Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 07:16 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
The black communities were mostly located in the lower sections of the cities. As Industry increased black people were displaced by larger factories. During WWII the mills increased production and since New Homestead has a large riverfront blacks were most likely displaced by industry. This happened in Clairton, PA and there are still houses adjacent to the huge coke works plant. Clairton's black baseball field is in the shadow of the huge USS Coke Works plant. There are 50 - 100 foot slag piles right next to homes along the Peter's Creek area.
Yeah. I know if you look at the 1940 census numbers compared to the 1960 numbers, you'll note that some areas which had a small but recordable black population, like South Side and Central/Upper Lawrenceville, went to essentially having zero black people. My understanding is in those cases it was because the black sections of the neighborhood (often just a few blocks) were in the way of mill expansion. Once they were gone, residents had no choice but to move to a more heavily black neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 08:28 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,960,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yeah. I know if you look at the 1940 census numbers compared to the 1960 numbers, you'll note that some areas which had a small but recordable black population, like South Side and Central/Upper Lawrenceville, went to essentially having zero black people. My understanding is in those cases it was because the black sections of the neighborhood (often just a few blocks) were in the way of mill expansion. Once they were gone, residents had no choice but to move to a more heavily black neighborhood.
I never knew a community existed on Lawrenceville. I met an older black gentleman who was originally from Bloomfield. I though that was kind of odd. He explained that his family was there before the Italian immigrants arrived. Prior to that Bloomfield was a German hood. I never knew that either.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I never knew a community existed on Lawrenceville. I met an older black gentleman who was originally from Bloomfield. I though that was kind of odd. He explained that his family was there before the Italian immigrants arrived. Prior to that Bloomfield was a German hood. I never knew that either.
Here's some 1940 to 1970 comparisons

South Side Flats: 431 to 55
Central Lawrenceville: 228 to 0
Bloomfield: 459 to 52

Lower Lawrenceville had a fairly stable black community throughout this period.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:53 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,960,458 times
Quote:
Here's some 1940 to 1970 comparisons

South Side Flats: 431 to 55
Central Lawrenceville: 228 to 0
Bloomfield: 459 to 52

Lower Lawrenceville had a fairly stable black community throughout this period.
News to me. I was familiar with the Strip District shanty towns but unaware for Lawrenceville. During my younger years Lawrenceville was so far gone I had no connection to that place with the exception of an occasional get together at Arsenal Lanes.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:15 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,580,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Garfield, East Liberty, and Homewood I believe also have the typical white flight example such as Larimer.
My block and the blocks around me in East Liberty were mostly Jewish in the 40s-70s. There are lots of old synagogues around and there was a kosher deli in a shack store front that is now my back yard. As far as I know, many of those families moved to Sq Hill, Stanton Heights, or the suburbs in the 80s and 90s.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:56 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
My block and the blocks around me in East Liberty were mostly Jewish in the 40s-70s. There are lots of old synagogues around and there was a kosher deli in a shack store front that is now my back yard. As far as I know, many of those families moved to Sq Hill, Stanton Heights, or the suburbs in the 80s and 90s.
I do go to East Liberty occasionally and the amount of old synagogues in that area is pretty large. I take it none are still used in that purpose anymore?

Old 06-10-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I do go to East Liberty occasionally and the amount of old synagogues in that area is pretty large.
I'm wondering now that the Urban League is moving out of that old Synagogue on N Negley to Larimer what's going to happen with the building. IIRC it's a historic landmark, but it will be very hard to repurpose, and it's along a prime corridor.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:34 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
Quote:
I'm wondering now that the Urban League is moving out of that old Synagogue on N Negley to Larimer what's going to happen with the building. IIRC it's a historic landmark, but it will be very hard to repurpose, and it's along a prime corridor.
That building is a gem. Hopefully it is a historic landmark. Now there are two former synagogues - you mean the larger one with the dome?

Old 06-10-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Now there are two former synagogues - you mean the larger one with the dome?
Yes.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:55 AM

281 posts, read 340,805 times
There were also synagogues in the 700 and 800 blocks of North Negley. So that's four.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh