Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:49 PM

977 posts, read 567,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
LOL, I apologize because I'm a direct descendant of civil rights workers. My mom was an attorney in the deep south and my father participated in lunch sit ins.

When African americans sat in on lunch counters we heard the same stupid argument. It's "unamerican", anarchy, Communism etc etc.

the bottom line is MOST of the change in this country has only happened after the "majority" has been inconvenienced.

In the South it was illegal for blacks to congregate especially in public places, and yes they were arrested. We picketed in front of stores, blocked sidewalks and other things.

Americans DO THE RIGHT thing ONLY when it's left with no other choice.

Personally I think they should shut down the airports. lol, you want to watch something happen? shut down a few major airports for a couple of days and watch what happens.

Protesting is MEANT to be disruptive.
Since you are a direct descendant of civil rights workers, then perhaps you better than anyone should understand WHY the civil rights protest were so effective and why these protests are not going to be. The civil rights protestors were disobeying laws, but the laws they disobeyed were the ones that they were actually protesting against. The protestors were disobeying the laws that they wanted to change. They gained the moral high ground when law enforcement cracked down on them for doing nothing more than riding a bus, eating at a lunch counter, etc.

Now, today's protestors are also violating the law, but the law that they are violating is not the law that they actually are protesting. The law they are violating is one that almost everyone agrees with; namely that people should not have the right to form large groups and block public streets and highways. Nobody is going to feel sympathetic toward people who get arrested because of blocking traffic, at least not in the same visceral way that people recognized the moral righteousness of the civil rights protestors when they were arrested for violating Jim Crow laws. More likely, even those who ARE sympathetic to the subject of the actual protest will to a large degree be put off by the mobs of people unnecessarily blocking roadways.

Also, as has been repeatedly pointed out to you, perhaps the protestors are in the wrong here. The state law as written allowed the shooting of Rose as a justifiable act of deadly force by the officer. The law actually is on the side of the officer here. Perhaps the protests should be taking place in Harrisburg around the state capitol in an effort to get that law changed. It won't help the situation in terms of any prosecution of the officer in this case, but it could change the way police can legally use force in the future.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:06 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
If protestors want to get my support, blocking my way to work, the airport, or anywhere I want to go will not accomplish that.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:20 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
If protestors want to get my support, blocking my way to work, the airport, or anywhere I want to go will not accomplish that.
Exactly this.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:32 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Quote:
Have you considered the fact that they know they’re not going to get your support, and the goal is to disrupt? I don’t know why you think your particular support is so important, you clearly are not aligned with the cause. You’re basically saying, I would recognize your humanity, but you have inconvenience to me.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:08 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Have you considered the fact that they know they’re not going to get your support, and the goal is to disrupt? I don’t know why you think your particular support is so important, you clearly are not aligned with the cause. You’re basically saying, I would recognize your humanity, but you have inconvenience to me.

Never said my support is so important. Do I think this officer should fry, yes. He is obviously not qualified to carry a firearm, let alone be an officer of the law. What will shouting in the streets do to change my opinion? You want to change things, do it at the ballot box.

And don't pretend to know what I think.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:08 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
They’re lawbreaking nuisances that many don’t take seriously who are protesting against a police officer that did his job according to the law. Few find what they’re doing a disruption, but rather annoyances defending a criminal.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:17 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,992,376 times
Quote:
Never said my support is so important. Do I think this officer should fry, yes. He is obviously not qualified to carry a firearm, let alone be an officer of the law. What will shouting in the streets do to change my opinion? You want to change things, do it at the ballot box.

And don't pretend to know what I think.
First, whatever they hope to accomplish, they should do it lawfully or be arrested. Second, according to PA law which has been posted here and based on the facts we have been given, the officer acted in accordance with the law. The protesters have the right to protest as long as they do so within the scope of the law. If they intend to disrupt and do disrupt by blocking streets, they become criminals.

Every time a police officer goes to work, they risk never coming home again. They are out there taking the risks so we can be safe.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:43 PM

684 posts, read 419,767 times
Quote:
What would you say the goal of disruption is?

Old 07-09-2018, 06:42 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
it feels like this is a tipping point, into something closer to anarchy.
I read your post earlier and thought about replying, but to be honest I wanted to think about this statement for a bit. I do think the unlawful protesting blocking streets is moving towards anarchy and there is going to be a response to that by "the people". There is an old saying, "one bad apple spoils the barrel" and what I think we are seeing are the protesters are the bad apples. If they were protesting on the public sidewalk, which is legal, then they would be fine, but they aren't doing that. They are creating a spoiled situation and making people angry and accomplishing nothing for their cause. All they are doing is making people mad and that shouldn't be the goal. The goal is to bring people together against the cop. Here is what they are actually doing.

1. People are going to side with the cop more in our region because of these protests blocking the streets.
2. Police are being paid more now with overtime to babysit the unlawful protesting.

At the end of the day the cop is going to get off because of angry citizens towards how these spoiled protesters are acting.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:51 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Actually his support is VERY important because he represents the MAJORITY. You want the majority on your side if you are going to battle.

I think you need to think about that. If the protests were on sidewalks and not blocking roadways you might find that people do feel shooting someone in the back three times isn't really want the majority wants. I find it hard to swallow to be honest and I am also in the majority of my peers. Minorities in the end can be squashed. Best to recognize it. I think the group that recognized it the best are the Jews. They got pounded for centuries, but they finally realized they need the majority on their side. They have become successful knowing they can be crushed with ease by..... you guessed it the majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh