkinsburg street | WPXI

Add another on to Wilkinsburg... I drove through there the other day and franklin street is possibly the most blighted I've seen in the metro area
Few people in power care if there's a young black male on young black male murder in: Middle Hill/Bedford-Hill, Northview Heights/the upper Northside, the Southern Hilltop, West End/Stowe Rocks, Mon Valley or outer East End (upper Larimer, Homewood, Lincoln, East Hills, central Wilkinsburg or even southwest Penn Hills). Now if it was Garfield, East Liberty, the Lower Northside, the Hill District near Oakland or even Lower Larimer then it would be different... Why would it be different look at the title of this thread. Murders aren't happening on Jacksonia Street or North St. Clair Street or Robinson Court (now a Soccer Field)... Though Maple Ridge Apts (East Hills), Clairton around Millvue Acres, or Rankin it will go unsolved most of the time. It's the reality that in the forgotten and neglected quarters of the city or county or metro for that matter, that we all have to live with.

Few people in power care if there's a young black male on young black male murder (as in their eye's the problem is too big or is in actuality too beneficial to actually fix).

Old 12-04-2016, 10:19 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Few people in power care if there's a young black male on young black male murder (as in their eye's the problem is too big or is in actuality too beneficial to actually fix).
This stuff is turf war or money owed issues correct? There is so much anti police etc, what is your thought on it really? Police can't really do much if no one is willing to discuss anything with them. I would be interested in hearing your real opinion. What do you expect police to really do? Heck Wendy Bell got fired for feeling bad about that mass shooting. Don't you think police are worried about their jobs? It isn't so easy you know.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
This stuff is turf war or money owed issues correct? There is so much anti police etc, what is your thought on it really? Police can't really do much if no one is willing to discuss anything with them. I would be interested in hearing your real opinion. What do you expect police to really do? Heck Wendy Bell got fired for feeling bad about that mass shooting. Don't you think police are worried about their jobs? It isn't so easy you know.
I have no idea of the motive. I'm in agreement with you on guessing that those who do know and are not directly involved - would not be inclined to go to the police. Shoot Police Chief McClay took flack for saying something that Wendy Bell would have been better off embodying after becoming more educated on: (A) how to avoid micro-aggressions/the politically correct way to speak on race-related issues & (B) the current situation of the East Side: Zone 5/Wilkinsburg "Body Bag" (which began in the Urban Renewal Era of the City, got worse once the Hill & Homewood burned up after Dr. King was assassinated, got even worse when gangs/crack hit Westgate Village/the rest of the city, and culminated in shooting deaths of 5 unarmed adults and an unborn baby - which is still an ongoing trial with no convictions).

In a broader scale, *you gg & others have to recognize* historically the police job has not been to protect and serve the people who look like most of the homicide victims in our society. Now to varying degrees, this has changed overtime, but there are still disparities... Q: What can the police do? A: Go back to community style of policing, stay in the model of policing that: McLay, the PIRC and black community leaders have suggested. Shoot here's an idea: can somebody fund more Shotspotter for Wilkinsburg instead of mainly funding federal heroin indictments and a gang RICO Act that occurred 21 years ago??? If there was better work being done to stop the shootings/solve the shootings, maybe work with the community based cease-fire groups like the defunct One Vision One Life and current Pittsburgh MAD Dads could go better too.

These places like Wilkinsburg or the East Hills "Projects" or Homewood North are not safe. Nor are they ruled by the police who sometimes put guns/dope on the table after a drug indictment case, or have saturation patrol cars following a shooting incident, or arrest so many people that our county jail is overflowing despite their absurdly low homicide clearance rates. They're ruled by a cycle of crime/criminals due to a failed system. What I'm eluding to is that the War on Drugs is not a war on murders and that means the policing/prosecution system is not serving to benefit the most oppressed demographics of people who have to live in communities with the most violent crime. Hopefully that's a nice enough way of saying what I really want to say without easily triggering any bigots who regularly post on this forum./?

Last edited by Uptown kid; 12-05-2016 at 12:40 AM..

Old 12-05-2016, 06:02 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Few people in power care if there's a young black male on young black male murder in: Middle Hill/Bedford-Hill....then it would be different... Why would it be different look at the title of this thread. Murders aren't happening on Jacksonia Street or North St. Clair Street or Robinson Court (now a Soccer Field)...It's the reality that in the forgotten and neglected quarters of the city or county or metro for that matter, that we all have to live with.

Well hold on...I was the person who suggests this is EVERYONE's concern. Then I was sort of shouted down by response comments.

Now you lament that "few people care". Should they, if it is a "lost cause", as you stated in another thread?

Old 12-05-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Well hold on...I was the person who suggests this is EVERYONE's concern. Then I was sort of shouted down by response comments.

Now you lament that "few people care". Should they, if it is a "lost cause", as you stated in another thread?
The "lost cause" was in response to a thread that alluded to the many neighborhood rivalry-based, fist fight brawls that occurred on Liberty Ave near the Wood Street Station. To say that teenaged fist fight brawls are equivalent to murders changing in geography due to the ramifications of housing project closure/gentrification is to say that life doesn't matter . And whether Black, Latino, Arab/Middle Eastern, Native American, Asian, White, Mixed, #younameit blank lives matter challenge, is something that I would never proclaim out of my mouth to be said by me.

Just think if Homewood/Wilkinsburg were predominately white neighborhoods with as many unsolved homicides, or if a six year old girl was murdered in Shadyside rather than Knoxville, or if the South Side/West Side of Chicago dropped as many white homicides as black/Hispanic. In my opinion, facts of life prove that there would be a different scenario with more outcry and a solution that would never let the problem get that far.

You see szug-bot some people are looking for a cop-out, looking to be told that it's okay not to care. That they can give to some corrupt, hoax organization in Third World Africa, but not give two poops about 2nd class America. That it's okay for them to think they are better than others, more educated than others, and not even indirectly apart of the institutional problem. Although, many white people don't fit into this category, as many are not racist. Many protest with Black Lives Matter and other equality movements. These people also include US military veterans. Vets who are defending Native Americans in North Dakota right now, and even supported Colin Kaepernick's silent protest. And people who don't feel that they don't have the privilege of knowing or caring about a notion that could distort their view of a great nation. People who want to do more than hear a potentially biased story on a news station. These are not the people who, have no desire for an intact inner city. But rather those who travel past the Franklin Avenues and wonder why with skepticism that it's not 'just the blacks own fault'. White privilege is the one thing that often makes it socially more advantageous to be a poor white or (sometimes Asian) person than a black, Hispanic, Muslim or Native American. The only way blacks have historically beat this notion was to gain freedom, or be "passing". Now it's the combination of fortune, virtue and perseverance to beat the system. But people don't want to acknowledge the system or say they have to care, only because they're in such a position of privilege. We're not talking about murders happening in the well to do black-mixed areas around Atlanta or even the nice black neighborhoods scattered west and east of the city core. We're talking about murders in the same black areas of the city data census map. Same as where many of the poor people, same as live as where the single parent households are... as were the gangs are as where the arrest are, etc.

Still it ultimately will take a predominately black solution to fix a predominately black problem. If there were as many non-illegally involved/non-drug selling educated, black civil rights groups as the were gang members/drug dealers we would have significantly less non-extrajudicial violence. If all of the Crips, Bloods/Piru, GDs, VLs, P-Stones, BDs and other gangs all were converted from selling drugs to completely something legal, and only using legal guns... That would have a tremendous impact on the community... A drug lord of the ghetto who has either a paid attorney and/or an organized control of his/her turf has more power than the local: police chief, patrol cop, mayor, prosecutor, teacher, superintendent, security constable, section 8 management, slumlord-landlord, you name it. He/she controls the money and he/she controls the guns. When there's no control it's just as bad because everybody's trying to be the king of the most illegal/violent trade in society. That's why the age of the shooters of 2010's era's are getting younger and younger than those from the 70's, 80's,90's and 2000's ghettos. However, if we reclaimed our communities, we'd have a better platform to benefit from education and would in turn be more economically capable of escaping poverty/violence...

However, the downfall of plight in the black community would put many police offices out of commision, decrease the legal gun purchasing as they eventually get dumped into black communities, collapse the private prison industry and could logically even increase more bi-racial children... Plus I can't foresee this happening soon because of all the internal and external aspects of society working against a healthy low income black population in America.

All in all this is somewhat off topic, but somebody told me they want to hear my honest answers.

Last edited by Uptown kid; 12-05-2016 at 07:52 AM..

Old 12-05-2016, 08:17 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:

All in all this is somewhat off topic, but somebody told me they want to hear my honest answers.
That was me and I appreciate that you took the time to say what you felt. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:19 PM

Back on Topic.
Anybody hear about all these shootings which are mostly unsolved homicides and "on going investigations" over the last two and a half weeks.

Woman, 23, critically wounded in McKees Rocks shooting another broad daylight, female shooting this time in rough section of McKees Rocks
NON-FATAL SHOOTING IN MARSHALL-SHADELAND UNDER INVESTIGATION - another shooting on rough block this time in M-S
MALE SHOT IN GARFIELD - young man shot on well known block of Garfield
Police investigate 2 shootings less than hour apart in Hill District - two broad daylight gang-related shootings in rival public housing sections
One Man Dead In Wilkinsburg Shooting - one man pronouced dead on well known rough street of Wilkinsburg near Franklin Ave
MALE SHOT IN ZONE 2 - man shot in early daylight hours in a well known street of Lower Hill near Skyline Terrace (Formerly Addison Terrace)
KNOXVILLE HOMICIDE UNDER INVESTIGATION - woman shot broad daylight currently unsolved homicide
1 Killed, 3 Others Injured In East Hills Shooting - 22 year old man shot in broad daylight, currently unsolved homicide where three incocent by sanderds were also hurt.
Police investigating shooting on basketball court - broad daylight basketball court shooting of young man in Sugar Top being investagated by group violence unit
*Some of these are presuably connected due to 2000's-10's era gang rivialries that exist which include several gangs that have relocated due to project clousres and gentrification
51-year-old man stabbed to death in Rankin - isoloated interpersonal stabbing near rough block of Rankin

Last edited by Uptown kid; 12-05-2016 at 01:38 PM..

Old 12-20-2016, 06:52 AM

Woman found slumped over in car dies of gunshot wound in Pittsburgh

I'm starting to think maybe East Hills is the worst square mile in America.. Something has to change because people die there constantly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh