U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2018, 06:12 AM
 
2,156 posts, read 1,682,396 times
Reputation: 1847

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
nah, come on. It may be harmful, but you aren't standing there breathing it in for minutes at a time. You move around, you avoid it. The plume does not follow you. If you ARE engulfed in it, then sure, you might have a case when you ask your neighbor to move the fire pit, or erect some screen.

Smokers on downtown streets are WAY more hate worthy.
Sure... people are all about protecting the health of others... until it impinges on their own enjoyment.

Now you know how the city's tobacco smokers feel...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2018, 06:15 AM
 
Location: Brookline
3,046 posts, read 2,471,546 times
Reputation: 3650
Someone was toasting marshmallows near my house last night...my dining room smelled glorious.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 06:32 AM
 
2,273 posts, read 3,623,232 times
Reputation: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Sure... people are all about protecting the health of others... until it impinges on their own enjoyment.

Now you know how the city's tobacco smokers feel...
Funny thing is, I don’t mind the occasional smoker in a well ventilated area, but they multiply and suddenly it’s a disgusting fog. Best for people to give up smoking. I guess the same could be said for fires. The occasional outdoor or indoor fire is quite nice, but probably 20 of then surrounding me would be terrible. LOL, nothing in life is fair or consistent. Still love the wafting smell of good wood burning, especially when it’s grilling some sort of meat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 07:39 AM
 
2,150 posts, read 1,649,311 times
Reputation: 1818
I love my backyard pit, in fact I just did a bit of maintenance to it last weekend. I do not burn all that much, never in the summer really when people may have windows open. It's a late fall kind of thing for us and I personally like the smell of wood smoke.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 08:06 AM
 
Location: North Oakland
9,154 posts, read 9,699,053 times
Reputation: 14446
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I love my backyard pit, in fact I just did a bit of maintenance to it last weekend. I do not burn all that much, never in the summer really when people may have windows open. It's a late fall kind of thing for us and I personally like the smell of wood smoke.
Have you inquired whether your smoke is driving anyone in your immediate vicinity to keep their windows closed?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 08:13 AM
 
2,150 posts, read 1,649,311 times
Reputation: 1818
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Have you inquired whether your smoke is driving anyone in your immediate vicinity to keep their windows closed?
Yeah actually, I live on a dead end with only 7 houses and have asked everybody over the years. One of my immediate neighbors asked that I let her know so she can close her windows, which I do. We're all pretty tight neighbors, no hurt feelings etc. I also abide by the rules regarding distances and all, and keep my garden hose nearby just in case. Where I live we're not on top of each other like some neighborhoods, our houses are separated by driveways and yards and my back yard is big by most city yard standards. My neighbor 2 doors down burns about two times per week. But the distance from my house to his pit is probably about 60 yards so it's no big deal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 08:24 AM
 
Location: North Oakland
9,154 posts, read 9,699,053 times
Reputation: 14446
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Yeah actually, I live on a dead end with only 7 houses and have asked everybody over the years. One of my immediate neighbors asked that I let her know so she can close her windows, which I do. We're all pretty tight neighbors, no hurt feelings etc. I also abide by the rules regarding distances and all, and keep my garden hose nearby just in case. Where I live we're not on top of each other like some neighborhoods, our houses are separated by driveways and yards and my back yard is big by most city yard standards. My neighbor 2 doors down burns about two times per week. But the distance from my house to his pit is probably about 60 yards so it's no big deal.
"Won't you be my neighbor?"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 08:33 AM
 
2,150 posts, read 1,649,311 times
Reputation: 1818
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
"Won't you be my neighbor?"
Buy a house in Brighton Heights brah!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 08:41 AM
 
Location: San Diego
42,145 posts, read 38,073,093 times
Reputation: 26440
We have a fireplace, wood burning stove and a fire pit. Oh, forgot multiple smokers too. Twice a year I bring down a giant load of red oak. This year we hardly used the stove and didn't use the fireplace as it was pretty warm. Once a week we smoke meats. The only neighbor that complained are two chain smokers that wouldn't move away from our fence line (we are down wind) so I could care less they don't like smoked meats. We tried to work out something but nope. Our other neighbors know some goodies are coming when that oak is burning.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2018, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
253 posts, read 202,595 times
Reputation: 350
It also helps if you properly build the fire in the first place. Start small and dry and feed slowly and appropriately (too fast and you'll get smoke -- too slow, and you risk the fire dying). Done right, there should actually be very little smoke.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top