Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 05:48 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,559 times

Advertisements

Is it a good neighborhood? (I know it's approx 40% Jewish, and that's fine for me.)

Also -- I'm almost 70 (and a woman) -- no disabilities (yet). Am I too old to adjust to Pittsburgh winters?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 06:00 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times
Where are you coming from? It's generally a great neighborhood, but the hills/steps/steep sidewalks might be harder than the winters per se. I mean, it's not hard to find a nice warm house, but it might be tricky walking outside when the sidewalks get icy. There are other parts of Pittsburgh that are a bit more flat...parts of Squirrel Hill south are flat too, but some streets are pretty steep and/or have houses built into the hills with lots of steps outside the front door, so that would be something to avoid.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:07 PM

Ohhh -- ok. Steep steps are probably not a possibility.

I'm coming from Southern, CA and Albuquerque, NM. And my big problem is that I have to stay within the 15217 zip code.

And thanks -- really.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:43 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,995 times
It is a really nice neighborhood. There are many people in your age range as well as younger people. As RPT said, some of the houses have steps up to them but plenty do not. It just is something to be aware of.
Greenfield is nice too and is in the same zip code. Parts of Greenfield are indistinguishable from South Squirrel Hill, but Greenfield housing is a bit cheaper (not sure if you are looking to buy or if price matters but I wanted to put that out there).
I cannot comment on how you will find the winters. I have been here nine years and there seems to be variations in the harshness of the winters. A couple have been rough and a couple have been very mild and the rest have been in between.
These old houses have excellent radiators, though. ;-)

Old 10-30-2017, 02:37 AM

Charisb, may I ask where you came from 9 years ago? (If you don't want to answer, that's fine, of course.) The reason I'm asking is because I think I remember you -- I was on the Pittsburgh board years ago and for about 6 months -- I was thinking of moving to Pittsburgh back then. The reason I didn't move then was because I read the Pittsburgh had 9-month winters. LOL Another reason I'm asking is: how do you like it in Pittsburgh overall?

So I'm looking at Pittsburgh again because I live in NM, and one of the things I loved/love about NM was/is that it's so gorgeous. And for the last 12 years, I've spent falls and springs driving around the state. But now I'm getting to the, ahem, age where I can't do that as often and as for long -- I use to be gone all day. Then three years ago I broke my shoulder, and 18 months later I severely broke my arm and wrist (same side -- LLLLLLLLLLOOOOOLLLLLLL -- and neither break was even my fault! So I've slowed down rather a lot.

About a year ago, I joined The Jewish Community Center here, and I love it -- I not only work out there most days but I've gotten more and more involved in other things at JCC as time has gone by. I noticed that South SH has a Jewish community center which is MUUUUUCH better than the one we have here. (Makes our JCC here seem so sad in comparison. ) AND, if I live in in the 15217 zip code I get either free or low-cost transportation to and from the center everyday.

I also would love to live in a big city again. Returning to Southern CA, where I lived for 57 years and where The Big One is coming any time (and it truly is), is not an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
It is a really nice neighborhood. There are many people in your age range as well as younger people. As RPT said, some of the houses have steps up to them but plenty do not. It just is something to be aware of.
Greenfield is nice too and is in the same zip code. Parts of Greenfield are indistinguishable from South Squirrel Hill, but Greenfield housing is a bit cheaper (not sure if you are looking to buy or if price matters but I wanted to put that out there).
I cannot comment on how you will find the winters. I have been here nine years and there seems to be variations in the harshness of the winters. A couple have been rough and a couple have been very mild and the rest have been in between.
These old houses have excellent radiators, though. ;-)

Old 10-30-2017, 06:41 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
The JCC is well served by bus lines, so you might be able to expand your search radius along the bus lines and pay the senior citizen fare to get to the JCC.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:41 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Squirrel Hill has tons of people of all ages, from little kids through to seniors. I wouldn't be afraid of feeling out of place in the neighborhood.

I believe that some of the condos and big apartment buildings in Squirrel Hill South have a mostly senior population, but others are now mostly Asian exchange students. Someone who lives in the neighborhood may be able to give you more tips.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:11 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
One thing about Sq Hill South is that there are a lot of hills. They are great for vistas, etc, but not ideal during the month or three that we have snow and ice. Otherwise, very nice neighborhood.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:14 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
You mentioned that the JCC provides free or low-cost transportation to the center if you live in the 15217 zip. In Pennsylvania, those over 65 ride public transit for free at all times, too. That would be a plus, since you can go just about anywhere and Squirrel Hill has excellent bus service.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:25 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times
Depending on price range, I wonder if the OP might consider a condo in the nice part of Oakland. Some empty nester friends of ours sold a place in Mt Lebanon and moved to a condo near Craig Street, and they are loving it. They can walk to the Carnegie Museums and various other things, and they zip all over the place by bus. It's a flat neighborhood for the most part, and close to Squirrel Hill, and they never feel lonely since there are always people around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh