Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 07:38 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,440 times

Advertisements

My guess is that the show's producers encourage guests to say things that are controversial and will create buzz after the show airs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 07:42 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
My guess is that the show's producers encourage guests to say things that are controversial and will create buzz after the show airs.
I would agree and I also think that they are at the point of slicing (or inventing) every metric of every city in an attempt to keep talking about this.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:52 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,968,698 times
The Amazon HQ2 talk around the country is starting to get tiresome, and they probably won't make the announcement until November. We still have months of speculation and talk-show/geek articles to go. They may narrow it down to five cities before then, but who knows?

No city will have everything on Amazon's wish-list, so it will be interesting to see which city makes the cut. We certainly have our advantages, but we also have our liabilities, and I think every city does.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:52 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
I would say that is protocol for all news sources these days including mainstream so-called neutral style news. "It is all about money ain't a damn thing funny." (you gotta be pretty old to remember that song.)

Old 03-22-2018, 07:55 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,313,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I would rank Pittsburgh VERY high when it comes to great housing stock. I think it is amazing.

There is remuddling of course, but it is usually in the okay neighborhoods more, not the top ranking neighborhoods. Pittsburgh is incredible for its size as far as architecture.

I am sure you can find nice areas in Philly if you look past all the razor wire and chainlink fences.
We have a lot of older houses - some of which have been poorly renovated. Plenty of newer cities have very few older houses and you are stuck with new. You have your choice of new, old and outdated, out and nicely renovated, old and poorly renovated, and anything else here. And all of that comes at bargain prices compared to most of the nation.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:00 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
We have a lot of older houses - some of which have been poorly renovated. Plenty of newer cities have very few older houses and you are stuck with new. You have your choice of new, old and outdated, out and nicely renovated, old and poorly renovated, and anything else here. And all of that comes at bargain prices compared to most of the nation.
Doesn't get much older than Philly. Our nations first capital.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:07 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,313,918 times
Quote:
Doesn't get much older than Philly. Our nations first capital.
Yeah definitely but the claim about Pittsburgh's poor housing options is still ridiculous IMO. I'd make that kind of comment about newly developed cities with nothing but McMansions.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:11 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
There is remuddling of course, but it is usually in the okay neighborhoods more, not the top ranking neighborhoods. Pittsburgh is incredible for its size as far as architecture.
Yeah, I've noticed that remuddling tends to be worse when people had a little bit of money than if they had none at all. The people who were dirt poor couldn't afford to "modernize" their homes in the mid 20th century, thus as long as they kept up with the bare minimum of preventive maintenance the homes can be restored. While their "richer" neighbors basically ripped everything of interest out of their homes, inside and out.

The other place it's bad is anywhere that houses were chopped into rentals, where it's clear at some point the landlords just stopped giving a crap and did whatever was cheapest. I'm sure that's why so many grand homes in East Liberty/Friendship now have no porches. The porch roofs started rotting off due to lack of maintenance, and it was easier to rip them down than to pay money fixing them.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:16 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

The other place it's bad is anywhere that houses were chopped into rentals, where it's clear at some point the landlords just stopped giving a crap and did whatever was cheapest. I'm sure that's why so many grand homes in East Liberty/Friendship now have no porches. The porch roofs started rotting off due to lack of maintenance, and it was easier to rip them down than to pay money fixing them.

Converting single family dwellings into multi-family rentals kills an area like nothing else. Just take a look at Bellevue. I do believe years ago they passed an ordinance prohibiting further conversion.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:20 PM

377 posts, read 667,494 times
Quote:
Another think about this comparison is we don't really have much housing in that price range. Pittsburgh is cheaper than Philly just due to the locations, so you would have to look at $2million homes or whatever.

Anyway it is kind of silly, but it got us talking about housing I guess.
Actually a more realistic comparison is overall COL, not just housing costs. Currently it costs 21.2% more to live in Philadelphia than Pittsburgh. An acknowledged reputable source for this information is:
https://www.bankrate.com/calculators...alculator.aspx

BTW, most housing costs ARE directly related to Location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh