Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 11:57 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times

Advertisements

I know that not all DT supporters were racists. Just like I know all racists were DT supporters.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:58 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I know that not all DT supporters were racists. Just like I know all racists were DT supporters.
Again, false.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:01 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Where can I find the stats on how many undocumented immigrants we have in Pittsburgh?
Illegal immigrants. They're illegal.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:15 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Those were people who came here legally

Ellis Island History - The Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island
Many Europeans who came to the U.S. in the early 20th Century did not come here legally.

Quote:
As laws were passed to keep out Asians and Eastern and Southern Europeans, immigrants from those countries—as well as others who could not pass literacy tests, pay the head tax, or enter through the quota system—began to enter outside of the legal system. In 1925, the Immigration Service reported 1.4 million immigrants living in the country illegally. A June 17, 1923, New York Times article reported that W. H. Husband, Commissioner General of Immigration, had been trying for two years “to stem the flow of immigrants from central and southern Europe, Africa and Asia that has been leaking across the borders of Mexico and Canada and through the ports of the east and west coasts.” A September 16, 1927, New York Times article describes government plans for stepped-up Coast Guard patrols because thousands of Chinese, Japanese, Greeks, Russians, and Italians were landing in Cuba and then hiring smugglers to take them to the United States. Many immigrants were also violating the laws of their home countries, which required them to get permission to migrate, complete military service, or pay off debts prior to leaving.
https://www.americanimmigrationcounc...-a-new-reality

Old 12-02-2016, 12:19 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Illegal immigrants. They're illegal.
Undocumented. Most undocumented immigrants enter this country legally, and simply stay beyond the length of their visa. When someone drives after their drivers license expires, we call them "unlicensed drivers", not illegal drivers.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Undocumented. Most undocumented immigrants enter this country legally, and simply stay beyond the length of their visa. When someone drives after their drivers license expires, we call them "unlicensed drivers", not illegal drivers.
Except the drivers are driving illegally and the immigrants are still here illegally.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:33 PM

Here's an interesting tidbit from the Annual Report of the Commissioner General of Immigration to Congress in 1925. Even way back then, the U.S. had a problem with people illegally crossing the Mexican border, only it was Europeans rather than Mexican nationals.

Quote:
The aliens to this country for the most part are inadmissible to this country and highly undesirable as residents. Among them are anarchists, criminals, and radicals who have been unable to secure visas from American consuls in Europe to enable them to secure steamship passage.
Quote:
The full significance of this condition will be realized when it is considered that figures predicated on the last census indicate a total alien population at this time of roughly 7,000,000; and the possible conclusion is that some question as to lawful residence might be raised in respect to 20 percent of this number, or about 1,400,000.
Quote:
The illegal entry of aliens from Canada, in common with all land and sea boundaries, has increased with the advent of more restrictive laws. This is true to some extent of the Canadians themselves, but it is especially true of Europeans, who in increasing numbers appear to be seeking entry to Canada with the real purpose of getting themselves into a more advantageous position for entry under the quota law, or of evading that and other laws altogether.
https://books.google.com/books?id=7o...llegal&f=false

Old 12-02-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I also don't know what it is about so-called "progressives" wanting some huge immigrant population. Maybe they just want to eat at their restaurants or it is a visual thing, so they can tell each other, look how diverse Pittsburgh is now as they are sipping a cafe latte at their favorite coffee shop filled with white people. Tis pretty darn funny though.
Pittsburgh can take in all of the undocumented immigrants from Ireland.

Quote:
“The issue of Irish undocumented has always been a concern, and I think in the light of [Trump's victory] it will continue to be," Ireland's European affairs minister, Dara Murphy, said earlier this week.

He went on: "We have very strong relationships with Irish American politicians in particular, and we will stress the point that these people (illegal Irish immigrants) have made their homes in America and are in many ways American. They want to stay there and contribute to their country and their way of life."

The status of these undocumented Irish workers is an emotive issue at home. Skype phone calls and video conferences for funerals, weddings and other family events are now a familiar phenomenon in parts of Ireland, with relatives in the United States unable to leave out of fear of being barred re-entry.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.cfd217bb3d2d

Old 12-02-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Pittsburgh can take in all of the undocumented immigrants from Ireland.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.cfd217bb3d2d
Now that sounds great and extremely positive.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:12 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
A lot of Europeans came here illegally in the 20th Century. Since "the law is the law," we need to do some investigation and revoke the citizenship of their progeny. If you have a surname like Kowalski or Rossi, you might want to watch out.
Most of my family came from Switzerland and the German-speaking region in colonial times or shortly after the American revolution. The last big branch came over from Vojvodina (today an autonomous province in the north of Serbia - at the time they left, part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire) in the years preceding WW1. They came legally - I've seen their names in the record books passing through Ellis Island.

My great-great-grandfather went back to Yugoslavia. On an attempted return to the US, he was denied entry to the US. He spent the rest of his life in Yugoslavia, while the rest of his family stayed here. Two of his sons saw combat in the US military in WWII.

I've been back to Serbia. I stood at his grave in my ancestors' village. And even though I'm of Serbian blood - I still had to go through legal channels to prove I qualified under the law for citizenship in the Republic of Serbia. I didn't just show up and say "I like it here, let me stay" or "I'm a Serb too, I'm entitled to come in and stay as long as I want"... nope - had to submit all sorts of records to the government for review. But I did it.

Just as we did everything legally for my ex-wife's immigration. And for my son's Russian citizenship - which was oodles of fun since they required my signature in person at the consulate in NYC. We drove from Pgh to NYC for me to sign one piece of paper. Because we follow the law. So excuse me for not having much sympathy for those who don't...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh