Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 02:39 PM

141 posts, read 721,963 times

Advertisements

I have lived here for about 5 yrs. I am in my early 30's, am a professional, WITH a husband in the restuarant business (the gateway to almost all drugs) and have only encountered a heroin user once. She was a waitress who left her pipe in the bathroom, and was fired on the spot.

I too question who you were hanging out with. It just doesn't seem plausible.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:55 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,961 times
Exclamation wow great article!

Well you sure told us.

Seriously though, thank you for posting that. When my daughter attended high school in Pitt, she found many of the kids to be "big" partiers. Quite frankly, that was one of the many reasons why we moved back to Scottsdale, AZ.

I don't "party" so I'm not privy to individuals like your friend, but I've seen stranger things happen so I guess anything is possible.

Personally, I think the worst thing anyone can do is IGNORE the problem. You can't fix it if you haven't identified it. Our high school in AZ had some of that going on and they hired a full time cop to patrol the grounds here too. And this is at a fancy schmancy school! So I suppose it can happen anywhere. Sorry I doubted you.

You've really opened my eyes, I'm totally shocked - once again.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:06 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,071,152 times
I think it's very circumstantial. My ex boyfriend moved to NYC last year and he almost fell over at how often he saw drugs being used so openly and unapologetically. He never saw heroin in his entire existence in Pittsburgh but made a joke cause he had it offered to him like three times in his first 48 hour of being in NYC.

I'm certainly not saying Pittsburgh doesn't have a problem (although I doubt it's any larger or smaller than any other city). Heroin itself has made a comeback due to the ability to cheaply manufacture it more so than ever before.

I don't think anyone is really ignoring the problem. However, I do find it incredibly hard to believe that an exorbitant amount of people are doing casual heroin in Pittsburgh cause there's no such thing. :P And I imagine I see and am surrounded by MANY more professionals and wealthy adults than you have been in your short time here NYSTYLE, and I personally have never seen a heroin problem whatsoever. So that was MY circumstance.

Maybe you found a niche community in Pittsburgh (style and fashion and modeling?) that is largely into drugs? I never said it wasn't possible. That population has a high tendency to abuse chemicals. Many make you thin.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:07 PM

160 posts, read 164,606 times
I agree with your post.........but to the others just read the articles and see. I am not into making stories up I always make sure I can prove myself.

Last edited by NYSTYLE; 02-22-2008 at 06:03 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 05:08 PM

Guylocke I know what your saying.........but, I had only asked since i was stunned and very hurt that my former boyfriend was involved.

the party was being held in the Southside Flats and many of the people who had attended the party were professionals I questioned if this was a serious issue. By no means was I putting down the town or the city. I was stunned and anyone would be in my position.

Last edited by NYSTYLE; 02-22-2008 at 06:07 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Guylocke I know what your saying.........but, I had only asked since i was stunned and very hurt that my fomer boyfriend was involved.
I understand what you're saying, too!! I'm not calling you a liar or that you haven't seen what you claim to have seen. I think the situation with your boyfriend is really tragic, I do. It hits close to home so you're hypersensitive to the facts, that's perfectly okay. I also want to make myself clear that I definitely believe there are doctors and physicians and lawyers that you see or know who are abusing drugs. Those type of people are often the most susceptible to drug abuse for several reasons. I wouldn't let it reflect the area as a whole, though. The entire Pittsburgh professional scene is pretty much made of health care providers and lawyers. So for every half a dozen you see or know that are doing drugs, I imagine there are about 1000 who aren't. Know what I mean?

I don't think you're a troll, BTW. lol!

Old 02-22-2008, 05:12 PM

it was a stunner to me to......Some of these people at the party where in finance or legal. One was a MD, PhD so it just goes to show.

I would never would have suspected this until I received the golden invite to Pittsburgh's It Club Clique. Not expecting this but something more fun and entertaining to say the least or Philanthropic.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
it was a stunner to me to......Some of these people at the party where in finance or legal. One was a MD, PhD so it just goes to show.
The part about them being doctors etc doesn't surprise me at all. All physicians and pharmacists have a huge potential for abusing drugs. Why do you think that is? Well, they have the money to buy it, they have easy access to it, they are very knowledgeable about the chemicals, they usually have high intelligence and pride which makes them think they can handle casual drug abuse, etc.

Drug abuse is SO prevalent in health care that a lot of times physicians or pharmacists aren't even fired on the spot when it's found out that they are abusing chemicals. A lot of places have a "strike" system and many other places will keep you employed as long as they have proof you are seeking treatment for your problem.

If every doctor or pharmacists had to be fired on the spot for being caught for using drugs, we'd have no doctors of pharmacists. No seriously, that's not a joke.

I certainly don't condone the actions!!!! But these are the facts And no I don't abuse drugs of ANY kind. haha.

Maybe THAT is what is shocking to you?

Old 02-22-2008, 05:55 PM

My posts where deleted regarding the stories about heroin use that is a major problem in pittsburgh. not sure if i am allowed to provide the link but. you can do a google search an see for yourself.

Last edited by NYSTYLE; 02-22-2008 at 06:17 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 06:23 PM

Heroin Addiction In Pittsburgh

Heroin deaths reopen wounds - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Lethal form of heroin takes steep toll here in Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - News Links* - Rampant drug trade is biggest obstacle to neighborhood growth

Heroin in Key Cities - Heroin in the Northeast: A Regional Drug Threat Assessment

Last edited by NYSTYLE; 02-22-2008 at 06:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh