Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 11:12 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
I say this thread has been "Jacked", what say y'all?....

Yeah -- but it's far more interesting to read well thought out civil discussions on why the housing is what it is than the typical I want to move here -- is it safe discussions I see on the SF board.....

Old 04-24-2008, 01:04 PM

29 posts, read 89,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am a nurse. And you?
Behavioral Psychology. I just haven't heard people say "evidence-based practice" in normal conversation and so I was curious. I have enjoyed reading your posts in the various threads....the comments were helpful.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:35 PM

29 posts, read 89,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordzgirl View Post
What I don't like about Pittsburgh:

1. Gray, dreary, long winters - need I say more?

2. Ridiculous taxes - we sold our home for $137,000, 1700 square feet, 50 plus years old, and our taxes were $3,800 a year. Here in SC, for a $265,000, 2400 sqaure foot five bedroom new home the taxes are $1,900

3. Complete resistance to change - "We've always done things this way so we'll always continue to do them this way."

4. Having to know the right people to be able to get a teaching job. It's always made me angry that my 40 something husband with a master's degree, tons of life experience, two kids, a background teaching music lessons, coaching soccer, Cub Scout leader, working with delinquent youth and retarded people was not hired for a teaching job while a 22-year-old who worked in a bar in college and has an uncle on a school board got the job

5. Unions, unions, unions - I'm a former Teamster, and the only thing they ever did for me was take a big chunk out of my paychecks every year

I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, and I do love the city - my best friends in the world live there, and I truly believe that Pittsburgh people are the nicest anywhere. But I have to say that I will never move back, for the very reasons cited above.
"retarded" people.....that's not cool....but that's coming from a former special education person.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:11 PM

136 posts, read 166,808 times
most of mine are more a complaint on the state of pennsylvania than pittsburgh itself...

1. the property taxes - i know it's the #1 most livable city but still...the taxes could be dropped a thousand or so.

2. the weird liquor laws...10% drink tax, can't buy in a grocery store, etc.

3. the lack of a smoking ban (please don't attack me for that)

4. car inspections

5. my biggest pet peeve...the pennsylvania turnpike commission. first of all, the tolls on the Pa Turnpike are ridiculous. It's one thing to have nice roads and pay high tolls. But the state roads SUCK. Hardly any highways are more than 4 lanes total.

Especially in and around Pittsburgh...we're a CITY. We deserve to have more than 2 lanes on one side of our Parkways. I know there's layout issues (i.e. the Parkway East was placed in the most ridiculous spot ever). Everything is tolled if it gets better. The Mon-Fayette Expressway, 60 N of the Airport, and apparently if they ever add more lanes to the Parkway East, they will be tolled, too.

I LOVE the city of Pittsburgh and all of it's surrounding areas and people. Yes, there is a problem that people don't want to change and that is why Pittsburgh gets things later than all other cities in the country but it's still special and amazing in it's own way. Can't wait to move back.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 PM

713 posts, read 1,865,264 times
Don't even get me started on the turnpike. Horrible condition and high tolls. That's why Fast Eddie and others want to toll I-80, so they can "eliminate the compitition" so to speak. I-80 is 10 times better than the turnpike, and it's free.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:29 PM

267 posts, read 814,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluvpitt View Post
"retarded" people.....that's not cool....but that's coming from a former special education person.
You're right - retarded people is not cool. My husband, who actually worked with the special needs population, would never say that. Those are my words, and yes, they're insensitive. But you obviously knew who I was referencing, and I stand by everything else in that post.

BTW, why are you no longer a special education person?

Last edited by wordzgirl; 04-24-2008 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: poor grammar

Old 04-25-2008, 11:41 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghcleak View Post
most of mine are more a complaint on the state of pennsylvania than pittsburgh itself...

1. the property taxes - i know it's the #1 most livable city but still...the taxes could be dropped a thousand or so.

2. the weird liquor laws...10% drink tax, can't buy in a grocery store, etc.

3. the lack of a smoking ban (please don't attack me for that)

4. car inspections

5. my biggest pet peeve...the pennsylvania turnpike commission. first of all, the tolls on the Pa Turnpike are ridiculous. It's one thing to have nice roads and pay high tolls. But the state roads SUCK. Hardly any highways are more than 4 lanes total.

Especially in and around Pittsburgh...we're a CITY. We deserve to have more than 2 lanes on one side of our Parkways. I know there's layout issues (i.e. the Parkway East was placed in the most ridiculous spot ever). Everything is tolled if it gets better. The Mon-Fayette Expressway, 60 N of the Airport, and apparently if they ever add more lanes to the Parkway East, they will be tolled, too.

I LOVE the city of Pittsburgh and all of it's surrounding areas and people. Yes, there is a problem that people don't want to change and that is why Pittsburgh gets things later than all other cities in the country but it's still special and amazing in it's own way. Can't wait to move back.
Ditto numbers, 1,2,3,and 4 for me. Don't know enough about #5 to comment.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:10 AM

758 posts, read 1,226,296 times
What I don't like about Pittsburgh is an aspect of the bus system...In NYC and Phila.
when you get on the bus,you enter and pay in the front and exit the back..Here,
the bus can be packed and you enter the front and exit the front..having to squeeze by
people.. I hate that..at least if it is rush hour enter the front and exit the back..

This city can be so backwards sometimes with no common sense...

I also don't like the fact that it seems downtown is becoming more and more empty and desolated...

Old 04-26-2008, 11:53 AM

13 posts, read 51,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut33 View Post
So I've heard a lot about what people do like about Pittsburgh...what don't you like? Thanks!
I have lived here for around a year and a half, and the biggest thing I can't stand is Pittsburghs favorite pasttime, waiting in traffic. Nevermind trying to find alternate routes to work, just park your car on 376 every morning and sit there like a fool. And don't bother listening to the press releases about construction, just join everyone else in clogging our neighborhoods during construction season. And it doesn't seem to be enough to sit through traffic on the work week, nope, let's pack everyone up on the weekend and clog all the roads to Robinson, South Side, Waterfront, and Pittsburgh Mills to wait two hours in line for dinner instead of supporting neighborhood venues.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:14 AM

35 posts, read 107,704 times
-The accent. On the other hand, I am usually asked “how long ago” I moved here, and people often assume that I'm from New York because I use proper grammar and pronunciation.

-The alternative culture or lack thereof. It consists of mangy middle-class kids donning thrift-store jeans and posing at the Brillobox. Anything the least bit edgy, alternative, or – gasp!- sexual does not fly here. Bands routinely skip here because no one goes to shows that aren't Epitaph bubblegum punk. Thee Eye failed. Laga failed. Basically, any interesting venue or performance space fails.

-The sports fanaticism. No, I don't give a **** about the Steelers, so quit trying to push your dull hobby on me.

-The job market. Unless you want to work at EDMC or UPMC, sorry, no jobs. Don't even get me started about the pay scale, especially for women and minorities.

-The transit. If I pay as much as a New Yorker for service, I should get the same level and quality of service.

-The inability of natives to take any criticism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh