Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 07:17 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
1. SCR is def not below-average intelligence. He should read about the Dunning-Krueger effect. His recognizing that he doesn't know everything, actually means he knows a lot. To take it old school...as Confucius said..."Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"
The older I get, and the more I learn, the more inadequate I feel because I'll never learn enough to be more than a dilettante in most of the subjects I'm interested in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 09:54 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Local site ideas?

CITY: Lower Hill District? Hazelwood Green? Strip District? Supertall tower Downtown?

^ I'm going to pull for the Lower Hill District due to its centralized location for transit.

Hazelwood Green would get my vote IF they could figure out how to improve the transportation infrastructure nearby. The Hot Metal Bridge, Second Avenue, and Bates Street areas are already congested at rush-hour. Carrying thousands of more vehicles daily seems impossible. Is it possible to build a new bridge across the Monongahela River at Becks Run Road (by Paige's?)

SUBURBS: Airport Area? Century III? Pittsburgh Mills?

^ Out of those suburban options the airport would be the only realistic contender logistically, but I see the peanut gallery on local news outlet social media articles related to Amazon always suggesting the latter two sites for some reason, so I was wondering if either would be a good idea?

Old 01-24-2018, 10:25 AM

233 posts, read 137,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Local site ideas?

Hazelwood Green would get my vote IF they could figure out how to improve the transportation infrastructure nearby. The Hot Metal Bridge, Second Avenue, and Bates Street areas are already congested at rush-hour. Carrying thousands of more vehicles daily seems impossible. Is it possible to build a new bridge across the Monongahela River at Becks Run Road (by Paige's?)
I've tenants who just graduated from Boston and is coming to Pittsburgh to work in a robotic lab on 2nd ave where cmu lab is close by. That seems to be perfect area for all the high tech company. btw, newly graduated tenant is making more money than i do on my full time job if i dont count my rental incomes, and i've been working for 10 years already.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:47 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,396,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Local site ideas?

CITY: Lower Hill District? Hazelwood Green? Strip District? Supertall tower Downtown?

^ I'm going to pull for the Lower Hill District due to its centralized location for transit.

SUBURBS: Airport Area? Century III? Pittsburgh Mills?

^ Out of those suburban options the airport would be the only realistic contender logistically, but I see the peanut gallery on local news outlet social media articles related to Amazon always suggesting the latter two sites for some reason, so I was wondering if either would be a good idea?
If I remember correctly Jeff bezos has a feud with Ron burkle over Barnes and Noble so that may have an impact on the use of the arena site since burkle's company would be the developer. If it goes to a suburban location, there is a second phase of south point in the works and there is the giant tract of land by the airport that Chevron was going to build a headquarters and never did. I personally think if it comes here it will be a combination of city and suburban locations.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:05 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,414,326 times
For all we know, the majority of the HQ2 jobs will be customer service and that doesn't require a higher degree with years of experience.

Also if its anything like the Seattle HQ, there will be multiple locations in the area that will feature Amazon offices. I don't know if it will mean just Allegheny County suburbs or if they would build in Cranberry, Murrysville, Canonsburg, etc. If the ybuild locations out that way you can attract different workers and people with different commutes. . I don't think they build one giant campus in the City an we have to worry about city real estate and commutes and up to 50,000 workers descending on one location every day, but who knows?

Old 01-24-2018, 12:16 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
On the positive side, Amazon choosing Pittsburgh would be the catalyst for expanding light rail here, in my opinion.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:26 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,902,171 times
Quote:
Pennsylvania's Office of Open Records (OOR) has ruled that Pittsburgh's proposal for Amazon's second headquarters, Amazon HQ2, is a public record.
State rules Pittsburgh's Amazon proposal is a public record

Looks like this could get interesting...

Old 01-24-2018, 02:36 PM

994 posts, read 901,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
On the positive side, Amazon choosing Pittsburgh would be the catalyst for expanding light rail here, in my opinion.
I wish that were true, but I doubt it. Too many people believe that BRT and self driving vehicles is the superior mode of transportation.

I think that NOT having a decent light rail system to the most densely populated areas of Pittsburgh could be the single largest factor the causes Pittsburgh to be eliminated from consideration. We chose to extend to the stadiums because that's what the Steelers wanted, and dropped the far more worthy east end extension proposal. Unbelievable.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:02 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
I wish that were true, but I doubt it. Too many people believe that BRT and self driving vehicles is the superior mode of transportation.

I think that NOT having a decent light rail system to the most densely populated areas of Pittsburgh could be the single largest factor the causes Pittsburgh to be eliminated from consideration. We chose to extend to the stadiums because that's what the Steelers wanted, and dropped the far more worthy east end extension proposal. Unbelievable.
When was the last viable East End T line extension proposed?

Old 01-24-2018, 03:25 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,886,191 times
Meanwhile in China....

Chinese workers build railway in nine hours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh