Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 10:46 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
About Boston, remember that besides being expensive its also pretty far east. Flights to Seattle are 6.5 hours which is pretty brutal.
And compared to Seattle, places like Chicago, Austin, and Detroit are east. Not east coast, but still east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This has come up in other topics (like the Google presence in Pittsburgh)--you seem to find it laughable or unusual that in a Pittsburgh-specific forum, Pittsburgh residents are discussing the pros and cons of a news item/business proposition that could affect Pittsburgh. Yeah, lots of other cities have been discussed, too, but we're discussing Pittsburgh here because this isn't the Denver or the Minneapolis or where ever forum.
When did I ever say it was laughable for Pittsburgh? I haven't tossed my hat in the ring for any site. What is laughable, since you used the word, is that Pittsburgh is considered more "cool" than most of the other cities under consideration, or that Pittsburgh alone has mass transit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
The rate things are going, if someone starts a thread about Halloween decorations in October, we'll hear all about how other cities have jack o lanterns too.

OTOH people have to stop taking the bait.
I'm not baiting anyone. I'm being baited, thank you very much! Snide crap like "Wait, your brother has lived here since the 1870s? Wow." isn't bait? Or how about "Of course given that you seem to be following 25 threads on the topic, you might be confusing us with someone else." The good us "us" vs "you" thing again. Stay classy, you guys!

Quote:
About Boston, remember that besides being expensive its also pretty far east. Flights to Seattle are 6.5 hours which is pretty brutal.
And what is it from Pittsburgh to Seattle? NO nonstops, minimum 6 hr, 40 min, and that is two flights. Most are far longer.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...rgh+to+seattle

Old 09-13-2017, 11:13 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,146,328 times
Moving on...

Old 09-13-2017, 11:17 AM

4,363 posts, read 6,538,136 times
Best bet is to "Give" Amazon the US Steel Tower building. Slap their name up on it and be done with it. Having the "T" in the lower level will give them a false sense of security where Mass Transit is concerned.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:55 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,778,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post

And what is it from Pittsburgh to Seattle? NO nonstops, minimum 6 hr, 40 min, and that is two flights. Most are far longer.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...rgh+to+seattle
Well I wasn't even comparing it to Pgh, so I don't know whay you reacted that way. I guess a built in bias to downplay Pittsburgh as an option. I was saying that in general it would be brutal flights. But the reality is that if they were to pick Pgh, it would certainly get nonstop flights, and they would take around an hour or 1:15 less than Boston. Not a huge difference but certainly better.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Well I wasn't even comparing it to Pgh, so I don't know whay you reacted that way. I guess a built in bias to downplay Pittsburgh as an option. I was saying that in general it would be brutal flights. But the reality is that if they were to pick Pgh, it would certainly get nonstop flights, and they would take around an hour or 1:15 less than Boston. Not a huge difference but certainly better.
No, that wasn't the reason, not that you, fleetiebelle, Joe, or Rogers Park Transplant will believe that. It doesn't make any sense to say ,"OMG, it's a 6.5 hr flight from Boston", without looking at what it would be from Pittsburgh. Considering that some flight time is taken up with take-off and landing, I'd guess it would be about an hour shorter non-stop from Pittsburgh. Whether that's enough to make a difference is debatable.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:23 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,778,250 times
Quote:
No, that wasn't the reason, not that you, fleetiebelle, Joe, or Rogers Park Transplant will believe that. It doesn't make any sense to say ,"OMG, it's a 6.5 hr flight from Boston", without looking at what it would be from Pittsburgh. Considering that some flight time is taken up with take-off and landing, I'd guess it would be about an hour shorter non-stop from Pittsburgh. Whether that's enough to make a difference is debatable.
Ok, well again you missed the point - I wasn't making any comparison to flights from Pittsburgh when I wrote that. YOU brought that up. It certainly makes sense to say many would not be happy with 6.5 hour flights, I have no idea why you think that doesn't make sense. Maybe just a snide remark

Old 09-13-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Ok, well again you missed the point - I wasn't making any comparison to flights from Pittsburgh when I wrote that. YOU brought that up. It certainly makes sense to say many would not be happy with 6.5 hour flights, I have no idea why you think that doesn't make sense. Maybe just a snide remark
I would think that if flight time from Boston to Seattle is important, that flight time from any of the possible locations to Seattle would be important. Why would it be important just for Boston? Nonstop Atlanta to Seattle is about 5 hr, 20 min. I use Atlanta because it seems to be a big contender. Now frankly, I'm not sure why it's that important. I suppose it depends on how much travel is expected between the two. It's possible they could simply be fairly autonomous, in which case it wouldn't matter at all.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...nta+to+seattle

Old 09-13-2017, 12:56 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,146,328 times
Again let's move on.

Thanks.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:01 PM

716 posts, read 766,732 times
Quote:
The tone of this thread is that Pittsburgh is the primo choice for the Amazon HQ.
Is it? I feel like we're just discussing pros and cons using their wishlist as a metric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh