Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2020, 05:12 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,642,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Yep, I know there was a bump in new cases today, but apparently that was because of a new lab that had a delay in reporting, so hopefully tomorrow we're back in the under 25 new cases a day we've been at for the most part. I believe we will be the first large city in the Northeast/Great Lakes to have the stay at home order lifted. Supposedly too though the report is that Beaver County will stay red which makes sense with the nursing home. The staff still goes home daily, so good to make sure the situation there is under control first.
Oh not to worry..most people here are not following any orders here unless given no option, and haven’t for a while. Way too many under the belief it’s a conspiracy or some stupid Facebook meme they last read before they went shopping. I had some equipment break two weeks ago and had to go get it fixed and was told...”we don’t do the mask stuff here”. Same thing at another local business last week. One venture into the local Facebook community page group made want to take a full shower when I came out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 06:44 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,020,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLawMan View Post
There we go. Allegheny to move to yellow phase on May 15: https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...FPL564HW24KTU/
Oh joy. So glad the government is allowing a few more things to go on. Meanwhile back during the Hong Kong Flu which killed 100,000 people in the US when our population was only 200 million and if you just plug in the death rate of that pandemic that number would be nearing 250,000 people dead with our population increase, not to mention average age is higher and NOTHIGN closed! Nothing. Schools open. Restaurants. Businesses doing okay. What happened to us? Media? News running our brains? Who is behind all of this? One has to wonder. The Hong Kong Flu wasn't that long ago on the big timeline. Over a million dead from it. The world's population and life expectancy was MUCH lower then, so the death rate would be MUCH higher from the Hong Kong Flu than it was then.

Sure is different today. We are really throwing away one heck of a lot of hard work.

Old 05-08-2020, 06:54 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
Oh not to worry..most people here are not following any orders here unless given no option, and haven’t for a while. .
Well if most people aren't following orders as you say and we are only having 2% of beds occupied by people with this pandemic, maybe this thing isn't all that it is made up to be with our media that seems to control our minds to a level it is VERY SCARY!

Look at the Hong Kong Flu and compare today to that pandemic that killed 100,000 in the US when our population was less than 2/3rds of what it is today and the average life was only 70 back then compared to 79 today, which would also drastically increase the death rate of the Hong Kong Flu. NOTHING CLOSED!

It is hard to grasp the difference, but there is more going on than most want to see. I think it is simple media control over us in the form of fear. All you see are people glued to it seeing things that create fear over and over again. We are under their control. Our minds stopped questioning and are now following a feed regardless of how logical the feed is. Fear sure is powerful, but it gives others that spread it power over us.

Might want to think about it and think about it logically. I am not condoning doing nothing like the Hong Kong Flu, but should fear run us to this level?

Last edited by gg; 05-08-2020 at 07:18 AM..

Old 05-08-2020, 07:10 AM

994 posts, read 503,618 times
Quote:
right now pnc would do better to move corporate to cleveland than keep it here. Their state isn’t a communist state.
lol.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:25 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,065,468 times
May 8: new infections per day, from last 16 days, starting with most distant:

61, 28, 21, 13, 13, 11, 38, 16, 30, 14, 12, 20, 10, 19, 45, 16

Only 2 deaths since yesterday - so that's good, but it would be great to see # of infections way low, and stay low.

Remember the Clinton years? There was Monica L, and other things people always make mountains out of, when they are but molehills....I miss those years. It was such innocence, in a way.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:33 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Remember the Clinton years? There was Monica L, and other things people always make mountains out of, when they are but molehills....I miss those years. It was such innocence, in a way.
Yep. What the media and ultra left is doing to people today is unprecedented. They even have all the healthy people locked up for no reason. The fear/negative machine is amazingly powerful. Guess we found out who is in control. It isn't really government, it is a demand of a response from crazy people that government needs to do in order to appease the ultra-left run media machine. If you don't have a response, the machine gets stronger and stronger and creates more fear. I feel for all the young people that are locked up for no reason and are just along for the fear ride. There is really no reason kids can't be out being active and socializing for mental health. We didn't do that to anyone during the Hong Kong Flu, but times have changed and changed fast. Fear is driving all of this through media channels and it isn't just the US. The media reaches the entire world.... well other than Sweden, the only hope we have left to show us how crazy we are being!

Old 05-08-2020, 10:42 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,256,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
Oh not to worry..most people here are not following any orders here unless given no option, and haven’t for a while. Way too many under the belief it’s a conspiracy or some stupid Facebook meme they last read before they went shopping. I had some equipment break two weeks ago and had to go get it fixed and was told...”we don’t do the mask stuff here”. Same thing at another local business last week. One venture into the local Facebook community page group made want to take a full shower when I came out.
Nobody said the virus isn’t real, however, there’s zero reason to not question what’s going on behind it, unless you’re simply a follower and believe everything the “experts” say, which is to stay locked down due to a virus with a 90+% recovery rate.

This is nowhere near close to a doomsday virus, but many are treating it like one.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:46 AM
gg

US unemployment spikes to a Depression-era level of 14.7%.

Welcome to our new world. Maybe we should have looked at history instead of letting our media fear dictate our actions. Just the beginning.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:50 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,066,281 times
I've been trying to avoid this thread, but I do want to say I think it's very, very sad that a significant proportion of Americans - as represented by some of the comments on this thread - think that in a time of national crisis, when tens of thousands of Americans are dying per week, the most important thing is defeating a political faction they're opposed to. People who think other Americans are a bigger threat to them than catching a disease which could possibly kill them.

I don't really think COVID-19 is a left/right issue. If you look to Europe, there's really no association with the ideology of the governing parties and how effective they've been at managing the crisis. There's absolutely no reason why this needs to become part of the partisan culture wars. Indeed, lots of GOP governors, like in Ohio, Maryland, and West Virginia, who have been as aggressive regarding containment policies as Democratic governors - and all three have 70%+ approval ratings now.

Even if everything opened up, it wouldn't "save the economy" regardless. Sweden is much talked about because they have decided to only have voluntary social distancing measures. Whatever you think of their results (more deaths per capita than the U.S. as a whole, though not as bad as New York) they are still projecting an economic contraction of 7%-10% this year - which is basically identical to European countries like Germany, France, and the U.K. which did lock down. There's simply no way we're not in a deep recession for the remainder of the year at the very least.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:51 AM

37,251 posts, read 39,538,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lmao. I didn’t say you had to be an educated buyer not to get bilked.

You’re acting like you know what it entails. You think they should employ less people and that the factories should own the dealerships. You’re clueless and you’re not going to get your wish anytime soon.
No, you said that someone who thought dealers did shady practices wouldn't be bilked if they were educated buyer. Good distinction there! You also said making note of shady practices makes that person sound like they have a poor credit rating.

I understand where you're coming from now that you're repeatedly trying to distance yourself from things you've said--I certainly wouldn't want to be pinned for saying things that are that dumb either!

I think an interesting part on top of that is that somehow you're pretending the dealerships are helping drive prices down for consumers because of more competition. However, they're middlemen, and one that you've claimed aren't going anywhere because of the great profit they make. So if these middlemen are making great profit, and yet there's an alternative direct to customer model, then how again is this better for the consumer? And I didn't say that dealerships are going to evaporate--I'm saying that I hope they get the screws turned on them so they have to greatly change their practices. I'm aware that dealerships have been very aggressive in lawsuits trying to prevent direct client sales from automakers that attempt to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh