Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 05:08 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

It is much better than back in the 80's riding around here, that is for sure.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/alle...NHNUKOKYBAVIQ/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 05:15 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is much better than back in the 80's riding around here, that is for sure.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/alle...NHNUKOKYBAVIQ/
Thats great. Hopefully they keep up with supporting bike, pedestrian, and transit infrastructure. There has been great progress in recent years and still great plans looking ahead. Peduto has been a strong advocate for bike infrastructure

Old 06-10-2020, 05:20 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
i think part of the long term plan is to put in a bike path/lane along Melwood - that wooded area below the Bloomfield Bridge. That would be a great cut-through without the usual amount of street traffic. I dont know if closure to cars is part of this.

The bike options in getting around are incredible compared to just 12 years ago or so.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:43 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Thats great. Hopefully they keep up with supporting bike, pedestrian, and transit infrastructure. There has been great progress in recent years and still great plans looking ahead. Peduto has been a strong advocate for bike infrastructure
I see a lot more cyclists than ever this year. Whole families as well riding around. I never thought I would see that. Just ride safely as there are a lot of angry people on the roadways, but so far it hasn't been too horrible for cyclists. If riding today remember to hydrate.

Take care all.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:42 AM

684 posts, read 419,644 times
Bike lane bill @#$!@*#!!!!

Old 06-10-2020, 10:45 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
Bike lane bill @#$!@*#!!!!
That’s mostly all he’s known for, which isn’t saying much.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
That’s mostly all he’s known for, which isn’t saying much.
i disagree. i think he has done a decent job. i will not vote for him, but that is because of a whole slew of reasons that is a bigger discussion. he is a person who cares about the city, and he has tried to accommodate the concerns of citizens.

i think he got lucky - pittsburgh's revitilization started under Ravenstahl, correct? (I was living out of town at the time), and so he may have benefitted from that momentum - especially with the comeback of Lawrenceville, and Downtown's vast improvements as a destination (which might have all but been undone recently).

edit - i am not within the 'in' crowd, so this is just my speculation - south hillians may disagree with me. their lives are more autocentric, more family centered (vs. the many, many single people of other areas, either young people or empty nesters). they are not as concerned, probably, with the arts, bike lanes, and bus service as they might be with use of baseball fields, traffic flow on south neighborhoods streets, etc.

So sure, not everyone is happy with Peduto....again, i am guessing from whispers thru the grapevine, Kail-Smith is quiet about it, but probably feels her constituency has been neglected. i'd agree with her, due to the potential *I* think there is to the western neighborhoods.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i disagree. i think he has done a decent job. i will not vote for him, but that is because of a whole slew of reasons that is a bigger discussion. he is a person who cares about the city, and he has tried to accommodate the concerns of citizens.

i think he got lucky - pittsburgh's revitilization started under Ravenstahl, correct? (I was living out of town at the time), and so he may have benefitted from that momentum - especially with the comeback of Lawrenceville, and Downtown's vast improvements as a destination (which might have all but been undone recently).

edit - i am not within the 'in' crowd, so this is just my speculation - south hillians may disagree with me. their lives are more autocentric, more family centered (vs. the many, many single people of other areas, either young people or empty nesters). they are not as concerned, probably, with the arts, bike lanes, and bus service as they might be with use of baseball fields, traffic flow on south neighborhoods streets, etc.

So sure, not everyone is happy with Peduto....again, i am guessing from whispers thru the grapevine, Kail-Smith is quiet about it, but probably feels her constituency has been neglected. i'd agree with her, due to the potential *I* think there is to the western neighborhoods.
I can’t think of much of anything of significance he’s done, and if you wouldn’t vote for him, that speaks volumes.

His legacy, unless something changes, he will be known as Bike Lane Bill.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:22 AM

but you are proudly in cranberry. that isnt even IN allegheny county! are you positive his administration is devoid of any successes?

he has been at odds with the school district (an entity i think is racist, mostly ineffective, and dangerous with our finances). i appreciate that. he has resisted that idiot's Hamlet's wish for tax increases.

he had opposed the police unions eventual privilege of residing out of the city limits. i once agreed with denying them that right. i do not feel that way now (i dont care, in fact, since i am looking for a mid-range plan to get the hell out of here anyway), but Peduto rightfully did not wish to allow that.

there are other pros his supporters might argue, erieguy.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
but you are proudly in cranberry. that isnt even IN allegheny county! are you positive his administration is devoid of any successes?

he has been at odds with the school district (an entity i think is racist, mostly ineffective, and dangerous with our finances). i appreciate that. he has resisted that idiot's Hamlet's wish for tax increases.

he had opposed the police unions eventual privilege of residing out of the city limits. i once agreed with denying them that right. i do not feel that way now (i dont care, in fact, since i am looking for a mid-range plan to get the hell out of here anyway), but Peduto rightfully did not wish to allow that.

there are other pros his supporters might argue, erieguy.
I’m proudly in Ft Myers and am proudly in Cranberry most of the year, which is approximately 25-30 minutes to the city depending on time of day and traffic situations.

I have friends and family in the city and am in the city most every week visiting and/or attending a venue/sporting event.

What successes of significance has his administration performed?

Rightfully? Highly debatable and good reason/s not to have residency restrictions.

Yep, I’m sure his supporters would, and I welcome hearing them.

erieguy is the name of a boat. It has zero to do with the city, county, state, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh