Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 10:23 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
And also, why is the area attracting this kind of behavior now when it seemingly didn't even a generation ago. What has changed?
It’s not, anymore than any of the areas with random school shootings around US. If any area can be “blamed”, it’s the US in general due to many factors, not one particular area of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 10:32 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
You can't be implying that these things are a Pittsburgh problem? That is just silly.
Nope. That is not even implied if you read carefully. It simply states this problem did not exist a generation ago in your area to the worst of my knowledge but in the last decade, it has suddenly become a problem.

These problems are not in every nook and cranny of this country. It is happening mostly in metro areas and seems to be larger metro areas and not smaller metro areas.

When is the last time we heard about anything of this nature or some of the other incidents mentioned happen in a place like Des Moines? Or Boise? Grand Rapids? Portland, ME? It does seem to be confined to larger metro areas like Pittsburgh.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:42 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
As someone that is considering a move to the Pittsburgh metro area in a couple of years, I am finding the spate of mass murders from shootings and now apparently religious intolerance starting to grow in its most virulent form in the area, a major concern.
It'll probably get better with City limits actually.
As the City increasingly gentrifies, the poor are increasingly priced out and forced to relocate to the periphery (Mon Valley and Eastern suburbs primarily).. the more that the City continues to gentrify (and I don't see the gentrification stopping anytime soon), the safer it will be. However, the violence will be displaced from the City and relocated to the suburbs.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:56 AM

969 posts, read 772,565 times
Quote:
Nope. That is not even implied if you read carefully. It simply states this problem did not exist a generation ago in your area to the worst of my knowledge but in the last decade, it has suddenly become a problem.

These problems are not in every nook and cranny of this country. It is happening mostly in metro areas and seems to be larger metro areas and not smaller metro areas.

When is the last time we heard about anything of this nature or some of the other incidents mentioned happen in a place like Des Moines? Or Boise? Grand Rapids? Portland, ME? It does seem to be confined to larger metro areas like Pittsburgh.
So the more people you have in a given area the more potential issues you face in that area? Yeah,that's pretty obvious.

My concern is why there's so much xenophobia in Etna. From the sounds of it in this form it's getting out of hand.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
My concern is why there's so much xenophobia in Etna. From the sounds of it in this form it's getting out of hand.
My ex-wife, who is the mother of my child, is from Russia. Our son is completely bilingual.
I'm a dual-citizen of a small and poor country in Europe, and I've lived abroad.
I went to Mexico to propose, in Spanish, marriage to a Mexican woman.

But yup, I'm so effing xenophobic.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:26 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
My ex-wife, who is the mother of my child, is from Russia. Our son is completely bilingual.
I'm a dual-citizen of a small and poor country in Europe, and I've lived abroad.
I went to Mexico to propose, in Spanish, marriage to a Mexican woman.

But yup, I'm so effing xenophobic.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tyovan4 again.

Lol. I’m still laughing at the original response. Assumptions, as in most cases, are hilarious and wrong at the same time.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lol. I’m still laughing at the original response. Assumptions, as in most cases, are hilarious and wrong at the same time.
At least someone can laugh. I really wasn't laughing.

So because I don't support illegal immigration (because I've personally played by the rules and dealt with the immigration/naturalization system in multiple countries), because I support vetting of refugees (instead of blindly welcoming people with open arms and a bleeding heart), and because I support prioritizing refuge for groups whose members are less likely to commit violence against us (Yazidis and Arab Christians, in contrast to Sunnis) - somehow I'm a xenophobe whose opinions are invalid.

And ya'll are gonna wonder in 2020 how and why Trump possibly got re-elected... I think he's a *******. But he doesn't hate me, or people like me and my dad.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:51 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
At least someone can laugh. I really wasn't laughing.

So because I don't support illegal immigration (because I've personally played by the rules and dealt with the immigration/naturalization system in multiple countries), because I support vetting of refugees (instead of blindly welcoming people with open arms and a bleeding heart), and because I support prioritizing refuge for groups whose members are less likely to commit violence against us (Yazidis and Arab Christians, in contrast to Sunnis) - somehow I'm a xenophobe whose opinions are invalid.

And ya'll are gonna wonder in 2020 how and why Trump possibly got re-elected... I think he's a *******. But he doesn't hate me, or people like me and my dad.
It was so ridiculous I couldn’t help it.

Bingo

Old 06-20-2019, 01:03 PM

97 posts, read 100,900 times
I think the U.S, should stop bringing in refugees.
There are hundreds of millions of people in the world who want to escape their own countries.
Any amount we bring in is just symbolic, and it causes social friction here.
We should instead do what we can to make their home countries a better place to live.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:46 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlwhip View Post
I think the U.S, should stop bringing in refugees.
There are hundreds of millions of people in the world who want to escape their own countries.
Any amount we bring in is just symbolic, and it causes social friction here.
We should instead do what we can to make their home countries a better place to live.
ROTFLMAO...like we have in Afghanistan and Iraq
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh