Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:53 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
One can only hope. It is ridiculous that there is a delay, but there are always some folks with their hands out that are looking to cash in. Similar reason the Civic Arena sight is still a parking lot. Progress is painfully slow in our region. Wish they would be more like NYC around here and let progress happen naturally.
The fight isn't really about Whole Foods - it's about affordable housing. And the park to a limited extent, but that's just stupid NIMBYism. If LG either upped the kitty towards new units of affordable housing or made their new development mixed-income, ELDI would drop its opposition and Whole Foods would still move in. If Whole Foods pulls out, it will be because LG Realty scraps the plan entirely for something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 06:53 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Aside from the obvious issue of displacement, can someone help me understand if there are other underlying issues here? I recall reading somewhere, maybe here, that the developer doesn't have ties to the city administration the way Walnut Capital and the like do. I have also heard, but can't verify, there is a contingent of NIMBYs opposed to the reconnecting of a street to keep their somewhat private access to a city park. Either way, there seems to be more here than meets the eye, and some of the real interests may be hiding behind the veil of benevolence.

On a related note, it looks like the attorney fighting the city on the Penn Plaza development is the same attorney that is fighting the city on the black & gold sign on Mt. Washington, Jonathan Kamin.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Aside from the obvious issue of displacement, can someone help me understand if there are other underlying issues here? I recall reading somewhere, maybe here, that the developer doesn't have ties to the city administration the way Walnut Capital and the like do. I have also heard, but can't verify, there is a contingent of NIMBYs opposed to the reconnecting of a street to keep their somewhat private access to a city park. Either way, there seems to be more here than meets the eye, and some of the real interests may be hiding behind the veil of benevolence.

On a related note, it looks like the attorney fighting the city on the Penn Plaza development is the same attorney that is fighting the city on the black & gold sign on Mt. Washington, Jonathan Kamin.
I mentioned this above, but there are basically two different groups involved.

ELDI is generally pro-development (since it's actually run by the local businesses), but LG Realty has worked really hard to **** off the community. The developers have of course engaged in the first mass evictions in East Liberty since the towers came down a decade ago. They also accepted very little community dialog and purposefully scheduled their public meetings at the last minute, with no handouts, in an attempt to railroad the development through. The money set aside to fund affordable housing is nowhere near enough to make up for the units lost. And now rather than retool their proposal, LG Realty is litigating it. I think ELDI would be opposed regardless (I talked to a staffer there a few years back who was really terrified about their plans) but even if they weren't they'd need to oppose such a bad actor in order to retain community credibility.

The other group is the "Friends of Enright Parklet" who, as far as I can determine, are a few NIMBYs who live on nearby streets like Amber and S Saint Clair and wish to use the park as an excuse to stop any development which impacts them. They've variously opposed designs which allow for street continuity again, modify the orientation of the park, and require mature trees to be cut down. I think they're bad actors, but I think if ELDI is won over, their opposition can be dealt with.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:51 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Aren't NIMBY's also the reason why the Garden Theater block in the Mexican War Streets still looks like a third-world country? NIMBY's in this city are out of control.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:51 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The fight isn't really about Whole Foods - it's about affordable housing.
I know that was my point. It is killing growth. That Civic Arena sight is in the same boat. Just a big empty parking lot. Just build and grow. Pittsburgh needs higher end development to offset that massive amount of poverty dragging our city down. It takes money to build infrastructure and better schools, not catering to those that can't help the city. I hate to sound harsh, but with a city falling apart and a school system that ranks as one of the lowest in the state, we need growth. East Liberty is important. It will never be as great as it once was, but it can still be nice.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Aren't NIMBY's also the reason why the Garden Theater block in the Mexican War Streets still looks like a third-world country? NIMBY's in this city are out of control.
In that case it's not even NIMBYs. It's a NIMBY in singular. The project was supported by all of the community groups, but two property owners on nearby streets blocked it. One of them dropped out. The last guy litigating the issue isn't even a Pittsburgh resident - he lives in NYC most of the time, but owns a house on Boyle Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I know that was my point. It is killing growth. That Civic Arena sight is in the same boat. Just a big empty parking lot. Just build and grow. Pittsburgh needs higher end development to offset that massive amount of poverty dragging our city down. It takes money to build infrastructure and better schools, not catering to those that can't help the city. I hate to sound harsh, but with a city falling apart and a school system that ranks as one of the lowest in the state, we need growth. East Liberty is important. It will never be as great as it once was, but it can still be nice.
Again, ELDI is not anti market-rate development. They allowed the new Walnut Capital projects to go through, along with Eastside Bond. They're general MO is to allow for new market rate development to go in, but to replace old affordable units with new ones if the buildings in question need to be scrapped. You can see this process going on right now - they moved the East Liberty Gardens residents into the new apartments on East Liberty Boulevard (which are half in East Liberty, half in Larimer) and now they're going to knock down East Liberty Gardens and build new mixed-income there, moving people from some other affordable units.

The problem is LG wouldn't get with the program. ELDI would have agreed to 200 more market rate units there if they were within a mixed-income development, or if land was set aside for a new development which would replace the lost apartments at Penn Plaza. There was no serious attempt to make this happen on the part of LG however.

Last edited by eschaton; 02-23-2017 at 09:12 AM..

Old 02-23-2017, 09:11 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
For me East Liberty has been the only neighborhood that has truly gone from 'don't go there' to 'you can't afford to live there' in the time since I moved here.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:05 AM

969 posts, read 772,246 times
NIMBYs hard at work:

https://www.facebook.com/SaveEnrightParklet/

https://www.facebook.com/BuildPennSquare/

Their tactic seems to involve actively talking down East Liberty to discourage any investment.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:48 AM

172 posts, read 333,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
ELDI is not anti market-rate development. They allowed the new Walnut Capital projects to go through, along with Eastside Bond ...

The problem is LG wouldn't get with the program. ELDI would have agreed to 200 more market rate units there if they were within a mixed-income development, or if land was set aside for a new development which would replace the lost apartments at Penn Plaza. There was no serious attempt to make this happen on the part of LG however.

This is a fair summary of what's going on in East Liberty. I think what irks me - hence my emphasis in bold - is the notion that a developer who owns land, and who wants to develop it in a manner that is completely permissible under current ordinances and zoning regulations, has to "get with the program" by doing a bunch of extra stuff that the City and ELDI both want for political reasons, before it will be "allowed" to develop the land.

I'm all for affordable housing. But I think that developers should be allowed to be insensitive jerks, as long as they follow the law. And as far as I can tell, LG has followed the law.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:09 AM

969 posts, read 772,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Magarac View Post
This is a fair summary of what's going on in East Liberty. I think what irks me - hence my emphasis in bold - is the notion that a developer who owns land, and who wants to develop it in a manner that is completely permissible under current ordinances and zoning regulations, has to "get with the program" by doing a bunch of extra stuff that the City and ELDI both want for political reasons, before it will be "allowed" to develop the land.

I'm all for affordable housing. But I think that developers should be allowed to be insensitive jerks, as long as they follow the law. And as far as I can tell, LG has followed the law.
I feel the same way. If ELDI and the City were really concerned they should have already added affordable housing covenants into City regulations. Now they are using questionable tactics to persuade a developer and it's a mess. I'm a fan of this administration, but they dropped the ball by not getting ahead of the issue.

From LGs perspective, the city and NIMBYs are just taking and taking. Why would they offer any more concessions when the good will isn't there on the other side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh