Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 07:18 AM

716 posts, read 766,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
That's actually a silly criticism. If Amazon would choose the area, every airline operating out of PIT would scramble to offer a direct Seattle flight.
Absolutely. And honestly it's about time that Alaska Airlines make an attempt to enter this market anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 07:27 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,838 times
Such melodrama. Corporate HQ brings with it programmers, yes. It also brings executive secretaries, qa, tech support, tech writers, marketers, business analysts, a whole bunch of job types, for a whole lot of college majors. The high paid people working overtime don't have time for their own lawnmowing, or want a house addition and can afford to pay for it, there's jobs for manual labor as well. It's not like there are middle-class-only jobs beating the door down and it's not like we don't produce a lot of college graduates looking for work, better if they stick around.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:55 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,284,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Such melodrama. Corporate HQ brings with it programmers, yes. It also brings executive secretaries, qa, tech support, tech writers, marketers, business analysts, a whole bunch of job types, for a whole lot of college majors. The high paid people working overtime don't have time for their own lawnmowing, or want a house addition and can afford to pay for it, there's jobs for manual labor as well. It's not like there are middle-class-only jobs beating the door down and it's not like we don't produce a lot of college graduates looking for work, better if they stick around.
i agree. amazon doesn't want carlow graduates though. their whole "give back to the community" angle of this search is fan service. this is a business decisions as much as anything.

i still don't understand how a company that contributes infinitely to landfill waste can be considered green and progressive. can anyone answer that?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:31 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
i still don't understand how a company that contributes infinitely to landfill waste can be considered green and progressive. can anyone answer that?
Again, who in this thread claimed Amazon is progressive? I keep seeing people repeatedly attacking this idea, but not actually in response to anything I can see.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:26 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,961,359 times
1 Billion dollar investment planned for Pittsburgh International Airport. Construction is set to begin in 2019 with a 2023 completion date. No local tax dollars will be used??? HMMMMMMM

$1.1B project poised for takeoff at Pittsburgh International Airport | TribLIVE

Old 09-12-2017, 10:45 AM

994 posts, read 901,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
1 Billion dollar investment planned for Pittsburgh International Airport. Construction is set to begin in 2019 with a 2023 completion date. No local tax dollars will be used??? HMMMMMMM

Seems to me like a billion dollars could be better invested elsewhere. The airport is too large, and needs downsized, yet they plan to put in over a billion when hundreds of millions are still owed?

Old 09-12-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Again, who in this thread claimed Amazon is progressive? I keep seeing people repeatedly attacking this idea, but not actually in response to anything I can see.
i guess their desire of a walkable, convenient area for their headquarters is just virtue signalling for prospective employees then...

Old 09-12-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Seems to me like a billion dollars could be better invested elsewhere. The airport is too large, and needs downsized, yet they plan to put in over a billion when hundreds of millions are still owed?
they must know something we don't know...

Old 09-12-2017, 10:53 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post

WOW, that's a pretty massive investment for a 25 year old airport (which I do find aesthetically unpleasing though). How will they get $1 billion without using any tax money?

Old 09-12-2017, 11:00 AM

994 posts, read 901,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
they must know something we don't know...
This would almost have to be the case, because it makes no sense otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh