Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 10:03 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
It's not about "like." And yes most people believe it. They still believe things like "Mexico will pay for the wall."

Clearly they believe the Shell Cracker lie.
Contrary to what some Trump haters believe, most don’t have Trump Goggles” on and believe everything he says.

Some people believe that. Some people are also filled with such Trump disdain that it clouds reality.

I’ll wager there are many at the plant that don’t like him, don’t believe he had anything to do with it, and don’t want him to be there.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:32 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,971,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
No need for sadness. Lots of money being made by a lot of people. It’s great that Trump is paying it/them a visit.
Exactly! Who cares about the quality of our air as long as a lot of people are making lots of money!

Old 08-17-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Exactly! Who cares about the quality of our air as long as a lot of people are making lots of money!
If one was truly worried about air quality, they wouldn’t live in Pittsburgh.

It’s interesting that you’re now bringing up air quality in regards to the plant since your initial link/story holds little to no meaning in regards to your narrative.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:05 PM

615 posts, read 394,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
$700 everyday no way in hell. I was topped out on pay at brackenridge. I was making $504 for a 12 hour day. Sundays were a $1100 day but $700 everyday is not happening on a regular basis.
What does brakenridge have to with anything? Isn’t that near Westmoreland and Armstrong counties? That isn’t part of the growth corridor of the Pittsburgh area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyK View Post
Good to know that you are willing to sell your soul for 700 bucks a day. How did it feel when you bent over?
I didn’t sell my soul for anything. I cashed in. I bought in Weirton and property owners are starting to reap the benefits of the job growth and money coming in from the cracker. I’m sorry the city decided it wanted nothing to do with the spin-off jobs and would rather cater to a minority of folks that can program a computer.

Quote:
Classy
Amen to that.

Quote:
Anger, jealousy, etc..., certainly runs deep.
No doubt. They love including the cranberry and airport area in the metro when they are trying to win the metro size argument on another thread, but they hate it on the local board because that’s where the money is being made and people are choosing to live.

Quote:
Contrary to what some Trump haters believe, most don’t have Trump Goggles” on and believe everything he says.

Some people believe that. Some people are also filled with such Trump disdain that it clouds reality.

I’ll wager there are many at the plant that don’t like him, don’t believe he had anything to do with it, and don’t want him to be there.
Agreed. Trump has no reason to visit the city of Pittsburgh. There is no economic development going on there of this magnitude. The jobs and money flowing into this area now is amazing. I’m glad the city and most of Allegheny county stuck it’s nose up at the gas industry. Weirton will gladly take the money and jobs coming with it. Let Pittsburgh fight about affordable housing and raising the minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour. The real money is out here.

Obama visited Pittsburgh all the time. He loved the city. There was no other president that promoted the city more than Obama. And with all of that good press and 8 years of a national figure promoting it the population still declines and people leave for the suburbs.

Quote:
What does this have to do with trump visiting the cracker plant?

Quote:
If one was truly worried about air quality, they wouldn’t live in Pittsburgh.

It’s interesting that you’re now bringing up air quality in regards to the plant since your initial link/story holds little to no meaning in regards to your narrative.

Agreed. Or water quality, which is probably more hazardous drinking water from lead lines.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:23 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,397,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
What does brakenridge have to with anything? Isn’t that near Westmoreland and Armstrong counties? That isn’t part of the growth corridor of the Pittsburgh area.

I didn’t sell my soul for anything. I cashed in. I bought in Weirton and property owners are starting to reap the benefits of the job growth and money coming in from the cracker. I’m sorry the city decided it wanted nothing to do with the spin-off jobs and would rather cater to a minority of folks that can program a computer.

Amen to that.

No doubt. They love including the cranberry and airport area in the metro when they are trying to win the metro size argument on another thread, but they hate it on the local board because that’s where the money is being made and people are choosing to live.

Agreed. Trump has no reason to visit the city of Pittsburgh. There is no economic development going on there of this magnitude. The jobs and money flowing into this area now is amazing. I’m glad the city and most of Allegheny county stuck it’s nose up at the gas industry. Weirton will gladly take the money and jobs coming with it. Let Pittsburgh fight about affordable housing and raising the minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour. The real money is out here.

Obama visited Pittsburgh all the time. He loved the city. There was no other president that promoted the city more than Obama. And with all of that good press and 8 years of a national figure promoting it the population still declines and people leave for the suburbs.

What does this have to do with trump visiting the cracker plant?

Agreed. Or water quality, which is probably more hazardous drinking water from lead lines.

Brakenridge will have the same payscale within a few percentage points. The scale may even be less depending what local they are hiring from.

People are bitching about the environmental impact but does anyone remember what the plant replaced? I will take the cracker plant

Old 08-17-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Brakenridge will have the same payscale within a few percentage points. The scale may even be less depending what local they are hiring from.

People are bitching about the environmental impact but does anyone remember what the plant replaced? I will take the cracker plant
It replaced a bar/restaurant and a lot of dirt.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tim...emplate=ampart

Old 08-17-2019, 12:38 PM

615 posts, read 394,683 times
Quote:

Well regardless, plenty of others in the area wish they had jobs that paid that much. If those jobs were in the city limits we wouldn’t hear the end of it.

It replaced a zinc smelter plant if I am not mistaken? Way worse than the cracker plant. Also first energy is closing the coal plant. The beaver valley power station, which was throwing out so much moisture in the air a few years back that it created 2 inches of lake effect type snowfall over northern Allegheny County suburbs. Those crying about air pollution had no idea what this plant is replacing.

The zinc plant was terrible. Horse head was the
Company if I remember correctly.

Quote:
It replaced a bar/restaurant and a lot of dirt.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tim...emplate=ampart
Lol. I’m pretty sure it was a zinc smelter plant it replaced. I do see the bar was part of the deal.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Lol. I’m pretty sure it was a zinc smelter plant it replaced. I do see the bar was part of the deal.
Yeah. I’ve been to that bar before so I’m glad to see the owners happy to get paid for it.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:47 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Quote:
You’re right. They have the option of taking less money.
Yes they had the freedom to choose. This is a no story.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:14 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
Even if all this is true, as a private employer they have a right to assign this as part of their duties. Besides, if you read these accounts carefully, this is considered overtime so they aren't REALLY being penalized.

Lastly, I don't see how anyone who works in the petrochemical industry (the biggest industrial sector here in South Louisiana) can be against Trump. The only plant workers here I know who are against Trump are black or Hispanic and believe the liberal media's lies about Trumps "racism" or are Hispanic and put their race first and sympathize with illegal aliens. The entire petrochemical industry, including the Shell plant, will be closed if AOC, Pocahontas or Biden take power and implements the Green New Deal. Anyone who works in this industry, has family and friends in this industry, or lives in an area where this industry is big obviously don't know which side their bread is buttered if they don't support Trump and oppose the EPA and government overregulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh