Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 03:50 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
while they drape themselves in "real southsider" rhetoric.
What does this mean? I'm curious. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 04:14 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Basically the people that believe lines such as "my family has lived on the same block since 1905" somehow gives them a greater say in any neighborhood policy they disagree then anyone else.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:28 PM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
There's a substantial group of folks that will refuse to listen to any issues this has caused, or act coy about it, while they drape themselves in "real southsider" rhetoric. They won't even listen to ways to improve the parking system. For them, its just an extension of their god given right to a parking chair. They'll block literally anything over parking, new construction, restoration, they'll let buildings fall into disrepair, force business out, and basically stonewall anything and then blame Bruce Kraus for not magically making a giant parking garage appear to fix the problem they told you didn't exist two sentences before. Its really gross and frustrating to listen to. I truly hate these people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Basically the people that believe lines such as "my family has lived on the same block since 1905" somehow gives them a greater say in any neighborhood policy they disagree then anyone else.
I thought these people were called "yinzers", and we're supposed to love yinzers for being kitschy?

Old 10-25-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I thought these people were called "yinzers", and we're supposed to love yinzers for being kitschy?
I think the correct term is nimby.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:13 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
I think the correct term is nimby.
Exactly.

Many that use the term yinzer don't even know they're a yinzer.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:36 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,086 times
Go STEELERS!!!

Old 10-26-2016, 08:01 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
It could not open due to the Penguins new jumbotron. The mechanics still worked.
Yep, but they use the old playbook that people in the real estate business know too well. The old falling apart, not worth fixing bs. It didn't need fixing, but that makes the tear down easier for the powerful folks that spew their nonsense. Funny how the same people that are clueless about real estate deals fall for it over and over again, but they seem to never learn much. It is what it is. Hope they put up a Walmart in that space.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:30 AM

I don't think anyone would care about the old civic arena except that
A. PPG Arena is such a generic, uninspired boring building that's arguably in some ways a downgrade from the old building.
B. The slower then a snails pace of any signs of development for the old arena site. It's an eyesore 6 years in the making.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:32 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone would care about the old civic arena except that
A. PPG Arena is such a generic, uninspired boring building that's arguably in some ways a downgrade from the old building.
B. The slower then a snails pace of any signs of development for the old arena site. It's an eyesore 6 years in the making.
I think Duquesne University bought almost an entire block....it will house students. So I think the ball may be rolling for an improvement there (snack shops, etc.).

The city needs RETAIL, though!

Old 10-26-2016, 11:19 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Yep, but they use the old playbook that people in the real estate business know too well. The old falling apart, not worth fixing bs. It didn't need fixing, but that makes the tear down easier for the powerful folks that spew their nonsense. Funny how the same people that are clueless about real estate deals fall for it over and over again, but they seem to never learn much. It is what it is. Hope they put up a Walmart in that space.
Lol.

It was long past it's prime and most nobody could care less to visit it unless they were going for an event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh