Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 10:58 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Are there any McDonald's anywhere in the country that aren't just awful?
actually, there are! there MUST be....

Leesburg Pike, Ty Co, VA - i remember AMAZED at it - clean, polite, the people there all short cute hispanics and none without accents. This is an important detail, and I will tell you why - they are immigrants that had PRIDE in their work.

that place, when i last lived there, was all those things. customers there were actually human to each other. the pride thing was evident and had residual effect on the people that ate that crap (like me). the food was fresh, at least.

this is probabl y a direct result of good management, and careful hiring/retaining of crew.

back in my VA days, there was one on I-70 in rural Maryland I thought was good as well.

i dont go to mcdonalds anymore, though.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:00 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Well, that's all our downtown has left, really.

Any news of the proposed movie theater in the old Bally's space?
honestly! and the old Kaufmanns - originally, that WAS planned to have a movie theater, bowling alley, and be an "entertainment center". pffffft.

maybe they'd bring back a 24/7 culture if they allowed the old time massage parlors and peep shows to set up.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:19 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Are there any McDonald's anywhere in the country that aren't just awful?
We like the North Side one on Allegheny Avenue. The ones Downtown are awful, and the one in the Strip District was awful. The one adjacent to Trader Joe's in East Liberty isn't bad. We've never had a good experience at the other one in East Liberty (across from the fire station) or the one in Wilkinsburg. We have traditionally had negative experiences at the one in Homestead, too. The one in Shaler Township has been hit or miss for us, too (yes, we do eat too much fast food! )

Old 01-14-2020, 11:10 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,678 times
A new restaurant has opened on Market Square.
It looks very 'trendy' for the wealthy hipster/yuppie demographic.

Quote:
Located on the second level of Market Street Grocery, it opened as the Holiday House, a pop-up bar, in December and transitioned into a restaurant lounge on Jan. 2. The homey, cozy space is just as inviting for the “cool kids,” after-work types and singles as it is for boomers, weekend out-and-abouters and couples.

https://www.post-gazette.com/life/di...s/202001130103

Old 01-14-2020, 01:23 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
A new restaurant has opened on Market Square.
It looks very 'trendy' for the wealthy hipster/yuppie demographic.
Pizza and poutine is fancy cooking nowadays? You gotta love Pittsburgh.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:37 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Pizza and poutine is fancy cooking nowadays? You gotta love Pittsburgh.
And the plastic straws in the old fashioned.....

Old 01-14-2020, 02:12 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,611 times
The cherry in the old fashioned (with a stem, no less, so it's not a Luxardo cherry) is sure to offend most hipsters

Old 01-14-2020, 02:26 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
The cherry in the old fashioned (with a stem, no less, so it's not a Luxardo cherry) is sure to offend most hipsters
The Luxardo pushes the price point too much for most bars, but it’s an old fashioned and not fruit cocktail so it should just be an orange peel.

This looks like a decent place though for a nice after work drink that is not at a restaurant and its close to work which is nice.

Another new spot is The Lounge at the Americus Club. Looks like a pretty cool spot too.

https://pittsburgh.verylocal.com/tin...us-club/82562/

https://americusclub.com

And the pop up bar that was there is moving over to the old Elbow Room location in Shadyside.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:30 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,689 times
Default Latest update on the strip district McDonalds

McDonalds old building is now gone and looks like a bank will be building and opening soon at that location.

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202006300041

Old 07-02-2020, 06:12 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,960,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
We like the North Side one on Allegheny Avenue. The ones Downtown are awful, and the one in the Strip District was awful. The one adjacent to Trader Joe's in East Liberty isn't bad. We've never had a good experience at the other one in East Liberty (across from the fire station) or the one in Wilkinsburg. We have traditionally had negative experiences at the one in Homestead, too. The one in Shaler Township has been hit or miss for us, too (yes, we do eat too much fast food! )
Many of the locations mentioned are awful because they hire staff straight out of halfway houses. Downtown and Wilkinsburg especially. I would never allow my children to work there for this reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh