Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 10:02 AM

94 posts, read 78,955 times

Advertisements

According to Lonely Planet and Time Magazine, Lawrenceville and East Liberty are the top two neighborhood's in America. These lists are so subjective. I don't even think that they are the top neighborhood's in Pittsburgh. South Side, Shayside, and Squirrek Hill are better in my opinion. I am not oblivious to what has been going on in East Liberty. Still, the Penn Avenue business district leaves a lot to be desired. These are my opinions, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 10:19 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Travel: These Are the 10 Coolest Neighborhoods Right Now | Money

Old 10-07-2017, 10:27 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,458,529 times
squirrel hill is very nice but its about as far from cool as i am.

its subjective, central north side and bloomfield would top my list in pittsburgh.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:59 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,059,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
squirrel hill is very nice but its about as far from cool as i am.

its subjective, central north side and bloomfield would top my list in pittsburgh.
i think Squirrel Hill is definitely "cool", to a certain aged crowd centered on their high school years, though. It is the center of their world. For the working individual, it still can't rank too badly!

I think its a great neighborhood overall, but i do not like Squirrel HIll too much because it seems so crowded wherever you go!

Old 10-07-2017, 01:19 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,461,515 times
The article used a set of criteria that will vary from person to person of what constitutes "cool"

there is no denying that lawrenceville has been the shining star example of coolness over the past 5 ( some may argue 10) years for Pittsburgh. Kind of a rags to riches story of a neighborhood if there ever has been so.

I find them lumping in E lib to be a bit strange. its a very different vibe and they are not continuous to each other. Lawrenceville and Bloomfield perhaps. Lawrenceville/strip district? those would make more sense.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:19 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,041,015 times
They got Lawrenceville right. East Liberty is dreadful. It reminds me of those parts of Europe that were bombed out and rebuilt after the war. My personal favorites are downtown, Strip, SS, Allegheny West, Deutschtown, West End Village, Mount Washington, Bloomfield / Lawrenceville, Troy Hill. I also think Oakland is very underrated. I like the urban core neighborhoods. Outside of the city, I like Millvale, Sharpsburg, and all of the county seats surrounding Pittsburgh, especially Kittanning, Uniontown, and Greensburg.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 10-07-2017 at 01:36 PM..

Old 10-07-2017, 03:21 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,920,320 times
Ace Hotel is the ace in the hole for East Liberty being included. I would assumed they lumped them together because of not wanting to miss the chance to mention it. Kelly’s is a perennial cool spot, and hopefully always is. That being said, East Liberty alone is not enough to take the top spot. However, a most interesting mix of people hang out at Ace and Kelly’s and there are always great conversations to be had with the people you share a bar with there.

I wouldn’t say East Liberty is dreadful, but I do agree with the European vibe. Not particularly the look of it, but the feel. After 11 pm if you are walking from say Ace to Kelly’s it definitely reminds me of the vibes in parts of Budapest late at night.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:22 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,902,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
East Liberty is dreadful. It reminds me of those parts of Europe that were bombed out and rebuilt after the war.
Berlin is fun!

But I agree with your disdainful attitude regarding East Liberty. I don't understand the hype.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:33 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,600,297 times
OK, you all know I don't live over there, so take this with a grain of salt -- but if I had to identify any part of the East End as "cool" aside from Lawrenceville, it would be some sort of Point Breeze/Regent Square area rather than Squirrel Hill. I'm thinking of little places like Make Your Mark, Frick Park Market, and Biddle's Escape, as well as the East End Food Co-op.

Polish Hill is probably cooler than Squirrel Hill too, and less yuppie than East Liberty.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:39 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
They got Lawrenceville right. East Liberty is dreadful. It reminds me of those parts of Europe that were bombed out and rebuilt after the war. My personal favorites are downtown, Strip, SS, Allegheny West, Deutschtown, West End Village, Mount Washington, Bloomfield / Lawrenceville, Troy Hill. I also think Oakland is very underrated. I like the urban core neighborhoods. Outside of the city, I like Millvale, Sharpsburg, and all of the county seats surrounding Pittsburgh, especially Kittanning, Uniontown, and Greensburg.
Crafton, Woods Run, McKeesport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh