Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 06:30 PM

716 posts, read 766,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
It has projected to decline in population much like the south side flats. It’s at best a 1 for 1 swap of residents with higher income driving up housing prices.

The new census numbers will tell the tale. I’m interested in seeing reactions on here one way or another.
I'd love to see the link to this projection study please. I mean I'm really interested in the methodology of such a projection especially when you consider the thousands of new units, both rental apartments and infill housing, that have been constructed and occupied in Lawrenceville in the last 5 years alone. And make no mistake they are filled. At a Lawrenceville United meeting last year discussing the second phase of Arsenal 201 the owners shared that the first phase was something like 98% occupied.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:52 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
If families ever start moving to the city (unlikely), we may see some population gain. As it stands, with singles, young professionals, and gay men living in urban neighborhoods, it seems probable that population decline will continue. You have singles and couples living in large homes that housed multiple families in the Depression. I live alone in a 4000 sq. ft. house that housed a dozen people 75 years ago (when Western PA population peaked). Now it houses one person. Population decline does not always equate to economic decline. It seems we are a little more spread out than we used to be.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:20 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Is Lawrenceville really generating a ton of money?
I can't be bothered with most of your post because it is too long and a waste of my time.

1. You do understand the city of Pittsburgh HAMMERS income compared to the suburbs.
2. There is this little thing called assessed value when you buy a home. You know if someone purchases a condo in Lawrenceville for 1/2 a million $$$$'s they have to pay up. That same lot had a home on it that valued at $40K!!!!!!!! Hello? Anyone home?

On a personal note, I know someone that moved from MY school district that had a helicopter pad and a HUGE home that moved to Lawrenceville. I can tell you his income is MILLIONS and MILLIONS. I suspect over a million every 15 days! Under the radar but lets just say he knows the energy industry well and needs to be in Texas often. Enough said, but do you have any understanding of how much money that one person creates for the city? 1/2 of Homewood? Maybe. We are talking about someone that knows Cheney VERY well. Is he known? Probably to a certain group. Mellons and such.

I sold VERY high end real estate for a lot of years. Heck I have had every multi-million dollar property for sale back when real estate agents used BOOKS. Yeah, I kid you not, but every million dollar home on the final most expensive page was mine. I know these people. You have no idea the money. Under the radar because they are smart.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:43 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
I'd love to see the link to this projection study please. I mean I'm really interested in the methodology of such a projection especially when you consider the thousands of new units, both rental apartments and infill housing, that have been constructed and occupied in Lawrenceville in the last 5 years alone. And make no mistake they are filled. At a Lawrenceville United meeting last year discussing the second phase of Arsenal 201 the owners shared that the first phase was something like 98% occupied.
The census estimates are right here. It’s no big secret. Central, Upper and Lower Lawrenceville are projected to lose a combined 600+ residents since 2010. It isn’t a complicated study. It’s obvious the neighborhood is declining in population. So you are looking at a 1 for 1 resident replacement if you believe new residents have all of this money.

https://ucsur.pitt.edu/files/census/..._2014-2018.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I can't be bothered with most of your post because it is too long and a waste of my time.

1. You do understand the city of Pittsburgh HAMMERS income compared to the suburbs.
2. There is this little thing called assessed value when you buy a home. You know if someone purchases a condo in Lawrenceville for 1/2 a million $$$$'s they have to pay up. That same lot had a home on it that valued at $40K!!!!!!!! Hello? Anyone home?

On a personal note, I know someone that moved from MY school district that had a helicopter pad and a HUGE home that moved to Lawrenceville. I can tell you his income is MILLIONS and MILLIONS. I suspect over a million every 15 days! Under the radar but lets just say he knows the energy industry well and needs to be in Texas often. Enough said, but do you have any understanding of how much money that one person creates for the city? 1/2 of Homewood? Maybe. We are talking about someone that knows Cheney VERY well. Is he known? Probably to a certain group. Mellons and such.

I sold VERY high end real estate for a lot of years. Heck I have had every multi-million dollar property for sale back when real estate agents used BOOKS. Yeah, I kid you not, but every million dollar home on the final most expensive page was mine. I know these people. You have no idea the money. Under the radar because they are smart.

Hammers income? What does that even mean? Look I agree there are some residents in Lawrenceville that have a lot more money today than 10 years ago. But it doesn’t change the fact that 600 less people are estimated to be living in that part of the city. Those neighborhoods aren’t proping up the city and restaurants are still closing here as well. That is 600 less consumers regardless of their income. Those may be families lost or very wealthy folks themselves. I get what you are saying but having 10 millionaires is not better nor is it sustainable than losing 600 people of a mixture of incomes and families. Maybe all that’s left is the middle class and poorer folks while the rich are cashing in to sell to the suburbs. You don’t know because hard data won’t exist till the final counts are tallied

Old 02-18-2020, 08:53 PM
gg

Quote:
Hammers income? What does that even mean? Look I agree there are some residents in Lawrenceville that have a lot more money today than 10 years ago. But it doesn’t change the fact that 600 less people are estimated to be living in that part of the city. Those neighborhoods aren’t proping up the city and restaurants are still closing here as well. That is 600 less consumers regardless of their income. Those may be families lost or very wealthy folks themselves. I get what you are saying but having 10 millionaires is not better nor is it sustainable than losing 600 people of a mixture of incomes and families. Maybe all that’s left is the middle class and poorer folks while the rich are cashing in to sell to the suburbs. You don’t know because hard data won’t exist till the final counts are tallied
Seriously? Your posts are obviously troll type posts, but you are lasting, so I figured you would at least get what I am saying.

It isn't the amount of people at all. It is all about money and income. It isn't popular, but those of us that know about money and reality know that high incomes and big savings matter WAY more than a bunch of dopes.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:58 PM
gg

Quote:
Hammers income?
You don't know how income tax works in Pittsburgh as a city resident?

Look just read more about this kind of thing. I don't have the time to school you to this level.

Good luck though.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:03 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Seriously? Your posts are obviously troll type posts, but you are lasting, so I figured you would at least get what I am saying.

It isn't the amount of people at all. It is all about money and income. It isn't popular, but those of us that know about money and reality know that high incomes and big savings matter WAY more than a bunch of dopes.
You're right. As just an example, ten years ago there was a low income family with several kids living in a house up the street from my parents in Lawrenceville. Today, that same house has been flipped and is owned by an upper middle class couple.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:38 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
For some reason older people don't "understand" how to use the parking kiosks despite them guiding you through with step-by-step on-screen instructions. I remember calmly and patiently assisting two elderly women to use one of the kiosks when they were first installed along South Craig Street near Ali Baba. I saw them struggling as I was walking by and offered to help. They were gracious but also annoyed at the end saying that the kiosks "aren't friendly for seniors".

Does your brain just sort of turn to mush as you reach a certain age? I mean I think typing in your license plate (which you should already have memorized) onto a kiosk using a keypad and then hitting a green arrow a few times in addition to plopping in some quarters isn't exactly rocket science.
License plate number? Why aren’t they using space numbers? I don’t know anyone who memorizes plate numbers.

By the way — that was my party trick. I knew our plate numbers, bank account numbers, drivers license numbers, if anyone at the party banked with me I probably knew their account numbers....

Old 02-19-2020, 03:32 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
You're right. As just an example, ten years ago there was a low income family with several kids living in a house up the street from my parents in Lawrenceville. Today, that same house has been flipped and is owned by an upper middle class couple.
Yep, and just that one little home is probably generating 3 or 4 times the revenue it used to with crazy property tax, income tax and those people going out to eat at expensive mediocre restaurants that are all over the place down there also generating quite a bit more than the dive bars that were mostly cash back in the day. Multiply that one home by all those places that have been restored and flipped, not to menion the expensive townhomes that are being built that are selling over $500K a pop. That is what matters. Number of people? No one cares that knows about finance. How much is a section 8 place generating for the city? A net loss considering the extra police that is required to patrol it. Those $500K places don't even need a police force present. Keep the gentrifying coming.

People need to focus on wealth and earning potential per unit and forget about population "growth". Growth in numbers isn't what is the most important. It is how much each home generates. If numbers mattered Fox Chapel wouldn't be on the radar, but the average income here is super high and so is the average price of a home that all generate HUGE tax revenue and incredible amenities. No one here cares about population growth. If anything no one wants growth and people fight to keep growth out. FC has a great school, parks, roads, country clubs and more. Want to build a library for functions? No problem people just donate millions and it gets done. A new baseball field with dugouts? Sure, a few people get together and plop down a few mill$$.

As Pittsburgh becomes more wealthy per unit, quality of life should go up. Even in the poorer areas because there will be money to spend to help those areas out. Sadly, there is one heck of a lot of waste in spending in our region with its huge wasteful governments from the state level all the way down to the bottom and we are taxed to death here. That makes things a lot slower as far as fixing this area up.

Enjoy these good times now. If a far left person gets in at the top we are going to experience Jimmy Carter days again. It isn't going to be very fun for anyone no matter how much money you have. Hope we don't find that out. I remember it as a kid. Ouch.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:09 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,686,336 times
Quote:

You are basically saying Pittsburgh is better now because we are getting rid of poor and working class people in favor of the wealthy. You can’t prove that to me ,but that’s what you think. The only people that matter are the ones that pay lots of money. Let’s get rid of everybody else.

What a Misguided and insulting argument on your part.

And if you could comprehend census estimates posted you would realize most of the positive growth is happening in the west end and south hills neighborhoods. I didn’t realize there were all of these rich people in Crafton heights and Sheraden. If anything the estimates reflect the salaries being paid and where people can afford in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh