Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Probably a good idea to cut it. It is pretty lousy service for sure. Buses are cheaper and way shorter and flying is much faster. I wanted to take trains out of Pittsburgh a few times, but they suck out of here anyway. Just cut them already.
I did a quick price quote for roundtrip, nonstop flights from PIT to MDW and ORD at the end of April and the pricing was in the $320-400 range. NYC is even more expensive than that. Same time period for PIT to CHI via Amtrak and it was $171 round trip, and that is a non-discounted fare. Flying will always be faster but you pay for it. I just wish there was more than one departure time a day to choose from for the PIT-CHI route and PIT-NYC. If you have to be in Chicago for 9AM Monday morning business meeting and can't leave until Sunday afternoon, yeah you gotta fly. Megabus and Greyhound will also be cheaper, but I'd rather take Amtrak or fly.

Anyway, the budget is just a wishlist for the President. Its up to Congress to fund these things so I think most of these Amtrak routes will stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 09:21 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,947 times
Air travel is such a hassle these days, and I wish there was more train service for those routes less than 500 miles, where it makes the most sense. The flight from here to New York is only an hour, but add the trip to the airport, time getting through security, getting to the gate early enough, boarding, flight, landing and waiting to get off the plane, through the terminal and into New York from the airport, it becomes at least a four-hour chore (if you're lucky). If there is a wait to land or you're stuck on the runway in New York waiting for a slot, it can drag to a five-hour torture. You can drive to New York in six.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:41 PM

814 posts, read 1,149,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
The reason the eastern PA stations have more passengers is because Amtrak owns the track between Harrisburg and Philadelphia and they run 15 trains a day between the cities (including Lancaster). West of Harrisburg, Amtrak has to share tracks with the freight railroads that own the tracks and they only run a couple trains a day. If we had 15 trains a day to Philadelphia and Chicago, ridership would be a lot higher.
I know many people who want to get to NY from western PA will drive to Harrisburg and then take the train from there because of how frequent and relatively quick it is. IIRC you can park for free at the Harrisburg transit center and it saves a great amount of effort/tolls/the pain of parking in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh